Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Black Ops 2 high ping

Last response: in Video Games
February 24, 2013 12:07:17 AM

I downloaded it from Steam because its free to play this weekend, worked fine in the morning but now everytime i'm in a match the ping is very very high. 999. Can't even play 2 seconds of it. However on BF3 my ping remains a steady 60. Also for both the games my CPU is nearly at full usage is that normal? I have a intel core i5 3350p and a MSI Radeon HD 7770 8gb of ram

More about : black ops high ping

February 24, 2013 12:19:23 AM

ping has little to do with your kit apart from the Ethernet, router and connection.
if your hitting 999 its likely some1 else is using your bandwidth, either wirelessly or there on your network.
downloading, streaming and basic web surfing can cause your ping to max out or bounce. so unless your on a dedicated line your gonna have issues.

if its wireless then it could be your at the extreme range of your routers signal and if you are it may be breathing. as it goes in and out your signal will increase and decrease. on the decrease your ping will rise and you will likely start loosing packets.(packets are the data transfer bursts)

all you can do is move to a wire and turn off the wireless.

you can tracert to the servers ip and see if your getting and *'s on the hops. most connections will take about 10 hops to get to its destination but the more there are the higher yur ping will be and if theres a high ping or timeout (shown by *'s where the ip addi should be or hop length should be) you will get an increase in the lines over all ping.

so try turning off your modem/router for 30 seconds reconnect and hop the connection takes a different rout to the game server.

also check the router and firewalls ports are set correctly.
m
l
February 24, 2013 1:35:54 AM

HEXiT said:
ping has little to do with your kit apart from the Ethernet, router and connection.
if your hitting 999 its likely some1 else is using your bandwidth, either wirelessly or there on your network.
downloading, streaming and basic web surfing can cause your ping to max out or bounce. so unless your on a dedicated line your gonna have issues.

if its wireless then it could be your at the extreme range of your routers signal and if you are it may be breathing. as it goes in and out your signal will increase and decrease. on the decrease your ping will rise and you will likely start loosing packets.(packets are the data transfer bursts)

all you can do is move to a wire and turn off the wireless.

you can tracert to the servers ip and see if your getting and *'s on the hops. most connections will take about 10 hops to get to its destination but the more there are the higher yur ping will be and if theres a high ping or timeout (shown by *'s where the ip addi should be or hop length should be) you will get an increase in the lines over all ping.

so try turning off your modem/router for 30 seconds reconnect and hop the connection takes a different rout to the game server.

also check the router and firewalls ports are set correctly.

I always run wired on games and turn off my wireless and even if its on i have a password set. Only my PC is connected to it (PS3 isn't on)
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 5:42:42 AM

then in that case you need to test your connection with tracrt to the game server your looking to use. if you know its ip addi.

to run a trace. open the cmd promt with admin privs.
type tracert (www .whateverip/your testing, you can use an ip or web addi. ) and hit return.
you will then get a list of ip,s your line is using to get to the server host.

m
l

Best solution

February 24, 2013 11:53:45 AM

The high ping you are experiencing in COD BO2 is a result of the new patch released on Friday the 22nd of February Treyarch programmers are busy working on a solution to fix the problem ;)  http://community.callofduty.com/message/414135092
February 26, 2013 12:14:31 AM

Best answer selected by noobie121.
m
l
!