What do you consider "playable" framerates?

it depends. theres lots of games where you can get 60 fps but the game still looks jerky. this is often down to the cards and its ability to handle frame latency (time between 1 frame and another being displayed) currently nvidia has the better ability to handle this so a game that looks jerky on 30 fps will look smoother on an nvidia 6 series card than on an ati 7 series card.

30 fps should be playable as long as its a solid 30 the other real stinger is fps droop where you drop for 60 to 40 but if you limit that game to 30 fps it will look smoother and play better. you should always try and minimize the fps droop even if it means you drop your fps from 90 to 60. if you can get 60 and your drooping to 55 then it wont be as noticeable than dropping from 120 to 80 so max fps means very little in smooth gaming terms. the minimum and average are the more important. the closer you can get them the smoother your games will be. regardless of whether your running at 30 , 60 or 120 fps...
30 fps is very playable with a little blur applied. 60 you should turn blur off and 120 you should increase the settings to drop you back down to 60 as theres no actual benefit 1s your over the max packet allowance.

connor417

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

It all depends on the game and the GAMER. 30fps is always sufficient if its consistent. And a human eye cannot notice the difference between 60 and 120 fps. If ur playing first person game you'll need 40 fps atleast.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

I've noticed this lately. I couldn't stand playing FarCry3 at anything less than 60 FPS. Any time it would fall into the 50's or 40's it would just feel stuttery and almost make me sick after awhile.

Whereas other games (like Crysis) would seem smooth with only 30+ FPS.

Bare minimum (means it should never fall under it) 25.
acceptable 30
great 40
Perfect 50 or more.

THe more varaible the frame rate is, the more it seems to "lag". So if coding of a game is very bad, it will look unplayable even at 60 fps.

This happens becouse our eyes and brain get used to a certain frame rate, and if it keeps changing, our brain needs to keep up with it (impossible at how fast it changes). From there comes the feeling that a game is unaplayble even at higer frame rates than normally playable.

1st person or over the shoulder view, mouse driven: 60+ (only due to simulator sickness, 40-50 would be for a normal person. 80+ is optimal)
Anything else: 30+, with no dips below 30.

It is not so much about the visual smoothness that requires 60+ for playability in 1st person games when using a mouse. It is the latency and how using a mouse exposes every little bit of latency you have.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Please stop spreading misinformation, so sick of people saying crap like this.

Why do people continue to believe this myth? It's utterly and completely WRONG.

As for myself, I dislike playing at anything below 80fps - I'll turn down settings to achieve that as a bare minimum.

MINIMUM 30 for EVREYTHING but it mostly depends on what type of game you play or witch game you play in an fps you want the max framrates you can get for reacting really fast but for an rpg you don't need that high framerates i would say 40 fps minimum for me

if its playing smooth and your not seeing lots of sheearing you wont be able to tell the difference between 30-40 or 50, when you hit 60 you would notice in increase in sharpness over 30. as long as the fps is constant and your not getting any fps droop it shouldnt matter as long as your over 30.
anything between 31 and 59 fps will cause shearing depending on the frequency of your monitor. anything over 61 to 119 will also cause shearing. again depending on the frequency of your monitor... if you have an old crt that runs at 72 then 72 fps is your optimum. half that will also work as will double... but claiming 40 fps is acceptable when your running on a 60hz screen is just madness. you want 60 fps so you dont get shearing and tearing...

want an example. run bf3 and get in a chopper with a side mounted spit gun. pull the trigger and watch your screen start banding... this is the shearing... now drop your settings till your 60 minimum and turn on vsync... jump in and pull the trigger... and look at the difference... no banding and you can see everything your shooting at.

so you can claim what you like for whats suitable for you but whats suitable for your pc seems to be a completely different matter. what ever response your monitor needs is your recommended minimum requirement. any less than that your settling for second best.