digital cable for Boston Digital BA735's

I inherited a pair of Boston Digital BA735 speakers from a relative. They
were paired with a Gateway Performance 500, which had a SB Live w/ digital
out.

The audio cable that came with the speakers is just a plain 1/8" male-male.
In addition to a 1/8" analog input, the Boston speakers also have an RCA
jack labeled "Digital In". My relative was not using the Digital In, they
had the SBLive connected to the analog input.

The PC that I have the speakers connected to has an Audigy OEM, which also
has a digital out (1/8" jack). I would like to use the digital input on the
Boston speakers.

1. Do I just need an 1/8" to RCA cable to use it? If so, I'm having trouble
finding such a cable. At one place, the salesperson said that even if I
found or rigged such a cable using an adapter, that the signal would not be
stereo.

2. I've found other postings on this group about these speakers 'magically'
convering the signal to digital. Even though I am currently using the analog
out on the Audigy and the analog in on the speakers, is it possible that it
is already being converted to digital?

I have to admit that these speakers already sound awesome compared to my old
Antec satellites w/ subwoofer.

thanks-

Brian
3 answers Last reply
More about digital cable boston digital ba735

    Yes you will need the cable. I have been trying for the last 18 months to
    get one from Gateway and they keep sending me the RCA to RCA cable. So if
    you locate one please post where you found it.
    "Brian Shinkle" <pb28@c0mcast.net> wrote in message
    > I inherited a pair of Boston Digital BA735 speakers from a relative. They
    > were paired with a Gateway Performance 500, which had a SB Live w/ digital
    > out.
    >
    > The audio cable that came with the speakers is just a plain 1/8"
    male-male.
    > In addition to a 1/8" analog input, the Boston speakers also have an RCA
    > jack labeled "Digital In". My relative was not using the Digital In, they
    > had the SBLive connected to the analog input.
    >
    > The PC that I have the speakers connected to has an Audigy OEM, which also
    > has a digital out (1/8" jack). I would like to use the digital input on
    the
    > Boston speakers.
    >
    > 1. Do I just need an 1/8" to RCA cable to use it? If so, I'm having
    trouble
    > finding such a cable. At one place, the salesperson said that even if I
    > found or rigged such a cable using an adapter, that the signal would not
    be
    > stereo.
    >
    > 2. I've found other postings on this group about these speakers
    'magically'
    > convering the signal to digital. Even though I am currently using the
    analog
    > out on the Audigy and the analog in on the speakers, is it possible that
    it
    > is already being converted to digital?
    >
    > I have to admit that these speakers already sound awesome compared to my
    old
    > Antec satellites w/ subwoofer.
    >
    > thanks-
    >
    > Brian

    I am almost totally unsure of exactly what you are looking for but, when I
    began digitizing my music tapes and lp's I had to connect dual (Right/Left
    channel) RCA output jacks on the various recorders to my sound card (1/8")
    cable. If this is what you are referring to I found one at my local Radio
    Shack. Unfortunately it was so long ago I can't remember the price or any
    order info. Perhaps you could find it or whatever you need at their
    internet site.

    Good luck,

    "Bill" <billrj@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Yes you will need the cable. I have been trying for the last 18 months to
    > get one from Gateway and they keep sending me the RCA to RCA cable. So if
    > you locate one please post where you found it.
    > "Brian Shinkle" <pb28@c0mcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I inherited a pair of Boston Digital BA735 speakers from a relative.
    They
    > > were paired with a Gateway Performance 500, which had a SB Live w/
    digital
    > > out.
    > >
    > > The audio cable that came with the speakers is just a plain 1/8"
    > male-male.
    > > In addition to a 1/8" analog input, the Boston speakers also have an RCA
    > > jack labeled "Digital In". My relative was not using the Digital In,
    they
    > > had the SBLive connected to the analog input.
    > >
    > > The PC that I have the speakers connected to has an Audigy OEM, which
    also
    > > has a digital out (1/8" jack). I would like to use the digital input on
    > the
    > > Boston speakers.
    > >
    > > 1. Do I just need an 1/8" to RCA cable to use it? If so, I'm having
    > trouble
    > > finding such a cable. At one place, the salesperson said that even if I
    > > found or rigged such a cable using an adapter, that the signal would not
    > be
    > > stereo.
    > >
    > > 2. I've found other postings on this group about these speakers
    > 'magically'
    > > convering the signal to digital. Even though I am currently using the
    > analog
    > > out on the Audigy and the analog in on the speakers, is it possible that
    > it
    > > is already being converted to digital?
    > >
    > > I have to admit that these speakers already sound awesome compared to my
    > old
    > > Antec satellites w/ subwoofer.
    > >
    > > thanks-
    > >
    > > Brian

    I have never seen the speakers in question but I'm wondering what the fuss is
    about. If they work from an analog output, there is almost no discernable
    sonic difference in using the SPDIF (digital) instead. That said, if these
    speakers are like most with a digital input, they'll either have a single RCA
    jack or mini-plug like portable headphones, only mono. If it uses the RCA, any
    standard RCA cable will work. Simply use only one channel of it. If it uses
    the mini-plug, then you need a simple adapter that Radio Shack should have.
    Just remember to tell your Operating System that you're using digital out
    rather than analog out.

Gateway Speakers Cable Computers