Heatsink for Asus A7N8X-VM/400 motherboard

superunknown

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a low profile heatsink (say under 5 centimetres tall) to use on an Asus A7N8X-VM/400 motherboard, with an Athlon XP 2800 cpu.

I thought the thermalright SLK-900 might be suitable, but I'm unsure whether it would fit on the board - the VM/400 isn't listed on the Thermalright website as being compatible (Although the Asus A78NX deluxe is).

Any advice would be gladly received.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That SLK-900 isn't very low profile once you put a fan on it. If you only have 5cm to work with you will need to attach a fan to the side of it instead of the top.
If you need a low profile cooler I'd go for the Thermaltake Volcano 10+, it is probably a little louder than other coolers but it should do a good job.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Side mounting wouldn't work because it would limit him to 50mm fans!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Yea, but that would likely move more air through than a larger fan mounted flush against a flat surface :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, 25mm sinks used to be quite common. Take the Volcano II for example, it also had a 25mm thick fan that ran at some insane speed.

And today, 35mm thick sinks with 15mm thick fans are not that uncommon either.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>