The makers of Taxi Driver are responsible for the Regean a..

begin rant

That might as well be the headline... I just watched 60 Minutes... they had
a segment trying to link GTA with the murder of three people... and it was
full of half-truths, misrepresentations, and lies.
They tried to portray GTA as a Police Officer murder simulator, simply
because *one* mission, in the course of the 3 games of the next gen consoles
involves escaping police. Specifically the Vice City mission where you have
to break Cam out of the VC Police Dept. The report was despicable... they
showed all sorts of scenes from all three games where the main character was
slaughtering police, but conveniently they neglected to explain why there
were 5 and 6 FLASHING stars on the screen... I'm so sick of this slanted
reporting.

end rant

"Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> They tried to portray GTA as a Police Officer murder simulator, simply
> because *one* mission, in the course of the 3 games of the next gen
consoles
> involves escaping police. Specifically the Vice City mission where you
have
> to break Cam out of the VC Police Dept...

That's bizarre. I never shoot the police on that mission - the best way to
complete it is to race out, get in a fast car, respray it, then go back for
Cam.

Anyone who thinks this is a "simulator" either hasn't actually played it or
is too dumb to be allowed to report on these things. How long do you think a
PD would be in existence if it would allow a criminal dressed as a policeman
to infiltrate the cells and break out another crim. Then leave him in the
station lobby while the dressed up crim escapes in a sports car. THEN cancel
the APB when they see the sports car drive into a one-car-capacity dead-end
garage. THEN they wander off while an identical car of a different colour
drives out, not twigging that the driver is wearing a cop uniform and there
is a big neon "pay 'n' spray" sign over the garage. FINALLY the busted out
Cam (still waiting in the lobby) gets to stroll out to get a lift home.
HOME!!! If someone busts out of jail - where's the first place cops will
look if someone breaks out?

This is not a simulation in _any_ respect. The driving aspect is pretty
realistic, but it's still not a simulation of that (there are more realistic
driving simulators out there).

"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote in message
> "Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> They tried to portray GTA as a Police Officer murder simulator, simply
>> because *one* mission, in the course of the 3 games of the next gen
> consoles
>> involves escaping police. Specifically the Vice City mission where you
> have
>> to break Cam out of the VC Police Dept...
>
> That's bizarre. I never shoot the police on that mission - the best way to
> complete it is to race out, get in a fast car, respray it, then go back
> for
> Cam.

Thank you for being sane!

If you'd have seen this report, you'd be fuming! Every screenshot they
showed where Silent Guy/Tommy Vercetti/C.J. was engaging Law enforcement,
displayed multiple wanted stars, *BUT* during the whole report they never
bothered to explain the wanted stars... AT ALL...

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

> begin rant
>
> That might as well be the headline... I just watched 60 Minutes... they had
> a segment trying to link GTA with the murder of three people... and it was
> full of half-truths, misrepresentations, and lies.
> They tried to portray GTA as a Police Officer murder simulator, simply
> because *one* mission, in the course of the 3 games of the next gen consoles
> involves escaping police. Specifically the Vice City mission where you have
> to break Cam out of the VC Police Dept. The report was despicable... they
> showed all sorts of scenes from all three games where the main character was
> slaughtering police, but conveniently they neglected to explain why there
> were 5 and 6 FLASHING stars on the screen... I'm so sick of this slanted
> reporting.
>
> end rant

as with all sensationalism they will get the grunts who just follow
what the press say involved and you will have one hell of a fight on
your hands
--
Paul (everybody hurts sometimes)
Stop and Look

In message <mtZWd.482$Ro5.415@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>
"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

> This is not a simulation in _any_ respect. The driving aspect is pretty
> realistic, but it's still not a simulation of that (there are more realistic
> driving simulators out there).

I've always been very cautious about what sort of game I'd call GTA.
One of the reasons I enjoy playing it so much is the sheer comedy value
of it. Imagine if cars (And other vehicles come to mention it) behaved
like that in real life(tm).

The GTA franchise has just become another scapegoat for people saying
that violence is *taught* to people by video-games. Of course, hardcore
GTA fans could storm into the mayor's office with shotguns and put our
point across, but I suspect they'd be expecting that....

I was quite amused that NewsRound on BBC1 (In the UK) ran a report
about the classification of video-games and ranted about UK gun laws
instead. No coincidence that GTA was being released the same week
surely?

