jjc_mn

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I'm not really trying to overclock, just trying to get the maximum CPU speed I can for my Motherboard. My P4S5MG/GL+ Manual says the max Speed CPU I can have is 2.2. Would a 2.26 CPU work in it? Motherboard manufacture is no help.

A general question. If you get a CPU that is the right socket type but much faster than the motherboard is designed to handle, does it step down to the fastest speed or does it fry the motherboard?

Thanks in advance for the help.
JJC

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, but it should support one of the P4 2.8GHz processors.

The problem is, this board only support 400 bus P4's. Those include 2 P4 2.2GHz processors (but not the 2.26), one of the 4 2.4GHz P4's (the one with 400 bus), the 2.5GHz P4 (but not the 2.53), one of the P4 2.6's (the one with 400 bus), and the rare 2.8/400 upgrade P4.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jjc_mn

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Actually a sticker on the motherboard says 533 and the manual says it supports:

"Intel P4 478 1.4GHz ~ 2.2GHz FSB: 400/533MHZ"

Is the CPU 1.4Ghz ~ 2.2GHz range irrelevant as long as the CPU supports a 400/533Mhz FSB.

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
If your board supports the 533fsb, then there is no reason that any proc (designated for your type of socket) wouldnt run on your system. The only thing you may want to check into is if you would have to flash the BIOS in order to run a faster speed proc on your board. Some (older) bios may not support the multipliers for a certain proc, in your case the board claiming that 1.4-2.2 is the max for as high as you can go, may be due to the fact that those were the fastest available at the time the board was released. If its no trouble post your board model manufacturer and revision of it on here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only 533 bus processors I know of that might not work is the new Prescott core 2.4GHz 533 bus (1MB L2 cache) and the Northwood 3.06 (because it has HT). All the other Northwoods with 533 bus should work.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jjc_mn

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Finally heard from the manufacture and this is what they said about the P4S5MG/GL+ Motherboard :

"This board will support 0.13 or 0.18 micron CPU , we have tested this board up to P4 2.8G /FSB533 0.13 micron CPU without any problem found."

So I guess "Stranger" is right. The socket type and the FSB speed must be the determining factors (unless you all know of a 478 socket, 533 FSB with different micron speeds than mentioned above). The manual's 2.2G limit wasn't correct.

Thanks all for the help.

JJC

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's a new Prescott (90nm, .09 micron) at 2.4GHz and 533 bus, been around for a few months. New as opposed to the Northwood 2.4B (533 bus, .13 micron). The Prescott is not likely to work.