OK Time to upgrade my StarTAC, but to what? v265? SOHO?...?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 24, 2005 10:24:34 AM

Yes I'm a diehard, I have the data kit and clip-on speaker phone, The
clip-on speaker phone I use all the time in the car as here are no
headsets (I've tried several) I'm looking at the Moto V265 and the
Kyocera SOHO KX1v.

What I want is
1) good voice call qualtity
2) able to get and hold a signal
3) speaker phone, eitehr built in or clip on
4) added phone book functionality for more speed dial numbers adn add
voice dialing and commands

I keep the StarTAC mostly because I can't find anything with as good
sound quality and speaker phone. I want analoge so I can get signal in
"pink" areas of the map, Way upstate NY, VT and ME

What I'd like is to be able to assign a different speed dial numbers to
the seperate phone numbers in my contacts list instead of just the
primary number but don't know if any phone does that, do they? I think
the Kyocera might. The corelary would be adding voice command dialing
and ringers to individual numbers. The StarTAC will only dial the
primary number of a contact as the speed dial. And they are a PITA to
setup as if as teh speed dial number is the memory location

Does the v265 allow multiple numbers per contact? The guy at the
Verizon store said no but when I downloaded and read the manule looks
like there is a Settings option to show multiple numbers per contact.
but no other mention of setup or use

I really like being able to toggle between vibrate and ring mode
directly, Looks like the Kyocera's "Private Mode" will let me do that
but I don't see anything in the v265, I think the closest I can do is
program a custome key to put my into the ringer settings and set it
from there without making noise

What I'd like is a decent speaker phone, looks like the v265 will let
me keep the speaker phone on and use voice commands but not the
Kyocera. Anybody know how wither of these work when left open in the
car?

On the v265 it looks like I can only turn positioning on or off but in
the Kyocera I can have it on, on only for 911 calls or off. Is that
right?

I also briefly considered the LG 6100 but read some bad reviews that
reception was not the best.

Anything else I should really look at? Seems the nubmer of tri-mode
phones is dwindling and when I ask for a speaker phone it really
narrows the field. Parking a car on the streets of NY I don't want to
have a built in speaker phone

Appreciate the input
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:28:45 AM

"jt" <jeeptop2000@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Appreciate the input

Can you afford to switch to a phone that transmits 150-200 milliwatts of RF
power instead of your Startac's 600 milliwatts in the pink zone? They keep
turning the max power output of the phones down for the city folks to keep
them from hitting too many cells....to the detriment of the rural users, as
usual, of course.
June 25, 2005 8:04:51 AM

Good question but then if I find the new phone doesn't work a call to
customer service to swap the ESN bak is simple but.

In any event it was my understanding that with CDMA the tower
controlled the phones output.

Where do you find the power output stats? Does it differentiate between
AMPS and CDMA output?
Related resources
June 25, 2005 11:16:21 AM

Thanks for all the info.

What I hope to gain by upgrading the StarTAC is
built in speakerphone for car use. I use the StarTAC's clip on now,
it's great but

I forget to put it on and the phone rings.... I still havn't found a
headset I can use.

I want to be able to assign speed dial to all the numbers under each
name

I want to retain the ability to toggle in and out of vibrate mode (Fn+8
on the StarTAC)

I guess I give up the power but I get the newer technology CDMA so will
have access to more cell sites

The Kyocera SoHo probably comes closest to the feature set I want but
I"ve played with it a bit in the store and find the keys difficult to
use, that is press the right one.

>From what I've seen the Moto v710 and v265 will only let me assign
speed dial to the primary number. Plus one of teh Verizon TEcs told me
that the v265 comes back more than almost anyother phone (because it is
more popular?) and the v710.

I am actually at this point leaning towards the LG-vx-6100, hasn't
gotten the best reviews performance wise but I'm in New York City 90%
of the time so don't think that is too much of an issue. I like the
interface better than the others and, who knows, I might use the
camera. I can always through my old MicroTAC Elite with the car charger
into the glove box.
June 25, 2005 11:17:14 AM

Thanks for all the info.

What I hope to gain by upgrading the StarTAC is
built in speakerphone for car use. I use the StarTAC's clip on now,
it's great but

I forget to put it on and the phone rings.... I still havn't found a
headset I can use.

I want to be able to assign speed dial to all the numbers under each
name

I want to retain the ability to toggle in and out of vibrate mode (Fn+8
on the StarTAC)

I guess I give up the power but I get the newer technology CDMA so will
have access to more cell sites

The Kyocera SoHo probably comes closest to the feature set I want but
I"ve played with it a bit in the store and find the keys difficult to
use, that is press the right one.

>From what I've seen the Moto v710 and v265 will only let me assign
speed dial to the primary number. Plus one of teh Verizon TEcs told me
that the v265 comes back more than almost anyother phone (because it is
more popular?) and the v710.

I am actually at this point leaning towards the LG-vx-6100, hasn't
gotten the best reviews performance wise but I'm in New York City 90%
of the time so don't think that is too much of an issue. I like the
interface better than the others and, who knows, I might use the
camera. I can always through my old MicroTAC Elite with the car charger
into the glove box.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:36:53 PM

On 25 Jun 2005 04:04:51 -0700, "jt" <jeeptop2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In any event it was my understanding that with CDMA the tower
>controlled the phones output.

