Sign in with
Your question

Awaiting Textures problem in Black Ops 2.

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Drivers
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 25, 2013 2:53:14 PM

I know a lot of people are having this issue also, and I have done a lot of research trying to solve this. However, anything I research, the people who are having the problem don't generally have a gaming laptop and a lot of the time people say its the drivers. It is highly possible that it is my drivers, I have been having problems with them recently but I am pretty sure I fixed them. The problem is I am just not able to load the game fast enough, it takes 1-2 minutes for it to just get in the game because it gets stuck in the awaiting textures. My specs are:

Intel i7 2.4ghz
AMD HD 6900m
8gb ram
250gb SATA III SSD

I am well capable of playing black ops 2, and once I get in the game I can play it without any lag on the highest settings. Its not my internet because I have fast internet, 11mb/s download and I have a friend with a laptop not even close to my specs who loads it in seconds while on my internet. I have ruled out pretty much everything, I verified it in Steam, I installed some beta drivers, AMD 13.2, I cleaned out junk that was taking up space, I checked to make sure all of my drivers are up to date, uninstalled and reinstalled the game multiple times. I don't know what the problem could be, is it the games or is it still my drivers somehow?

More about : awaiting textures problem black ops

February 25, 2013 3:34:33 PM

Well, i wouldn't be surprised if it were your videocard drivers (or even the Videocard bios). From the sounds of it, it's taking longer than it should loading the textures from your hard drive to your VRAM/RAM.

Problem is...

Q: Is it your hard drive being slow?
A: You could try a "proprer" defrag (3rd party) and see if that helps. Disable as many "unrelated" programs as you can (for this you could try Razer's GameBooster).

Q: Is it my motherboard?
A: Well your CPU is high enough, but a potential bottleneck would be the frontside bus (highway between your CPU, RAM, and HDD. You have a gaming laptop so i'll give the designer the benefit of the doubt that the FSB is capable of handling it...so no, your problem is not likely your mobo/CPU.

Q: What about my VRAM / RAM
A: Ah, could be. But 8GB of RAM is plenty for BO2 and regardless of it's latencies, most of the textures get loaded on the VRAM. Loading the VRAM is done primarely through your GPU drivers and technically the game engine. For troubleshooting sake, you'd want to try the latest drivers...if that fails, try the latest "SAFE" drivers as indicated on the site. On rare occasion, your videocard BIOS might need to be flashed/updated to help achieve optimal hardware performance. Another thing you could try is setting the "Texture" settings in-game to "Auto" instead of High or vice-versa, see if that makes a difference.

Try this and report back if it still fails.
m
l
February 25, 2013 4:16:51 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Well, i wouldn't be surprised if it were your videocard drivers (or even the Videocard bios). From the sounds of it, it's taking longer than it should loading the textures from your hard drive to your VRAM/RAM.

Problem is...

Q: Is it your hard drive being slow?
A: You could try a "proprer" defrag (3rd party) and see if that helps. Disable as many "unrelated" programs as you can (for this you could try Razer's GameBooster).

Q: Is it my motherboard?
A: Well your CPU is high enough, but a potential bottleneck would be the frontside bus (highway between your CPU, RAM, and HDD. You have a gaming laptop so i'll give the designer the benefit of the doubt that the FSB is capable of handling it...so no, your problem is not likely your mobo/CPU.

Q: What about my VRAM / RAM
A: Ah, could be. But 8GB of RAM is plenty for BO2 and regardless of it's latencies, most of the textures get loaded on the VRAM. Loading the VRAM is done primarely through your GPU drivers and technically the game engine. For troubleshooting sake, you'd want to try the latest drivers...if that fails, try the latest "SAFE" drivers as indicated on the site. On rare occasion, your videocard BIOS might need to be flashed/updated to help achieve optimal hardware performance. Another thing you could try is setting the "Texture" settings in-game to "Auto" instead of High or vice-versa, see if that makes a difference.

Try this and report back if it still fails.

Alright, I used Razer's GameBooster to launch the game and to tweak it, it did nothing. I had an issue with my motherboard a couple of months ago, got well over 102C and kept overheating no matter what game I played; I sent it to the manufacture and they replaced it with a new one and haven't had an issue since that, but it could be that again. When I tried to set my texture in game I was not able to. It is set to auto and I am unable to change it. I can change the texture filter to low - high but not the texture, which is strange. I don't know if there should be another option beside auto for the texture but that is my only option. Still having the problem though.

Edit: I changed the settings to all low, including texture - which I figured out I had to do it while not in game. I did that, set the resolution to 800x600 and it still loads slow and nothing changed.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 5:51:18 PM

Episodic said:
I changed the settings to all low, including texture - which I figured out I had to do it while not in game. I did that, set the resolution to 800x600 and it still loads slow and nothing changed.

Interesting...but the bottleneck could still be coming from various places...you've seem to eliminate a few however. Have you tried/tested other similar games that require loading a fair bit of textures. Is it the same problem?

I'm not sure if you know how to do this but...can you check the number of read/errors on your hard drive? If you've got windows vista or 7, you could simply check in your Task Manager and then Performance monitor. Secondly, try to Scan your HDD (give it a "Thorough" run).

EDIT: What I mean is, try a "Scran Disk" (Thorough).

If things are/were overheating, the side effects are typically different (Game or entire computer shuts down / restarts) and if it's the Vcard, you'd get artifacts, crazy performance drops, etc. Since this only happens at load time, concentrate on the physicalities.

Another thing you could try is this. Go in "Run" or "Search" from the start button, and type DXDIAG. I'm assuming you have a 64-bit OS so do the regular DXDIAG "test hardware" and also do the 64-bit test. Any errors?
m
l
February 25, 2013 8:14:55 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Interesting...but the bottleneck could still be coming from various places...you've seem to eliminate a few however. Have you tried/tested other similar games that require loading a fair bit of textures. Is it the same problem?

