Sign in with
Your question

Best board for s478 P4 prescott C0 3,2 OC'ing?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 9, 2004 12:21:11 PM

Now I have s478 P4 Prescott 3,2Ghz C0 on the EPoX 4PCA3+ rev2.2 but it seems the board have problems when I want to go over fsb250 I have hit fsb273 for once, but that's only cause of luck... (I've tried several other cpu's too - 2,8c and 3,0c the same fsb...)

What I'm looking forward is - board for this CPU, on which I could get stable to fsb280-fsb300... is there any board out there to do that?

I was looking forward to the ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe or Abit IC7 Max3... but the question is - which one is the best, and which revison? Just want to be sure to get the right board to OC' even if it needs modifications...
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2004 1:20:54 AM

The P4C800-E deluxe has a faulty VRM design and can degrade quickly to the point where you can no longer achieve good overclocks. Read the review at Sysopt for more information. Seems sites like Tom's and Anandtech don't put enough hours on these boards to reveal the problem.

Are you sure it's not a RAM issue?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 10, 2004 6:28:36 AM

Shouldn't be the ram issue, I was running Patriot PC4200ram, and now Patriot XBLK with Samsung TCCD chips - they sure can go higher that fsb250, 260 ;) 

And what about Abit IC7 Max3?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2004 6:34:24 AM

It's worth a try, if you're really secure with your memory:) 

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 10, 2004 7:47:25 PM

It might not be the board (are you cooling the northbridge
I Hit the 317 once bus with my board and have it at 287 right now
Are u using the unlocked mutiplier ( bios 1018)?
What was your highest stable overclock?
A while ago I couldnt pass 260
Iy was my memmory (I too thought it was my mobo/cpu)
try putting a 5:4 ratio on your memmory
run memtest86 Also make sure the turbo feature is off
I think its your memmory

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>
December 15, 2004 7:15:03 PM

The Abit Max 3 is a great OCer. I have tried sevral and they are rock solid. The only problem is the fact that they are almost impossible to find on the market now.

-----------------------------------
AMD 2500+ @ 2.2GHz
Abit NF7-S v2
WD Raptors 74GBx2 RAID 0 & WD 120JB
1GB Dual Channel Mushkin 2.3.3.7
ATI AIW 9700
Watercooled
!