CoolMaster Heatsink Won't work

rgmcleod

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004
I've got a ABIT kt7 mobo with a 850 mhz athlon tbird processor. The heat sink and fan are loud and I want to quite it down. I bought a Cool Master XDream II (HAC-L82.) Silent 24 DB fan heatsink. I installed it according to procedure, but my machine gives one long beep and shuts off when I turn it on. Before it shuts off, the fan does run. I put the old smaller louder Coolmaster back in and it works fine. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thx in advance
Ron

RichPLS

Champion
Something is wrong, even crappy heatsinks will cool cpu enuf to run. The problem is in the installation, not the heat sink.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

rgmcleod

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004
That was my thought too. I installed it according to procedure, but my machine gives one long beep and shuts off when I turn it on. Before it shuts off, the fan does run. I put the old smaller louder Coolmaster back in and it works fine.

The older, louder CoolMaster (which works fine) has 3 wires; plus, minus, and field ground. Plugging the older CoolMaster directly into the power supply and not the MOBO header yields the same results, my machine gives one long beep and shuts off.

The newer Cool Master XDream II (HAC-L82.) Silent 24 DB fan also has three wires.

I can de-mount the older fan and heat sink from the CPU, power it up and it will go to boot rather than shut off. I shut it off quickly so it doesn't heat up. So the older one works (the mobo will contiue to the boot process rather than shutdown) whether it's installed or not.

I guessing my mobo is not seeing what it needs to see to keep going down the boot path.

BTW, the older CoolMaster draws 26 ma and the new one draws 16 ma.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Do you have your old heatsink/fan plugged into the motherboard when you use it? Have you tried it just plugged into the psu?
The motherboard probably isnt liking the drop in rpms when going to the new fan. If possible disable the rpm minimums or monitoring in the bios.
I skimmed through your post sort of quick so please forgive me if you already tried this but I missed it :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>