Make cheap-ass PC silent

SpeedGeek

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
ok, so i put together this 100$ computer for a cheap'ass friend, the computer works fine, but its kind of loud,
and the case is located right next to his bed so he cant keep it on all night to download stuff cause he wants to sleep (the bastard),
i opened the case and most of the noise comes out of the CPU fan.
my question is,
how do i make this PC quiter?
i know generaly what to do, but this must be cheap!
in the 10$ maximum range.

and there is another problem, i cant (or, its very hard) to change the CPU Fan because its one of those onboard cpu's and the fan is screwed on to the motherboard.

so what? blankets? pillows? foams? tap-water cooling?

~ forgive my stupid questions ~

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Could you give a few more specifics on the system?
What is your current cpu/cpu cooler?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
hit the off button and enjoy, PM me for my address to mail me the $10

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
its one of those onboard cpu's and the fan is screwed on to the motherboard
The only onboard CPU's I know of are the via Eden/C3 range? Unless you are talking about a lot CPU which has the fan and heatsink attached.
What CPU you using? Is performance in issue (you could underclock the CPU and then usea very low RPM fan.

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
rewire your fans to 5 volts
rewire your powersupply to 5 volts
Buy a zalman fan mate for $5 and hook it up to the cpu

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe it's one of those cheap boards with a mobile Duron soldered on? What did they call those things, Gigasomething for the 800MHz Duron version. I think it was Gigapro. 1 Gigapro is 800MHz, hehe.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SpeedGeek

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
this is the board
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/l7vmm/l7vmmp1.htm

its an ECS L7VMM with onboard AthlonXP 2200+
but funny enough, i cant find a version of the onboard cpu online, only one without a cpu.

i thought about a new fan, but in israel thats a lot of money... (a good silent fan is like 30-40$).

any other thoughts?
come on guys.. be creative...

~ forgive my stupid questions ~

RichPLS

Champion
ive heard posted here before, that you can submerge pc in tub of oil, which eliminates need for fans, and good cooling along with completely silent operation.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thoughts? Yes, I think the XP2200+ is a socketed CPU and the sink is clipped onto the socket in either 2 or 6 points. I think that an XP2200+ doesn't need an extreme amount of cooling. I think that if you can find one, the old large PIII coolers would work fine. I think that you could just add a thick, quiet 60mm fan to the stock sink if you wanted. A 60mm fan of 25mm thickness that runs at around 2800RPM should be fine. If you have a high speed fan (5800-7200RPM), you can cut the speed down by wiring it up for 7v. 7v would be easily achieved on a 3-pin fan by cutting the ground wire (black) and connecting it to a 5v source (any red wire).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>