I'm not sure if you know how to do this but...can you check the number of read/errors on your hard drive? If you've got windows vista or 7, you could simply check in your Task Manager and then Performance monitor. Secondly, try to Scan your HDD (give it a "Thorough" run).

EDIT: What I mean is, try a "Scran Disk" (Thorough).

If things are/were overheating, the side effects are typically different (Game or entire computer shuts down / restarts) and if it's the Vcard, you'd get artifacts, crazy performance drops, etc. Since this only happens at load time, concentrate on the physicalities.

Another thing you could try is this. Go in "Run" or "Search" from the start button, and type DXDIAG. I'm assuming you have a 64-bit OS so do the regular DXDIAG "test hardware" and also do the 64-bit test. Any errors?

Alright well I am not sure how to check the number of read/errors, I went to Task Manager and clicked on the performance tab but I don't know what to look for under there. I ran a Scran disk and I don't think it found any errors but if it did then it would have fixed them. I ran Dxdiag but I don't know how to test hardware, under each tab, display, sound, etc.. there is a notes section that says there is no problems. I ran a 64-bit test and the same windows pops up, however.. under the display tab notes it says,

"aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer."\

Other then that I don't know how to run anything else you wanted me to do.
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:09:52 PM

Episodic said:
Alright well I am not sure how to check the number of read/errors, I went to Task Manager and clicked on the performance tab but I don't know what to look for under there. I ran a Scran disk and I don't think it found any errors but if it did then it would have fixed them. I ran Dxdiag but I don't know how to test hardware, under each tab, display, sound, etc.. there is a notes section that says there is no problems. I ran a 64-bit test and the same windows pops up, however.. under the display tab notes it says,

"aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer."\

Other then that I don't know how to run anything else you wanted me to do.

Sorry for the delay. One thing I asked was if you were experiencing the same issue with other games. How "bad" are the loading screens with other games (try/test with similar games...preferably a different MP Shooter game).

Your ATI libraries not being digitally signed is no big deal (it would most likely disappear if you reverted back to a WHQL version of your drivers).

At this point I doubt your issues are on the software side... HDD are slow in general (even those with SATA III connection) and Laptop HDDs are typically slower because they are in non-technical language "Green" (as oppose to Black)...which basically means they're very efficient on energy consumption but this at the cost of raw performance. In other words, i suspect that you will get the same "slow" reading times with any games you play on your laptop. Your best bet is to play with the laptop plugged in (in hoping that settings with the drivers/bios of each hardware peace performs better with "plugged in" current and perhaps switches to "Green" when running on battery.
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:49:20 PM

I am actually having similar issues on other games, like Smite. Smite normally runs fine but whenever I try to play it now it has serious frame lag, so much I can't even play it. Assassins Creed 3 seems to be running a bit funny then it used to be. Also, I don't have an HDD I have an SSD. HDD do run slow which is why I upgraded to an Intel SSD like a month ago.
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:54:50 PM

Episodic said:
I am actually having similar issues on other games, like Smite. Smite normally runs fine but whenever I try to play it now it has serious frame lag, so much I can't even play it. Assassins Creed 3 seems to be running a bit funny then it used to be. Also, I don't have an HDD I have an SSD. HDD do run slow which is why I upgraded to an Intel SSD like a month ago.

Oh...i didn't realize you had an SSD! This thing should be loading up a lot faster then... did you install it yourself?

The reason i'm asking is because SSD are a LOT more power hungry than HDDs (the "green" ones)...and the power supply might be struggling with your SSD.

Does playing on battery make things worse? If so, this (your power supply) may be the issue...
m
l
February 27, 2013 1:39:20 PM

Whenever I play on my battery all my games lag, and it did that when I had an HDD in there too. Yes I installed the SSD myself, just popped out my HDD and popped in the SSD. I do have my computer plugged in all the time because games lag when it runs on battery.
m
l
February 27, 2013 2:09:25 PM

Episodic said:
Whenever I play on my battery all my games lag, and it did that when I had an HDD in there too. Yes I installed the SSD myself, just popped out my HDD and popped in the SSD. I do have my computer plugged in all the time because games lag when it runs on battery.

Well, i'm not sure if your issue can be solved to be honest... if you really wanted to pin point a problem (that can't be fixed) then you could try and power up your SSD to an seperate power supply and let everything else run on your laptop power supply. If things are better than at least you'll know where you problem lies...

m
l
August 27, 2013 2:25:41 PM

I have the same problem and not only that...I load the textures of crysis 2 in seconds just as almost every game i played but bo2 just keeps loading slow.I know a few things that might be causing it.

The problem with me is the oevrheating(well not only but mainly).I tried fixing my cooling system with a seperate fan.It kinda improved my performance(not only bo2,simply everything).The thing about laptops is that they have a poor cooling system but you fixed that issue so it might be something else.

Another problem is the cpu and video card but you also have some pretty decent ones so that also is not your problem.

You might wanna consider cleaning your laptop from dust.That causes overheating and lag.

The last problem i have is the hard drive.I dont have an ssd but as i said, i load crysis 2 graphics pretty fast.You might want to defrag your hard drive(not with windows defragging tho, that basicly sucks, use some other program that is proven to be good)Deleted files are not permanently deleted.They just leave the space they used empty so other files can take it.Thats why you want to defrag your hard disc.You also have to stop every unnecessary background program.To do that use Game Booster or manually close them from the task manager.

Let me know if this helped even a bit.I tried everything i said here and it improved my performance but i still have my probles and i know why - a really bad need of a desktop computer with a better build...
m
l
!