Cheers,
Rob

"Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> begin rant
>
> That might as well be the headline... I just watched 60 Minutes... they
> had a segment trying to link GTA with the murder of three people... and it
> was full of half-truths, misrepresentations, and lies.
> They tried to portray GTA as a Police Officer murder simulator, simply
> because *one* mission, in the course of the 3 games of the next gen
> consoles involves escaping police. Specifically the Vice City mission
> where you have to break Cam out of the VC Police Dept. The report was
> despicable... they showed all sorts of scenes from all three games where
> the main character was slaughtering police, but conveniently they
> neglected to explain why there were 5 and 6 FLASHING stars on the
> screen... I'm so sick of this slanted reporting.
>
> end rant

I'm in the UK so didn't see this programme. Would you happen to know if it's
available to view on-line in any form? (I don't meant a Torrent or anything.
Does the programme have a web site with a transcript/clips or anything?
Thanks.

Of course, we occasionally have our own similarly-stupid news reports over
here, too. You may or may not have heard about the case where the game
"Manhunt" was supposedly behind the killing of one youth by another. All the
reports at the time were blaming the game as it was supposedly found in the
perpetrators room. In fact, it was subsequently reported that it was in fact
found in the *victims* room.

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:07:32 GMT, "Carl Waring"
<carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> begin rant
>>
>> That might as well be the headline... I just watched 60 Minutes... they
>> had a segment trying to link GTA with the murder of three people... and it
>> was full of half-truths, misrepresentations, and lies.
>> They tried to portray GTA as a Police Officer murder simulator, simply
>> because *one* mission, in the course of the 3 games of the next gen
>> consoles involves escaping police. Specifically the Vice City mission
>> where you have to break Cam out of the VC Police Dept. The report was
>> despicable... they showed all sorts of scenes from all three games where
>> the main character was slaughtering police, but conveniently they
>> neglected to explain why there were 5 and 6 FLASHING stars on the
>> screen... I'm so sick of this slanted reporting.
>>
>> end rant
>
>I'm in the UK so didn't see this programme. Would you happen to know if it's
>available to view on-line in any form? (I don't meant a Torrent or anything.
>Does the programme have a web site with a transcript/clips or anything?
>Thanks.
>
>Of course, we occasionally have our own similarly-stupid news reports over
>here, too. You may or may not have heard about the case where the game
>"Manhunt" was supposedly behind the killing of one youth by another. All the
>reports at the time were blaming the game as it was supposedly found in the
>perpetrators room. In fact, it was subsequently reported that it was in fact
>found in the *victims* room.

Maybe the victim learnt how to be a victim from the game.

Didnt think of that did ya, eh? eh?

All nonsense, too many do gooders with too much time on their hands.
And unfortunatly too many deranged idiots who happen to buy the game,
thus fuelling the do gooders. Always find it ironic that they actually
sell the game for rock* by giving it masses of publicity

Ghost

Distinguished
May 16, 2002

"Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> begin rant
>
> That might as well be the headline... I just watched 60 Minutes...
> they had a segment trying to link GTA with the murder of three
> people... and it was full of half-truths, misrepresentations, and
> lies.
> They tried to portray GTA as a Police Officer murder simulator, simply
> because *one* mission, in the course of the 3 games of the next gen
> consoles involves escaping police. Specifically the Vice City mission
> where you have to break Cam out of the VC Police Dept. The report was
> despicable... they showed all sorts of scenes from all three games
> where the main character was slaughtering police, but conveniently
> they neglected to explain why there were 5 and 6 FLASHING stars on the
> screen... I'm so sick of this slanted reporting.
>
> end rant
Since this is oriented to the Fayette incident:

I repost one of my thoughts to this topic : Was - Re: Are you kidding
me?

..... have a look here

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/02/02/news/regional/2abb4aa4cbdd930f86256f9c004638b5.txt

News about Fayette ...... fact is they have troubles with their chief of
police, they have a tight budget ..... and probably there are some other
issues to discover.

Someone may ask where's the link to the above lawsuit, so continue to
read.

The reason for this incident are poor procedures, poor training and poor
equipment.
With reasonable Standard Operation Procedures an suspect should not be
able to snatch a loaded weapon inside a police department. If this first
line of security fails, there should be the appropriate weapon retention
training, to hinder an supect to get hold of an officeres personal
weapon. And last but not least there are tons of security level 3
holsters, securing officers firearms from unautorized access.
This incident only happened because all of the above failed or weren't
existent.

