Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I recently received a celeron 633 with a AOpen MX3W Pro-V MOBO with 256 PC133 KingMax ram and wanted to know what can I do to overclock it as I can only overclock by increasing the voltage in the BIOS. I currently have it running at 760Mhz by going into the Frequency/Voltage Control in the BIOS and setting the CPU Speed Setup to 80x3.5=280. I was wondering if I lowered the first number and raised the second number if this would be better and just work up that way or if I kept 80 and just raised the 3.5 up as it raises in 0.5 increments. What is the best way to get the highest yet stable machine possible by changing these settings and is there a program that helps me to OC it or is there another spot in the BIOS to help in OCing as well and also can I OC the ram of this machine. I don't really care if the machine dies as it was free and it is just being used as practice for later machines.

My Mum always said God has a plan, guess I was Plan B

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Celeron has locked multiplier, for you, it's 66x9.5=633MHz
so the only way you can overclock ur cpu is by raising the first value. (the FSB)
that's how you get ur 760MHz= 80x9.5.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like Nites said, your multiplier is locked. Probably the best setting is 100MHz bus and 1.85v core, if that's stable. Settings between 80 and 100 probably won't work because your PCI and onboard graphics will be running at non-standard speeds and highly overclocked. The "standard" settings of 66, 100, and 133 are the only speeds where you don't overclock the PCI bus, and 133 won't work with your CPU.

100MHz bus gets you 950MHz from your 9.5x locked CPU. I'd try that first. Start with 1.85v core, and test it for stability. If it's stable, try 1.80v core (makes the processor run cooler), and if that works test for stability. In your situation it's best to find the lowest vCore that works stabley with the 100MHz bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I tried to increase the first number but 80 is as high as it goes and the second number only goes to 8 so I now have it running at 80x8=640 and it is still only running at 760Mhz which is the same as when it was set at 80x3.5=280 why won't it go any higher than 760Mhz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, you've really struck a nerve, I hate repeating myself or anyone else more than once. The second number has no affect. With your CPU, 80x2.5=760. 80x8=760. So you see the second number does nothing, the reason is because your CPU has it's multiplier locked at 9.5.

So the only thing you can do is figure out how to raise the first number to 100. Your board supports that first number up to 155.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I had a look around and I couldn't find anywhere in the bios to raise the first number any ideas where it would be located or is this the highest result I can get from my computer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an idea what might be the problem, but I really shouldn't say anything to a newbie.

OK, I'll say a little: Your BIOS might be limitting the bus speed based on the base bus speed of 66MHz. There's a way to make it see the CPU as a 100MHz bus version, but it's too risky for you're newbiness.

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Well as I said it doesn't matter if it dies as I got it for free and it is practice for later projects so it will be better to learn now and make a mistake than to do it later and kill a machine that I have spent alot of money on. so what can I do.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In order to make the board detect it as a 100MHz bus Celeron (a Celeron 950 in this case), you would break off the pin labled BSEL0 in the pin charts downloaded from Intel.