Been away from PC Gaming for a while. What did i miss?

dlesko

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Hey guys. My old computer was unable to run current games for the last 4 years or so. Im finally able to build a new computer and it will be able to run anything out there today. Here is my question......what have i missed game wise? Ive been looking into what games i want and i have a decent idea of what is out there when it comes to current or soon to be released games. Where i have my problem is what did i miss from 2009 or so until now? Can you guys give me some recomendations on FPS, RPG and strategy games from the last 4 years or so that are just cant miss? What are some of the best games in the categories from the last few years? Thanks!

Ratbeely

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

I will give you a quick rundown of some games from each year that I enjoyed:

2009:
Batman Arkham Asylum (action game, but should not be missed)
Dragon Age: Origins (RPG)
Torchlight (ARPG)
King's Bounty: Armored Princess (Strategy)
Borderlands (FPS)

2010:
Mass Effect 2 (RPG)
Civilization V (Strategy)
Metro 2033 (FPS)
Starcraft 2 (strategy)

2011:
Elder Scrolls V: Skryim (RPG)
Batman: Arkham City (See Batman: AA above)
Battlefield 3 (FPS)
The Witcher 2 (RPG)

2012:
XCOM (Strategy)
Borderlands 2 (FPS)
Far Cry 3 (FPS)
Dark Souls (ARPG)
FTL (Strategy, don't let the graphics fool you. It is a great game)
Legend of Grimrock (RPG, same as FTL, this is a great little dungeon crawler)

Please be advised that these are games that I have played. There are loads of other top quality games out there that I have yet to experience. 2012 is a great year for games on the PC. Other top games that you could check out are: Dishonored, Walking Dead, Mark of the Ninja, Mass Effect 3, Torchlight II, Diablo III, Max Payne 3, Alan Wake, Crusader Kings II, Kingdoms of Amalur.