startup message on xp

My system just started to show a message just before it boots into
win. The message says something about PXE Boot agent and version #,
the next line says PXE-E something: Base Code=(with a code inside of
qoutes) and the last line says Exiting Boot Agent and then the system
boots into windows with no problem. The only reason this concerns me
is that it has never displayed this message before. I call gateway
tech, they check the bois boot setup, had me change the boot options
and move my hd to the #3 position behind the dvd burner, and floopy,
now when I boot into windows I get in the lower right hand corner of
the screen that shows gateways and Pent.4 logo's, just before the
screen goes blank for a second or two, Bois=(F10) Setup=(F2). Gateways
says its the battery and will send a replacement, the tech said
whenever you start seeing these types of message and boot option
change by themselfs it indicates the battery is going bad. Anyone
every come across a problem like this? P-4 3.0, 514mem, 160sata hd,
128mb video, sb aud. soundcard window xp home. Thanks Carl

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

maybe the battery came loose? could try pressing it in gently. ground
yourself on the case and unplug AC power plug from back of case first.

"CLyles" <ccrlyles@aol.com> wrote in message
> My system just started to show a message just before it boots into
> win. The message says something about PXE Boot agent and version #,
> the next line says PXE-E something: Base Code=(with a code inside of
> qoutes) and the last line says Exiting Boot Agent and then the system
> boots into windows with no problem. The only reason this concerns me
> is that it has never displayed this message before. I call gateway
> tech, they check the bois boot setup, had me change the boot options
> and move my hd to the #3 position behind the dvd burner, and floopy,
> now when I boot into windows I get in the lower right hand corner of
> the screen that shows gateways and Pent.4 logo's, just before the
> screen goes blank for a second or two, Bois=(F10) Setup=(F2). Gateways
> says its the battery and will send a replacement, the tech said
> whenever you start seeing these types of message and boot option
> change by themselfs it indicates the battery is going bad. Anyone
> every come across a problem like this? P-4 3.0, 514mem, 160sata hd,
> 128mb video, sb aud. soundcard window xp home. Thanks Carl

Go into the BIOS setup and either disable the network (PXE) boot, or move
that option below the one for the hard drive in the boot priority list.

"CLyles" <ccrlyles@aol.com> wrote in message
> My system just started to show a message just before it boots into
> win. The message says something about PXE Boot agent and version #,
> the next line says PXE-E something: Base Code=(with a code inside of
> qoutes) and the last line says Exiting Boot Agent and then the system
> boots into windows with no problem. The only reason this concerns me
> is that it has never displayed this message before. I call gateway
> tech, they check the bois boot setup, had me change the boot options
> and move my hd to the #3 position behind the dvd burner, and floopy,
> now when I boot into windows I get in the lower right hand corner of
> the screen that shows gateways and Pent.4 logo's, just before the
> screen goes blank for a second or two, Bois=(F10) Setup=(F2). Gateways
> says its the battery and will send a replacement, the tech said
> whenever you start seeing these types of message and boot option
> change by themselfs it indicates the battery is going bad. Anyone
> every come across a problem like this? P-4 3.0, 514mem, 160sata hd,
> 128mb video, sb aud. soundcard window xp home. Thanks Carl

I move the PXE to 4th option below hd, thats when I started to get the F10 and
F2 message on startup before I move the PXE to the last position I was getting
pervious messages. Clyles

If the hard drive is above the PXE boot, and you're still seeing the
message, scan the drive with the test utility from its manufacturer - it may
be failing.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message news:<7gstc.22650$nd.8964@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> If the hard drive is above the PXE boot, and you're still seeing the
> message, scan the drive with the test utility from its manufacturer - it may
> be failing.
>

> "Ccrlyles" <ccrlyles@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I move the PXE to 4th option below hd, thats when I started to get the F10
> and
> > F2 message on startup before I move the PXE to the last position I was
> getting
> > pervious messages. Clyles

One of the first things gateways tech had me do was a quick scan using
gwscan, the results said no problem detected, and after adjusting the
boot options and the F10/F2 message started to show up he determined
it was the battery. Do you think it would more likely be the battery
or the hd? Clyles

Well, the battery is a cheap and easy replacement to try... Ben Myers