Sign in with
Your question

Guild wars 2 Low Frame rate

Last response: in Video Games
February 24, 2013 12:50:57 AM

Recently I purchased GW2 & have experienced some difficulty with the game. When in-game, everything freezes up to the point of dropping down to 1 FPS. It happens about every two minutes & lasts for about a minute. I cant do anything about it, so I usually just stand there & try to be patient for it to resort back to normal (in my case 16 FPS max). I've looked at all the threads concerning this issue, but most of the people seem concerned with 'only' getting 30-40 FPS (which is something I'd kill for). I also understand that this seems to be an issue thats been beaten to death, but I didn't stumble across a case such as mine while looking. While computer competent, I'm not exactly 'savvy' with talk about processors, graphic cards etc. Here are my computer 'specs':

Comp: 2009 HP Pavilion Desktop
Op System: Windows 7
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 620
Mem: 6144 MB Ram
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9100 (Approx Total Mem: 2923 MB)

From what I can see, my computer reaches the minimum requirements needed to run GW2 (correct me if I'm wrong) [[I was wrong...]].
All of the graphic settings are set as low as they go (or even turned off) in-game. This 'freeze up', as I've dubbed it, can happen at anytime. Even after minimizing GW2 though, the rest of my computer is experiencing this choke up, still needing about a minute's wait until everything goes back to normal.

Any tips would be appreciated. I apologize in advance for my non-tech-savvy-ness.
February 24, 2013 1:40:22 AM

awesome6781 said:
Recently I purchased GW2 & have experienced some difficulty with the game. When in-game, everything freezes up to the point of dropping down to 1 FPS. It happens about every two minutes & lasts for about a minute. I cant do anything about it, so I usually just stand there & try to be patient for it to resort back to normal (in my case 16 FPS max). I've looked at all the threads concerning this issue, but most of the people seem concerned with 'only' getting 30-40 FPS (which is something I'd kill for). I also understand that this seems to be an issue thats been beaten to death, but I didn't stumble across a case such as mine while looking. While computer competent, I'm not exactly 'savvy' with talk about processors, graphic cards etc. Here are my computer 'specs':

Comp: 2009 HP Pavilion Desktop
Op System: Windows 7
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 620
Mem: 6144 MB Ram
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9100 (Approx Total Mem: 2923 MB)

From what I can see, my computer reaches the minimum requirements needed to run GW2 (correct me if I'm wrong).
All of the graphic settings are set as low as they go (or even turned off) in-game. This 'freeze up', as I've dubbed it, can happen at anytime. Even after minimizing GW2 though, the rest of my computer is experiencing this choke up, still needing about a minute's wait until everything goes back to normal.

Any tips would be appreciated. I apologize in advance for my non-tech-savvy-ness.

That system doesnt meet min requirements, that video card is low low low end its not even dedicated its integrated with your motherboard..... With your current settings the game may be unplayable.
m
l
February 24, 2013 4:38:38 AM

Like envymert said, the Graphics Cards is drastically holding you back. But just to let you know, I probably wouldn't simply upgrade your card. You may get the game to playable with new card that's decent, but most of your other components may bottleneck your card not giving you the full performance of it. Sorry, but I'd suggest a new computer :( 
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2013 2:30:41 PM

Bummer. Alright then. Thanks guys for your answers. :) 
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:23:08 PM

awesome6781 said:
Bummer. Alright then. Thanks guys for your answers. :) 

Ya, it's never fun finding out you can't run something as well as you want. If you plan to build a computer, and not buy a pre-built one, I would start with the GPU. You could probably get quite an increase from a new one, just don't buy a $500 with those components or it will drastically hold it back. And if you take the route of building one or upgrading components, be sure to look alot of info up. You definitely don't want to buy an incompatible part.
m
l
February 24, 2013 9:53:42 PM

pcpartpicker is an excellent website if you want to build your own and would like an idea of the rough costs
m
l
!