P4 3.6GHz "Prescott" cooling issues

CharlieR

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2004
Upon deciding to build a new system I chose the ASUS P5AD2 Premium, along with Corsair DDR2 XMS2, an Enermax 600W "Noisetaker" power supply, and a P4 775 560 "Prescott" processor. I've not been able to install XP Pro because the system shuts down due to overheating during the install - the system idles at 65 degrees C. Following Intel's advice, I purchased a new case and the problem persists. Intel is now shipping me a new P4. After removing the questionable processor, upon close examination of the motherboard, I found a pin missing in the ASUS motherboards’ processor socket. ASUS tech support reviewed my situation and stated it was not anything I'd done and suggested I go back to the vendor I'd bought it from since it was still in the first 30 days following the purchase. AJUMP.COM REFUSED TO EXCHANGE THE BOARD STATING I HAD DAMAGED IT.

As for as the board goes - I believe it to be a great choice offering the best in expansion capabilities. I took months deciding upon my components. I've found ASUS tech support to be excellent. Corsair was also excellent in helping me with the correct settings for their memory.

AVOID AJUMP.COM - THEY WILL IGNORE YOU IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG AND LEAVE YOU WITH DAMAGED GOODS!

CharlieR
Austin, TX

JorgeSD

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
So what was the cooling issue? What new case did you have to use (TAC?), which one? Which case did you have before? Did you ever resolve the CPU problem (pin)? Wondering if you still have cooling issues?