Sign in with
Your question

Lag with high fps

Last response: in Video Games
February 25, 2013 11:02:12 PM

Hello,

For a while now I have been getting lag even on something like 250 fps! This happens across all my games. But if I reduce the resolution down from 1920x1080 to something like 1280x1024 it is smooth as butter.

The games I play are mainly black ops and cod4

I don't understand why I get lag when I have much high enough fps..

Specs
G-card: NVIDIA gtx 560Ti (latest drivers)
CPU: Intel i5 3570
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence stx (latest drivers)
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V-LX
Ram: 4gig 1333
PSU: 750W crappy shell brand
Monitor: ASUS VH222

Help me :( 

More about : lag high fps

February 26, 2013 9:01:04 PM

i have the same problem in some games i get 60 fps but the game is not smooth and couldn't find the cause or how to fix it
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2013 9:07:21 PM

Replace your PSU. It probably won't help, but I hate seeing good rigs risked by crap PSUs
m
l
February 26, 2013 10:52:46 PM

Use V-Sync? Doubt you're running a "steady" 250 fps, it's prolly ranging around 100-250. Your fps running around like that can sometimes (imo) make it feel "laggy", as it is dropping around the place (even if your refresh rate on your monitor is 60HZ for ex). So try using V-Sync, it'll lock it to your monitors refresh rate. See if that helps.
m
l
February 27, 2013 3:41:20 AM

lol, 250? if its laggy and ur monitor is like a 60hz that means its going under 60.
m
l
February 27, 2013 12:17:45 PM

#1 I am running a steady 250 fps on cod 4 and its still quite "laggy"
#2 Yes iippo1998 thats what I believe should happen but its not, 250 fps @ high resolution is quite laggy for me.
m
l
February 27, 2013 6:24:54 PM

Alejely said:
#1 I am running a steady 250 fps on cod 4 and its still quite "laggy"
#2 Yes iippo1998 thats what I believe should happen but its not, 250 fps @ high resolution is quite laggy for me.

Is COD4 the only game you're having this problem with? Maybe you should try re-installing it?
m
l
February 28, 2013 2:31:25 AM

No I get the problem with all my games as I said, just cod 4 holds 250 fps any my others hold something like 125 but still "lag"
m
l
March 1, 2013 9:50:58 AM

lag or stutter? Lag being a delay between input and action
m
l
March 1, 2013 10:52:06 AM

Is this in multiplayer? Is it the same in single?
m
l
March 1, 2013 11:12:56 PM

not stutter its looks visually like lag. This happens in all games whether its single player or multiplayer.
m
l
March 3, 2013 8:25:16 AM

-bump (im guessing it might be hardware since new reinstalls of win7 7 + testing xp didnt help. Do you know what part of my pc could be cousing this "lag" most likely. Ive tested a different gpu and it isnt that.
m
l
March 3, 2013 4:01:58 PM

if it's lagging (like a noticable delay between clicking and your gun firing) it *could* be down to too much USB traffic or something like that? What do you have connected?

Other than that, the usual things - check what's running in the background (AV scan? java updates? etc.), defrag, uninstall any crap you don't need etc.
m
l
March 3, 2013 8:01:19 PM

I was having the same problem :)  turns out my power supply wasn't giving enough juice to the graphics card and the processor. So when there was any action on screen the game would slow down and then the fps would go back up again. I ordered a PSU and i'll let u know if it solves the problem. Btw i play the same games :) 
m
l
March 4, 2013 5:55:39 AM

Thanks for responses. I have a keyboard@3.0, mouse@3.0 and webcam@2.0. That shouldn't cause much traffic. should it?

haider95 how'd you find out it was your psu? some sort of test?
m
l
March 4, 2013 1:33:12 PM

Hi. Run prime95 and Fur Mark at the same time. If your PC passes the test then you can blame the problem on other hardware issues. But this is most likely an issue of lack of power
m
l
March 4, 2013 8:31:21 PM

haider95 said:
Hi. Run prime95 and Fur Mark at the same time. If your PC passes the test then you can blame the problem on other hardware issues. But this is most likely an issue of lack of power

I guess that might work, lack of power would likely crash your computer if your running prime 95 and furmark
m
l
March 14, 2013 4:06:36 AM

Okay, I ran prime95 and furmark and guess what?? My psu exploded! so I get a new one and it still didn't fix the problem. so confused...
m
l
March 14, 2013 5:13:51 AM

Alejely said:
Okay, I ran prime95 and furmark and guess what?? My psu exploded! so I get a new one and it still didn't fix the problem. so confused...

Did you fix it with a good reputable PSU? If your old PSU was crap and exploded and you bought a new cheapo PSU ....its probably the same problem.
m
l
March 14, 2013 5:33:24 AM

envymert said:
Alejely said:

Did you fix it with a good reputable PSU? If your old PSU was crap and exploded and you bought a new cheapo PSU ....its probably the same problem.
Got a new Antec HCG-620 High Current Gamer Gaming PSU. So it should be fine.
Overall now i've tried my ram, psu, drivers, g-card.

m
l
March 14, 2013 6:10:20 AM

If your cheap PSU went, there's no telling what it could have damaged in the process.
m
l
March 14, 2013 6:27:36 AM

A new PSU is advised if it's a no-name brand... BUT that will not fix your stuttering issue. Download and install MSI Afterburner if you don't already have it, and use the OSD function to limit your global framerate to a maximum just above your monitor refresh rate (I have mine at 62). This should allow your GPU to deliver frames at a nice, even pace.
m
l
March 14, 2013 8:09:31 AM

I got a Small advice...
But first, are you using LOGITECH keyboard/mice?
If so, those are knon to cause some strange lag issues (the game most known for this is F.E.A.R, but other games might be affected as well.

