xp 3000+ will not change cpu ratio.

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
hello.(as many people do not want me to call them friends,as i have criticized many aspects of the politic in america)i just want some help...

i have a gigabyte GA 7N400 PRO 2,i think with bios version 1.0.i have an xp 3000+, and i´ve tried changing the cpu multiplier in an abit an7 guru,and in the one i have now...and it´s imposible.i can´t set less then 13.how can this be posible?don´t tell me that amd has sold chips really blocked either up and down?or am i doing something wrong?does anyone has my same mobo and tell what the hell he has done??
thanks to all by advance.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooser

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooser

RichPLS

Champion
eewwwe!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
LOL

I may not agree with what someone says, but that won't stop me from helping someone peacefully... Heck, I disagree with about 50% of the US population if the latest election is any indication (and so does almost everyone else who voted - 48%, 51%, or 99% depending on who you voted for).

Now, to your question.

Yes, Athlon XP cpus are multiplier locked both up and down and have been for a couple years. Athlon 64 cpus are partially unlocked.

It is possible to do pin-mods or possibly bridge mods to unlock your chip or change multiplier, but I don't know where to find out because I have no interest in finding out.

Mike.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some are completely locked, others aren't. Of those that aren't, some work at multipliers up to 12.5x, others work with multipliers from 13x upward, due to AMD repeating the multiplier settings. There's a method for modifying unlocked AMD's with a multiplier from 13x upward to make it an unlocked AMD with multipliers from 12.5x downward. I think Tom's has an article from about 2 years ago.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
the model i have is 0436 and i can change it for a 0438 (i mean on the second line...first there are words,than four numbers)is it true that from 0342 and above they are all locked???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm sorry, but I simply don't know. You need a geek for such advice. No, I don't mean the definition "people who eat live animals", I mean "computer geek".

See, there's a difference between a geek or nerd and a technologist. The difference is, enthusiasm. The geeks and nerds memorize this stuff. Depending on their interest, some can tell you every character of a certain scifi TV series, even guest characters, and describe them. That's not me, I only remember stuff I can use practically in my work.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
jajajajaja i´ve found a 0438 dkv4 !!!!!E!!!! jejejejejeje an xp 3000+ with fsb 400x10.5!!!! it´s incredible...i thought there weren´t this cpus in the market!!!ohhh god thanks!!!!

RichPLS

Champion
damn, crash, pissant considers you his god.
maybe now he will show you proper respect.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A lot of stuff quickly...

All AMD Desktop Socket A processors as of 0339, week 39 2003, are reportedly "super locked", meaning they cannot be unlocked by any means, period.

Fortunately for overclockers

- Mobile XPs are not "super locked". In fact, they are UNLOCKED.

- All the the so called "super locked" processors can be modified to be "mobile" processors and multipliers can then be changed via software. This is pot luck deal, though. It depends on the particular motherboard, chipset, BIOS manufacturer (AMI or AWARD), and in some circumstances the raw overclockability of your particular CPU. Chipset is not a factor except no one has figured out how to change soft multipliers on nForce or nForce2 motherboards.

All that said, it sound like you have been changing multipliers. If you can change any multipliers and have them actually work then your processor is unlocked. Post back if you can do this because there are more possibilities to your problem if your CPU happens to be unlocked.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You think other people's abhorent political beliefs would persuade me to mistreat them? Such a petty god would be unworthy of their worship!

piskeante

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
thanks for your input,i was looking forward to seeing and athlon xp unlocked,but here in spain...we do not have "old" processor from the weeks you´ve said.i consider myself lucky to have found an xp3000 with fsb 400.its from week 0438.i´ve tried changing multiplier but it won´t go.i have a gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO 2 so with chip nforce.actually i am at bus 210 with prime 95 running for 6 hours without errors and having changed vcore for 5% and increased vram for 0.1v.my processor runs at 200x10.5.now at 210x10.5.
i´m very happy.though i feel disappointed when i see that P4 in sisoft sandra just blow me out.

thanksssss

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Are Mobile Bartons (XP-M) available in Spain?

Full load temperature of 55 tells me that you probably won't overclock much higher unless you improve cooling. Plus many nForce2 boards have trouble going beyond 210-220 Mhz without a ROMSIP mod'd BIOS and these are only available for a handfull of motherboards. You also need pretty good memory unless you run it asychronously.

I'd kill for an nForce2 mobo and just 200 Mhz operation. I'm still using a KT133A mobo and SDRAM (yuck!).

At least, I have a Tbred B overclocked to 2.1 Ghz.

<b>[EDIT]</b>
Oops, The ROMSIP BIOSes are intended for the 166 Mhz FSB processors being pushed beyond 200 Mhz. A 200 Mhz FSB processor, like yours, doesn't need the mod'ed BIOS.

The mod'd BIOS substitues the 200 Mhz FSB timing tables for the 166 Mhz ones making overclocked 166 Mhz FSB processors more stable at high FSB speeds, sometimes up to 275 Mhz (according to some user claims).

I don't know if the mod'd BIOS do anything for the 200 Mhz FSB processors.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 11/15/04 02:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>