Sign in with
Your question

im building a new pc...advice please

Last response: in Overclocking
November 12, 2004 8:24:23 PM

hi there. i just registered to ask you fine tech savvy folks advice about building a new PC. here is some info to help you help me.

i want to go the athlon route, but not the pricey 64 bit. im a gamer so a nice medium range ati graphics card is what im after. i just bought new RAM. will these fit the new mobo im thinking off. heres their specs...133mhz, sdram. ive 1gb in there now and i want to keep as much of mu current pc as possible (hard drives, dvd etc)so i think all i need is a mobo, processor and a graphics card really. what would be a good combo. what is the fastest cpu made by amd athlon withought going 64 bit? thanks in advance guys. ill give any more info if needed

More about : building advice

November 15, 2004 2:21:37 AM

You def need to upgrade that ram dude you are messing up already sheesh!(ancient) at least pc 2700 better yet pc3200,ocz,corsair,crucial,mushkin,kingston. pc-133WTF?!
November 18, 2004 10:00:15 PM

Oh come on, his 133 SDRAM will play MS Hearts with almost no hesitation!

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>
Related resources
November 18, 2004 10:14:45 PM

Ok d00d vchuck is right, desktop motherboards stopped supporting SDRAM about 2 years ago now. Ok Athlon64's are AMD's standard chips now, they are phasing out the XP's (they may have even stopped production?). You have the folling choices, all of which will require new RAM, motherboard, graphics and prolly PSU:
1. Get an athlon XP - Cheap, still pretty good(for now), no future upgradability, Althon64's are faster

2. Get a sempron - This is essentially an athlon64 without 64bit implementation and with half the cache, half the cache makes it significantly worse than the XP's/64's in some apps, socket754 offers limited upgradability

3. Get a socket 939 Athlon64 - Unparelled gaming performance, winchester versions are great overclockers, can be picked up for about £130 now ($200?), socket939 is gonna be around for a while so will be good for upgrades.

You will need either a socket A (athlon XP), socket 754 (semprons, some Athlon64's) or socket 939 (Athlon64/FX) motherboard.
At least 512Mb of RAM(if you are using a socket 939 MB its best to get two seperate 256MB DIMMS for dual channel).
New graphics card, I recommend the 9800Pro, XT700 or Geforce6600/6800.
Might be an idea to get a new hard drive while you are at it.
And by all means get a good PSU.
November 19, 2004 4:09:07 PM

Quote:
2. Get a sempron - This is essentially an athlon64 without 64bit implementation and with half the cache, half the cache makes it significantly worse than the XP's/64's in some apps, socket754 offers limited upgradability

Pretty inaccurate description. Only the Sempron 3100+ currently is crippled A64 architecture. The rest are Athlon XPs. Essentially the Thoroughbred core running on Socket A. Of course, the only Sempron I would consider buying is the 3100+, but that's beside the point. :smile:

Your point, however, is valid. XP, A64 on 754, or A64 on 939, and 939 is by far the better choice today. Hardly any price differential between 754 and 939 today (well, some, but its well worth it for the other advantages).

An A64 3000+ Winchester can be had for about $150 if you get a good deal now (maybe it was 160... not 100% sure) and that makes for a $300 cpu/mobo combo. Darn good performance, and good overclocking potential as well.

Mike.
!