Just google something like Logitech games lag or something. Basicly you need to disable drivers for your logitech hardware (will still work np).

Thats assuming your problems wont be solved after PSU is changed.... and i hope the PSu didnt fry your componenets.
m
l
March 14, 2013 3:15:37 PM

All my other components luckily work fine, nothing broke.
I've tested keyboard and mouse for micro lag but that wasn't the case even tho I have a Logitech g510 keyboard.
Ill try the MSI afterburner and report back.
m
l
March 15, 2013 2:54:16 AM

MSI didn't work. any other solutions to try out?
m
l
March 17, 2013 3:19:48 AM

Sorry i've been out of toms hardware couldn't keep up with this thread. Re-read OP's original post. Black OPs is the baddest optimized game since GTA4. You will have to mess with the config file in the player folder to make it use more than a single CPU core. I believe i have read the tutorial recently and managed to get you a link on what to do. Again, Black OPS is a poorly optimized game that only uses a single CPU core.

I believe that it would be easier if i just told you what to do myself..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

Go to this place and open the config file

Now look for the this
"seta r_multithreaded_device "1"

and change that to the amount of cores you have. Your i5 has 4

It did help my game a lot but not drastically. Let us know how it goes!
m
l
March 19, 2013 11:56:58 PM

I know alllot about the black ops config, done alot of research over a long period of time. And I can tell you that seta r_multithreaded_device is only valid to 0 or 1. This line has nothing to do with your processor (think its got something to do with a gpu) and the game does run on all cores. To play the game with 1 core set your affinity in the task manager to only 1 cpu core. I guaranty you will get low fps, alot lower than any setting of r_multithreaded_device.

Also This problem happens on cod4 (and other games) aswell which is said to be a well optimized game.
m
l
June 1, 2013 7:50:00 PM

Estacado said:
i have the same problem in some games i get 60 fps but the game is not smooth and couldn't find the cause or how to fix it

I had that same exact problem of having over 60 fps good ping etc..... I fixed it by turning off background
Programs by goin in the start bar on desktop and search misconfig and hit enter and turn off programs you dont need hit apply. Then restart note: you may need to turn off more than one I hope this helps someone if not idk what else helps
Extra note: this will also improve fps too in all your games if it doesnt fix the lag then it will improve performance
m
l
June 2, 2013 3:53:30 AM

I have this problem as well! My thread has also found no answers. I know what you mean, the fps and ping are fine, but it stutters. One way you can temporarily fix it is by turning on Vsync. It is not a fix because it creates input lag. I hope you find an answer, because it is driving me mad!
m
l
June 2, 2013 3:54:12 AM

I also ahve the same GPU, and MoBo as you! Mabie it is to do with them.
m
l
November 18, 2013 2:31:38 PM

I also have that problem and no solutions. But i have the AMD FX8350 CPU and GTX 770 GPU and the sabertooth fx990/gen3 MoBo. Dont know what to do, the only thing I know is that it is making me realy mad. Hope to find a solution soon.
m
l
November 28, 2013 7:46:56 AM

Zerratastic said:
I also have that problem and no solutions. But i have the AMD FX8350 CPU and GTX 770 GPU and the sabertooth fx990/gen3 MoBo. Dont know what to do, the only thing I know is that it is making me realy mad. Hope to find a solution soon.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, I've had it for ages! There just seems to be no fix!
m
l
January 10, 2014 8:05:57 PM

For me, I had this issue, and it turns out my GFX Card wasn't in the PCI-E slot fully, check yours.
m
l
3 minutes ago

I bought a new GPU recently and i had the same problem so before i start clearing out the solution when i bought my new GPU i went to put it in the box but i had some issues and couldn't properly insert it and had problems with the screws so it was kinda hanging on the port the whole time and i would push it in day by day strenghtening it a bit.
Solution:
So I had the same problem just like you and i read this topic to find a solution and i didn't. But today i found it out. So before this day that i found the solution of the high fps but still lag problem the entire week i would actually hear my computer making a lot of noise. I only thought that it was from the huge heat from the summer and the fans working intensely but than the worse thing happend as i was playing i went to see why it was doing that and check out my new graphic card and other components in the box. So i wen't to touch the Graphics card and pull it up to the way it's suppose to be and push it forward to the port but it fell out of the port and the pc shutdowned. i opened the cover and and put it back in and turned off the power. Than i decided to find some good steel wires and tied it to the place it's supposed to be held correctly where the screw holes are. And it was nicely tied up and inserted with no more problems. So i turn on back the pc and start up my game gw2. And suddenly the game is smooth as hell. The fps is high as before but with several fps more and better and it isn't choppy or laggy at all, it's as if i bought a newer gpu. So try that see if your GPU is inserted correctly into the port. Put something on it and strenghten it. Deleting old drivers didn't work for me but this simple stuff did. So yeah that is my solution
m
l
!