Wanting to upgrade; need advice

Jordane7

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello,

I am not that familiar with computers and I was looking for advice. I am looking into upgrading my computer some way or the other. I am looking for something that is a good investment for the future since I do enjoy a lot of PC games. I am currently playing Guild Wars 2 (and Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 6 in the near future). The problems that I am trying to address are loading Lion's Arch faster and increasing frame rates/performance during large scale events and during World vs World. I seem to be fine when I am not in large groups, but that's the content I am more drawn to. . I *am* willing to upgrade my PSU up to 600w (currently 460w) if need be.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 820 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5670
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Please let me know what other information you need! :D

a gpu upgrade would give you the biggest boost something like a hd 7870 would be ideal.
a cpu cooler wouldnt go amiss either then overclock the cpu to 3.2-3.6ghz.
if you dont want to oc then the amd x4 965 would be a decent upgrade on the cpu.
other than that theres not a lot you need to do.
you dont mention what hdd setup you have, but if you have 2 identical 1s you could raid 0 them, set up 2 partitions 1 for the o.s and apps and the other larger section for fast storage.
all in you can look at 220-450 (if you go cpu/gpu/psu and hdd)
a phenom 2 965 can be had for as litle as 85 if you shop about.

Jordane7

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I was definitely looking at that card, but I was unsure if that only would help. If I go with that card, then I would definitely have to get the 600w power supply, right? Also, if I do upgrade the graphic card and processor, that should be enough, right?

A GPU upgrade is like Hexit said the most important and a Good quality 500W will be fine for a 7870 if you can try to get the 7870 LE version. To improve load time a SSD is what you need but your motherboard may not support the mode I can't remember the name of to enable trim to stop it slowing down over time.