Your question

New PC Builder, needing some help...

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Tom's Hardware
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 24, 2004 12:51:00 AM

Tom's Hardware Guide has helped me out and the community seem like nice people, so I decided I might be able to get help here, you see... I'm a new at building PC's and was wondering if I could get help. I have already built my new system and was looking to enhance it as much as possible.

MY SYSTEM:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ socket939
CORSAIR XMS 512MB DDR400
GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939 nForce 3 250
XFX Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
SEAGATE SATA 7,200RPM 120GB

I'm 17 years old, and I spent alot of money considering my current budget, and I was expecting more... maybe I'm being selfish or whatever, and the computer runs Great! But getting this comptuer just makes me want more. Haha, I don't know if that sounds weird, but anyway, to the point...

I want to get the best out of all my parts and am accepting tips, I want to overclock my CPU, Memory and whatever else I can, but I don't know how and I can't find a article that is noob enough for me pinch.gif

I also have one more question, sorry to make this soo long and I would appreciate all the help greatly, seriously, but...

Why is it that when I overclock my 6800 GT and run 3DMark05 I sometimes get like... "frozen frames" where it freezes for like 4 seconds and comes back every once in awhile, same goes for Counter-Strike: Source. At stock speeds they run fine, but I was told that GT's have great overclocking potential and was wondering what might the problem be...

Anywho, thank you all in advance, and... Sorry for all the mispelling or bad grammer I might of done.

P.S. I know this doesn't have to do with CPU completely but it does in a way and I dunno, pls help?

THANKS,
Sean.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
CORSAIR 512mb XMS
SEAGATE 120gb 7,200 RPM Barracuda
GeForce 6800 GT 256mb DD3

More about : builder needing

November 24, 2004 1:59:26 AM

If your frames are freezing that sounds like ur card is getting too hot. That is a problem I see listed a lot in these forums for the 6800 GT's. You might want to get another 512mb of ram. Is the stuff you have right now 1 stick of 512 or 2 x 256? If it's only one of 512 definitely get another stick just like that so you can run dual channel DDR, this will give you a decent boost in performance.

This site says how to OC an AXP 2500 but the same rules apply to the A64's:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

hope this helps.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
November 24, 2004 11:36:54 PM

Haha, hope you're not indicating I'm a stupid person ;) 
Nah, anyway... It's one stick of 512, getting another stick as soon as I get some more $$$, anywho... I appreciate your help and it makes sense =D, before I OC my CPU i'm going to get some better cooling (can never be to safe). Though I appreciate the help =D Thanks Alot! It was great.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
CORSAIR 512mb XMS
SEAGATE 120gb 7,200 RPM Barracuda
GeForce 6800 GT 256mb DD3
!