Sign in with
Your question

Mouse Lag in Source Games (HELP!!!)

Last response: in Video Games
February 25, 2013 6:30:30 PM

(HELP!!!) So I bought a new gaming PC for Christmas.. I downloaded Steam along with some games, the majority of them being source games. I played TF2, Garry's Mod and Counter Strike and all seemed fine. However a month later a noticed a strange 'jutter' in the mouse movement, it didn't seem harmful so I ignored it. But gradually the jutters got bigger and soon it came to the point where the mouse would (freeze/lag) whatever you want to call it, and become un-playable. This problem only seems to happen when I move, if I am stood still in-game the mouse movement is perfect. I really am quite frustrated with the situation as it seems i have wasted money on a gaming PC that i cannot use.

Fixes I have tried:
-Trying a different mouse
-Trying a different keyboard
-Trying a different USB port
-Updating the drivers for the mouse, keyboard and USB ports.
-Turning off V-Sync and Multi-core rendering in the options
-Different mouse mat

Also its not the PC as it is fairly good :p 
Specs:
Intel I7-3770k
16G RAM
2TB Hard Drive
AMD Radeon 7870

More about : mouse lag source games

February 25, 2013 7:20:11 PM

Try some different Role playing games like assassins creed 3, change mouse sensitivity and if still the problem arise then its a Motherboard problem!
February 27, 2013 5:22:35 PM

Thanks for the response! I have tried other games like Minecraft, Terraria, Arma 2 and more but the problem doesn't seem t arise in these games... I have my mouse sensitivity fairly high so I'm not sure if that is causing it.
Related resources
February 27, 2013 6:25:04 PM

Does it happen in only one game or some multiple games ?

Try playing those games at neighbors or cousins or friends and confirm the results
February 27, 2013 7:06:13 PM

As I have mentioned in the title it only happens in source games, so this is games like TF2, Garry's Mod, Half-Life, etc. I don't see how using my PC at another house hold would affect the results. Not unless you mean try using their PC's? And yes their Pc's work on these games.
February 27, 2013 7:23:46 PM

Neddy Kins said:
As I have mentioned in the title it only happens in source games, so this is games like TF2, Garry's Mod, Half-Life, etc. I don't see how using my PC at another house hold would affect the results. Not unless you mean try using their PC's? And yes their Pc's work on these games.

I think its a motherboard problem! Are you using a USB mouse or a PS/2 mouse

February 28, 2013 5:43:10 PM

USB mouse, the Rat 3.
March 3, 2013 4:07:34 PM

So what should I do on the website?
March 3, 2013 5:48:23 PM

#Update# I have now tested the mouse lag and it is now happening in all games.
The lag seems to happen when I press a movement key in game and then try and move the mouse, this is when it lags. If I am and stood still the mouse lag/ stutter/freeze does not occur.
March 4, 2013 6:17:10 AM

Try to borrow someones graphic card and just swap it with yours and see if it still happens. If it does not happen again then you know what to do
March 4, 2013 4:01:27 PM

I don't want to go through the hassle of swapping the graphics card from one PC to another. However if the graphics card is the problem then i can contact the people who built my PC and ask them for a new or different graphics card. I have the 7870 at the moment do you suggest getting another 7870 or the 660?
March 4, 2013 4:41:16 PM

A 660 would be just fine
March 4, 2013 6:22:58 PM

Well I'm going to contact them tomorrow, thank you for your help. And i will tell you what they said.
March 23, 2013 3:02:27 PM

Sorry for such a late reply. I contacted them and they said it will have been nothing to do with the graphics card. They said to re-install windows and delete everything and it worked up to now.:D  So if anyone has this problem just re-install windows!
March 23, 2013 10:26:31 PM

so the problem was with the OS?
March 23, 2013 10:37:40 PM

One unique quality of source games is they are OpenGl. I wonder if something got messed up with your OpenGl drivers.
March 24, 2013 6:15:42 AM

bystander said:
One unique quality of source games is they are OpenGl. I wonder if something got messed up with your OpenGl drivers.

Really? I thought it was dx9 with opengl supported on Mac/Linux.
March 24, 2013 8:05:53 AM

zooted said:
bystander said:

Really? I thought it was dx9 with opengl supported on Mac/Linux.

I guess according to Wiki you are right.
!