I'll be very interested to see good information here; my understanding
is that the phone selects output power based on its input signal from
the tower, so indirectly there is a tower component. Experts; does
the tower command a level?

>Where do you find the power output stats? Does it differentiate between
>AMPS and CDMA output?

In the "old days", it was in the manuals. Analog mode does (did) not
have the capability of having its power altered; the high power units
including, I think, the StarTAC 7868W, are 600mW. My StarTAC manual
does not have a specification page. New phones are, AFAIK, either
200mW or 300mW.

George
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:55:40 PM

GeorgeB <nospam@att.net> wrote in

> I'll be very interested to see good information here; my understanding
> is that the phone selects output power based on its input signal from
> the tower, so indirectly there is a tower component. Experts; does
> the tower command a level?

The cell commands the level of your transmitter. It's very important to
"turn down" the strong phones on the shared channel to a level in reason
with the phones farther away to prevent the strong phones from swamping the
receiver at the cell. If they are all reasonably level, it works fine.

> In the "old days", it was in the manuals. Analog mode does (did) not
> have the capability of having its power altered; the high power units
> including, I think, the StarTAC 7868W, are 600mW. My StarTAC manual
> does not have a specification page. New phones are, AFAIK, either
> 200mW or 300mW.

AMPS phones all ran wide open because noone else was on your channel but
you. AMPS is a simply narrow-band FM radio system with a control channel
for signalling. The mobiles and bagphones ran 3 watts from a gelcell.

The carriers keep foisting lower and lower powered phones on the customers
to increase revenue-per-square-mile in the cities where the money is. The
lower-powered the phones, the closer the cells with lower and lower
antennas, the more simultaneous calls can happen. This keeps you from
hearing system busy signals. More demand, more revenues. Newer phones are
going into the 150-200mw limits, now. I don't think any run 300mw.

Of course, out in the countryside, the lower powered phones have only a
couple of miles range from the cells, which are much farther apart except
on major highways, mostly interstates. The result for users out here is
they no longer have smooth coverage they had on their 3W carphones, but
have little footprints of coverage within 2 or 3 miles of each widely-
spaced cell.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:50:22 PM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> AMPS phones all ran wide open because noone else was on your channel but
> you. AMPS is a simply narrow-band FM radio system with a control channel
> for signalling. The mobiles and bagphones ran 3 watts from a gelcell.

At least here in the former GTE Mobilenet area of California, they
definitely used (and still use) the optional power control feature on
AMPS. It wasn't critical on AMPS as it is on CDMA, but it helped with
battery life (and with AMPS, you needed all the help you could get).
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:43:44 PM

I don't trust LG phones. I recommend Nokia. It's not sexy, but the
Nokia 6015 has speaker phone, voice activated dialing, and it holds on
to signal for dear life. It's tri-mode, which is good for VT, etc. like
you said, but also good for when, say, there's a cell site problem in
NYC, and a cruddy all digital LG phone is getting no service, a
tri-mode will at least pick up analog (depending on what the site
problem is of course). Being a diehard Moto fan though, you may not
like the Nokia menu tree, because it's a lot different. It's also not a
flip, but I have the 3589, which is ugly, but hey it works!
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:00:26 AM

"Richard Ness" <richard.no@gamn.spam.nessnet.com> wrote in news:-
JSdnRJSJIugMCDfRVn-iw@comcast.com:

> 2 errors

AS you are so smart....why didn't YOU post what you KNEW to the person
asking the question.......instead of flailing away in the sandbox with the
Tonka Truck at anyone who dared say anything positive?

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:00:27 AM

Larry W4CSC wrote:

> why didn't YOU post what you KNEW to the person
> asking the question.......instead of flailing away in the sandbox with the
> Tonka Truck

The phrase "what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" comes to mind.

Another phrase, "pot, kettle, black" also comes to mind.

Anytime ANYONE dares to argue with anything you say regarding cellular
carriers (not just Verizon), they are labeled apologists. I don't believe
I've seen you concede a single point to anyone in the few years I've read
your stuff. Instead, you choose to issue ad hominems right and left.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:00:27 AM

Sorry Steve, nope. Not even close, so no cigar for you!

Yes, I was in the biz for quite a few years, but in the past. I worked for
what was then U S West New Vector, then U S West Cellular and then AirTouch.
Also Nextel for awhile. But that was now quite a few years ago and I
absolutely do not work for any carrier currently. I'm now simply an educated
and fairly well informed customer. My solid background in the cellular
business / RF engineering simply gives me a very good technical background
on the subject.

It's my low tolerance for the BS, personal opinions stated as fact and
outright fiction that I admit (may) make me sound like a shill on occasion.

Steve, trust me. If I ever didn't like anything Verizon did, I wouldn't
hesitate for a second to say so. Here, or anywhere else.

news:D 9l6gi$tuf$1@ratbert.glorb.com...

> Company shill!
>
> *cough*
>
> (someone had to say it)
>
> --
> JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
> Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the
> temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)
>
> "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:46:05 AM

Richard Ness wrote:

> Steve, trust me. If I ever didn't like anything Verizon did, I wouldn't
> hesitate for a second to say so. Here, or anywhere else.

Uh - I was joking.

--

!