best aircooler?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I was looking at Coolermaster hyper6 and the Thermaltake equivilant. I looked around for benchmarks of the two, but I could not find one where they compare the two. I plan on using this on an Athlon64 3500 to keep those tems down when I OC it. I would like to try (may not be possble, but woth the effort) to get it to 2.6 speed.

Eitherway I would like to keep the temps down on it without watercooling (not my thing realy). So witch one is better? Coolermaster Hyper6 or the Thermaltake?

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

you might try a Heatsink with Heat pipes. I'm not sure wether the above two have or now, I'm just too lazy to search :tongue:

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I've got a 2500+ with an all copper heat sink and a 5500 RPM Fan.. Thermletake Volcano 12.. Nice thing. I think it can cool up to a 3200..

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In most heatsinks the heatpipes do nothing and are just there for looks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Looks like they work in the Hyper6. They bring the heat to seperate fins. I was looking at the thermalright that they are talking about and it seems much better and smaller!

wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

Probe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
I was looking for a comparison between some coolers myself. Yes, they are both heatpipe coolers. We should have a review with a comparison between of all the major heatpipe coolers out in the market now.

1) ThermalTake Tower112 (CL-P0024)
2) Thermaltake SilentTower (CL-P0025)
3) AeroCool High Tower HT-101
4) AeroCool Deep Impact DP-102
5) Thermalright XP-120
6) Thermalright XP-90
7) Thermalright SLK-948U
8) Coolermaster Hyper 6

Does anybody know if any site has a comparison between them?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I haven't examined the Hyper 6, but standard sinks where the fins run all the way to the core are unaffected by the pipe because the fins do as good a job of conducting heat as the pipe would. That means the pipe doesn't even have enough heat differential to cause functional phase change.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yeah. That would be great to see a nice, extencive review on all of those!

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yeah. The Hyper6 fins are only attached to the pipes. So, seems like they work realy good.

Probe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Here's a nice review of most of the top coolers in the market right now, seems that the thermalright xp-120 and xp-90 are among the best performers even though they are aluminium...

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=914&articID=196

Ordered both the XP-120 and XP-90 today...

XP-120 won't fit on my Gigabyte 8INXP (E7205 Granite Bay) motherboard, but the XP-90 will :) I have a P4 2.4A running at 3Ghz on it... Temps at 77 degrees celcius under load and 45 degrees idle.

I got another P4 2.4B running at 3.1Ghz on a ASUS P4C800 Deluxe. The XP-120 will fit on this board.

Hopefully I will be able to crank up the speed on these 2 rigs even more after I have some decent cooling, right now they are running with the stock Intel coolers.