Cell service in Ireland?

I'm going on a vacation for a week to Ireland in August. I need to use
a phone to call my office while I'm there. A few questions: 1)anyone
know if Ireland has decent cell coverage? 2)I'm guessing that the cell
service that's there is GSM, but I really have no idea. Anyone know?
3)Would you please recommend the best way for me to go here - do I rent
a GSM from someone else (if Ireland is GSM) or can I get one from
Verizon? I'm a VZW customer. Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about cell service ireland

    On 25 Jun 2005 05:13:21 -0700, zwerl1@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I'm going on a vacation for a week to Ireland in August. I need to use
    >a phone to call my office while I'm there. A few questions: 1)anyone
    >know if Ireland has decent cell coverage? 2)I'm guessing that the cell
    >service that's there is GSM, but I really have no idea. Anyone know?
    >3)Would you please recommend the best way for me to go here - do I rent
    >a GSM from someone else (if Ireland is GSM) or can I get one from
    >Verizon? I'm a VZW customer. Thanks.

    According to GSM World:

    Meteor, O2 and Vodafone all have service and all use both 900 and 1800
    Mhz. Bring an unlocked GSM phone capable of 900 and 1800 Mhz and
    you'll be all set. If Ireland is like most European countries you
    should be able to pick up prepaid SIMs in lots of places but most
    surely at mobile phone shops (at least in the major centres.) Unless
    you're goingi to be in Ireland less than a week renting is a very bad
    idea. With what you pay for your rental you could *buy* your own
    phone so if you made a return trip you wouldn't have that expense.
    Prepaid accounts appear to be around 20 euros with 10 to 15 euro
    credit if you register your phone (typically with a postage paid card
    that you'll get with your kit.)

    And yes, you can make arrangements with Verizon *for a price*
    typically they'll charge you a "feature" fee of $7 or so per month and
    will even arrange for you to rent a compatible phone. Unless you
    absolutely must have your US phone follow you to Europe directly it's
    not a smart move.

    Right now you can get a Euro/Asian capable brand new Nokia phone for
    $49 or a "tri-band" Euro/Asian/North American model for $99. Of
    course the tri-band won't do you any good if you're going to stay with
    Verizon in the US. There are other ways for your phone to follow you
    such as forwarding your number to a service like Kall8
    <http://www.kall8.com>

    http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/1100.asp

    And BTW, Vodafone owns 40% of Verizon Communications.
    - -

    zwerl1@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm going on a vacation for a week to Ireland in August. I need to use
    > a phone to call my office while I'm there. A few questions: 1)anyone
    > know if Ireland has decent cell coverage? 2)I'm guessing that the cell
    > service that's there is GSM, but I really have no idea. Anyone know?
    > 3)Would you please recommend the best way for me to go here - do I rent
    > a GSM from someone else (if Ireland is GSM) or can I get one from
    > Verizon? I'm a VZW customer. Thanks.

    You can buy an unlocked phone and get a SIM over there or rent a phone
    from VZW. Sometimes you have to consider what you are trying to do. My
    buddy (a cellphone only person)just went over there a few weeks ago and
    he considered since he was on vacation and he just needed a way to call
    his office periodically and really didn't need to be called he would
    also take a vacation from the cell phone too. So he checked out calling
    cards and found it was reasonable to buy them from shops once you get there.

    I have no personal experience, but follow others European cell phone
    travels. Basically buy or rent an unlocked cellphone and buy a prepaid
    SIM.

    IIRC there was one carrier that had much better coverage outside the
    metro areas into more rural areas.

    Verizon has been expensive and unreliable in the past, setting up GSM
    accounts.

    Some of the best info outside of someone who regularly uses a cell
    phone there, might be found in an Ireland travel specific newsgroup or
    travel info site.

    I'd google Ireland cellphone in the alt.cellular groups if no one steps
    up with current info.

    -
    David

    Prepaid GSM, the mobile world around you -

    http://www.prepaidgsm.net/

    GSM Roaming - Ireland

    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ie.shtml

    Global GSM Prepaid Overview - Great for travelers!

    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=4561113&highlight=ireland

Verizon GSM Internet Service Providers Product