disk stutter while playing

What does it mean when the disk stutters? Does that mean that the
heads have to be cleaned? I get an annoying clatter every so often
while playing GTA, and occasionally it will get as far as a "Read Disk
Error," but will then start moving again.

It happens during both SA and VC, so I'm guessing it's a PS2 problem,
not a problem with the disk.

Can I get something at EB Games or some other game store that will do
this?

Thanks.

Dave

Dave Roy wrote:

> What does it mean when the disk stutters? Does that mean that the
> heads have to be cleaned? I get an annoying clatter every so often
> while playing GTA, and occasionally it will get as far as a "Read Disk
> Error," but will then start moving again.
>
> It happens during both SA and VC, so I'm guessing it's a PS2 problem,
> not a problem with the disk.
>
> Can I get something at EB Games or some other game store that will do
> this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

Oh Dave, sadly this seems to be the first sign of the death rattle. I
thought cleaning lens etc helped but sadly it just dragged it on a
little longer. The problem became very bad during my first few days
with SA and in the end it would hardly read a thing, despite having
been taken apart and cleaned properly.

I ended up getting a new one, though not happily

BTW do you only play those two games or are they just the main
culprits? My old one will hardly even read Dog's life and stuff like
that now.
--
Paul (everybody hurts sometimes)
Stop and Look

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 03:20:28 GMT, Paul Heslop
<paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Dave Roy wrote:
>>
>> What does it mean when the disk stutters? Does that mean that the
>> heads have to be cleaned? I get an annoying clatter every so often
>> while playing GTA, and occasionally it will get as far as a "Read Disk
>> Error," but will then start moving again.
>>
>> It happens during both SA and VC, so I'm guessing it's a PS2 problem,
>> not a problem with the disk.
>>
>> Can I get something at EB Games or some other game store that will do
>> this?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Oh Dave, sadly this seems to be the first sign of the death rattle. I
>thought cleaning lens etc helped but sadly it just dragged it on a
>little longer. The problem became very bad during my first few days
>with SA and in the end it would hardly read a thing, despite having
>been taken apart and cleaned properly.
>
>I ended up getting a new one, though not happily
>
>BTW do you only play those two games or are they just the main
>culprits? My old one will hardly even read Dog's life and stuff like
>that now.

These are the only two games I've played since it started doing it.
It may have done it on GTA III also, but I can't quite remember.

Not that I doubt you, but my pocketbook hopes that somebody comes up
with a different answer. :)

Dave

Dave Roy wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 03:20:28 GMT, Paul Heslop
> <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Dave Roy wrote:
> >>
> >> What does it mean when the disk stutters? Does that mean that the
> >> heads have to be cleaned? I get an annoying clatter every so often
> >> while playing GTA, and occasionally it will get as far as a "Read Disk
> >> Error," but will then start moving again.
> >>
> >> It happens during both SA and VC, so I'm guessing it's a PS2 problem,
> >> not a problem with the disk.
> >>
> >> Can I get something at EB Games or some other game store that will do
> >> this?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
>
> >Oh Dave, sadly this seems to be the first sign of the death rattle. I
> >thought cleaning lens etc helped but sadly it just dragged it on a
> >little longer. The problem became very bad during my first few days
> >with SA and in the end it would hardly read a thing, despite having
> >been taken apart and cleaned properly.
> >
> >I ended up getting a new one, though not happily
> >
> >BTW do you only play those two games or are they just the main
> >culprits? My old one will hardly even read Dog's life and stuff like
> >that now.
>
> These are the only two games I've played since it started doing it.
> It may have done it on GTA III also, but I can't quite remember.
>
> Not that I doubt you, but my pocketbook hopes that somebody comes up
> with a different answer. :)
>
> Dave

:O) I have seen a website, but can't tell you where as it was one
night when I was quite ill and I haven't searched since, where the guy
gave instructions on how to clean the lens by hand, but also explained
about a tiny wheel which he said adjusting by small amounts can get
your machine working again. There was no way on this earth I was up to
a job like that, I'm very cack-handed, but you may fancy a go if
cleaning doesn't work. I think I wrote something like
"Repairing playstation2" or "Playstation2 troubleshooting" and just
had some fun searching through the answers.
--

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> ...instructions on how to clean the lens by hand, but also explained
> about a tiny wheel which he said adjusting by small amounts can get
> your machine working again. There was no way on this earth I was up to
> a job like that, I'm very cack-handed...

That'll be the RSI from playing too much GTA

G Hardy wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > ...instructions on how to clean the lens by hand, but also explained
> > about a tiny wheel which he said adjusting by small amounts can get
> > your machine working again. There was no way on this earth I was up to
> > a job like that, I'm very cack-handed...
>
> That'll be the RSI from playing too much GTA

:O)
--

In message <422C2221.E064450C@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I think I wrote something like "Repairing playstation2" or
> "Playstation2 troubleshooting" and just had some fun searching
> through the answers.

Don't forget that Sony also operate a free repair service for
consistent Disk Read Errors, but it involves sending it back where it
was made.

Bit of a last resort though, and you have to have it verified for being
fixed by Sony before sending it to them. There's an FAQ somewhere.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <422C2221.E064450C@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I think I wrote something like "Repairing playstation2" or
> > "Playstation2 troubleshooting" and just had some fun searching
> > through the answers.
>
> Don't forget that Sony also operate a free repair service for
> consistent Disk Read Errors, but it involves sending it back where it
> was made.
>
> Bit of a last resort though, and you have to have it verified for being
> fixed by Sony before sending it to them. There's an FAQ somewhere.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

really? Now that would be okay I guess... oh, wait, I opened it up to
clean it!