Conclusions in a perfect world one would sue first the Chief of Police,
then the Fayette Police Dept. and the Fayette County. For poor
conduction of their work, poor training of their officers and issuing
poor equipment. But since there's no money to get from them, lawyers get
creative, sueing game producers as having trained the killer ......
sighhhhh.

Anyway, this leads to rather interesting concepts, if it's possible to
train "good boys" becoming coldblooded killers with a Video game, all
military, police and security agencies could save big bucks on training,
issuing an PS2 and GTA, Manhunt or any other appropriate game to their
soldiers/officers and they would become the ultimate crime figthing
machines.
Wow, how many millions of taxpayers money could be saved this way?

Hopefully lot's of wrongdoers continue to belive, that PS2 is a valid
substitute for real training, it makes work for trained officers a lot
easier .......... Anybody here who has ever seen PS2 trained "shots" at
the local shooting range know what I mean ;-).

Maybe Smith & Wesson should consider to incorporate the gamepad layout
into firearms design?

An almost always friendly

Ghost

PS: To the "Rockstar" lawyer - Ask Massad Ayoob about the possibilities
of an PS2 trained Kid, to wrestle away the gun of a trained officer.

"Ghost" <friendly_cyber_ghost@hotmail.(nospam)com> wrote in message

> With reasonable Standard Operation Procedures an suspect should not be
> able to snatch a loaded weapon inside a police department. If this first
> line of security fails, there should be the appropriate weapon retention
> training, to hinder an supect to get hold of an officeres personal
> weapon. And last but not least there are tons of security level 3
> holsters, securing officers firearms from unautorized access.
> This incident only happened because all of the above failed or weren't
> existent.

I think that the biggest failing was the wits of the other two officers who
didn't pull their own guns and (after due warning) shoot the suspect
themselves.

> "Ghost" <friendly_cyber_ghost@hotmail.(nospam)com> wrote in message
>
>> With reasonable Standard Operation Procedures an suspect should not be
>> able to snatch a loaded weapon inside a police department. If this first
>> line of security fails, there should be the appropriate weapon retention
>> training, to hinder an supect to get hold of an officeres personal
>> weapon. And last but not least there are tons of security level 3
>> holsters, securing officers firearms from unautorized access.
>> This incident only happened because all of the above failed or weren't
>> existent.
>
> I think that the biggest failing was the wits of the other two officers
> who
> didn't pull their own guns and (after due warning) shoot the suspect
> themselves.

Haven't you heard? In Los Angeles, after the police recently shot and
killed that 13 year old suspect that had stolen a car and was trying to run
over those same officers on the case... a whole new pursuit and shooting
policy was drafted where police officers are no longer allowed to shoot a
suspect in a vehicle who is using said vehicle to attack said officers...
they can only use deadly force if the suspects are using the vehicle to harm
bystanders..

<Sound of police officers by the hundreds putting in their transfers OUT of

>> I'm in the UK so didn't see this programme. Would you happen to know if
>> it's available to view on-line in any form? (I don't meant a Torrent or
>> anything. Does the programme have a web site with a transcript/clips or
>> anything? Thanks.
>>

> I don't know about downloading the episode, but this is the info I found
> on the 60 Minutes website:
<snip>

Many thanks. Have saved that and will read it all later.

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:07:32 GMT, "Carl Waring"
<carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Of course, we occasionally have our own similarly-stupid news reports over
>here, too. You may or may not have heard about the case where the game
>"Manhunt" was supposedly behind the killing of one youth by another. All the
>reports at the time were blaming the game as it was supposedly found in the
>perpetrators room. In fact, it was subsequently reported that it was in fact
>found in the *victims* room.

Reading these two links in order are interesting
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3934277.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/3538066.stm

When it emerged that it was actually the victim that had a copy of the
game, the mother said that it was the murderer who had given him the
copy.. I'm not sure what evidence there was for that though.

andyt

"Carl Waring" <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> --
> Carl Waring
> http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495
>
> "Buckaroo Banzai" <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm in the UK so didn't see this programme. Would you happen to know if
>>> it's available to view on-line in any form? (I don't meant a Torrent or
>>> anything. Does the programme have a web site with a transcript/clips or
>>> anything? Thanks.
>>>

>> I don't know about downloading the episode, but this is the info I found
>> on the 60 Minutes website:
> <snip>
>
> Many thanks. Have saved that and will read it all later.
>

> --
> Carl Waring

You're welcome Carl!