Eight-core Sandy Bridge Chip Listed on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
It says it is no longer available. scammers, are they trying to get some free money..Its not even released yet.

Anyway, its weird how the clock base is too low 1.6?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
kilo_17- I believe cache is onboard memory for the CPU, I believe it is supposed to store commands that are being frequently used for quick access by the CPU, if anyone finds my explanation wrong though please correct me.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The cache does store frequently used instructions, although the main purpose is to store frequently used data. Main RAM takes as many as several hundred CPU clock cycles to access, cache on the other hand can be accessed in only a few clock cycles (L1 cache) or at most 30-40 cycles (L3 cache).

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]This looks like a monster CPU. I can't believe it has 20MB of cache, I don't know what cache does, but I know that's a lot.[/citation]
Ya, LGA 2011 is a massive socket. Just google "LGA 2011". I was amazed the first time I saw leaked images of X79 motherboards. The socket looks disproportionately large on a standard ATX mobo. Although I'm not aware of any 8 core processors in Intel's Sandy Bridge-E launch lineup, it's almost certain an eight core derivative will come out eventually for the platform. The highest end launch processor I'm aware of will be a 6 core clocked at 3.3 GHz with 15MB L3 cache and an unlocked multiplier, MSRP around $1000.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]saood06[/nom]how will u run it without a motherboard that supports socket 2011(which you would need first)?[/citation]
Who cares, I just want to feel its cold, smooth, metal surface as I rest my cheek on it as I fall asleep at night.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Who cares, I just want to feel its cold, smooth, metal surface as I rest my cheek on it as I fall asleep at night.[/citation]

Exactly, how many 6 core Extreme owners do you know that actually utilize the power?

:)

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]Clock is low because it is an Engineering Sample.[/citation]
This!!!

Also, sucks to be anyone who bought an SR2 when this thing lands...

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Breaking news: Ebay seller arrested for trying to sell illegally obtained property.

What a dumb ass trying to sell what is obviously a highly experimental engineering sample. Hopefully this Ebay seller gets put through the wringer like the guy that stole Apple's iPhone prototype.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I personally don't see the benefit currently with going to 6 or even 8 cores on a chip. Sure, multi-threaded applications are starting to become more common, but the vast majority of what's out there only optimized for dual-cores at best.

They may be better for more intensive multitasking, but I can multitask pretty good as it is with my older Quad Core - oftentimes my HD is the weakest link and not the CPU itself.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Intel will release engineering sample to OEM partners to help them design motherboards and systems that are compatible with up coming products. It's possible that someone at one of those OEMs is responsible.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]Intel will release engineering sample to OEM partners to help them design motherboards and systems that are compatible with up coming products. It's possible that someone at one of those OEMs is responsible.[/citation]
Could be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.