One handed gaming with mx5500 mouse

tom_876

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. I only have the use of one hand but love fps' very frustrating having to transition from keyboard to mouse and vice versa. To fix this i bought a new keyboard and mouse, a logitech mx5500 revolution bundle... i only really picked that one for its mouse, it has a great scroll wheel where you left thumb is, perfects to control walking etc. Im having a problem though, i cant set these buttons, or any non standard buttons for that matter on the in games settings/controls pages, ive tried quite a few.

The logitech software only offers config options for office applications.. Im wondering if any smart person out there has got around this issue?

Cheers,
Tom

Solution
Set one of the 'office' applications as a gaming profile, map the keys you need/want to the mouse and when you game, just use that profile to allow control,
I'm answering from my phone so haven't seen your mouse but my RAT9 is a profile mouse and allows profile editing so I'd assume you have some method of changing it as well,
Moto
Set one of the 'office' applications as a gaming profile, map the keys you need/want to the mouse and when you game, just use that profile to allow control,
I'm answering from my phone so haven't seen your mouse but my RAT9 is a profile mouse and allows profile editing so I'd assume you have some method of changing it as well,
Moto

Solution
Sorry to hear that you are physically disabled. I was doing some online research for you to see if there is a a somewhat affordable solution that can improve your gaming experience.

I found a device called TrackerIR5. It is basically a camera that tracks your head motion to replicate mouse movement. Now there is no way to replicate the mouse buttons, but you can typically re-map them in most games. This will allow you to use your good hand to play games. The device costs $150 which is not too bad at all especially since it seems it should make games both more enjoyable for you and also easier to control.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

The downside is there are only 100 games that are compatible with the device. I'm sure more will be supported, but it is important to know that it is not 100% compatible with all games. The link below lists all games that are current compatible with the device.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/enhanced-games-all.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e4bvgU9vyM&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw&index=46 this is the mouse i would recommend for you...
it had a dpad where the thumb buttons are. if its 8 directional then it solves your issue, if its 4 directional it would still work but would require a bit more adjustment on your part.
you may want to get in touch with the manufacturer and explain your interest and why you need this mouse. i think it is only 4 directional but thats enough to map the wasd keys. but 8 directional would be of slightly more use as you can then add jump crouch and other controls to the thumb as well as other basic commands.

tom_876

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Thank you very much for doing that, im very grateful, I will look into it ;)

Tom

The mouse is now working, but side bonus, this will help me with flight sim heaps!

tom_876

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Thanks, I figured it out. Not easy to run shoot and jump but a lot better than I had. Thanks :D

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

OMG I should try this in BF3. I have the G25 Steering wheel. Imagine replacing the forward/backward buttons for pedals and the clutch for "jump"...hmm...i might give that a try :na:

far more important if you only have one hand. For you I think that because of the pedal travel the timings will be slower than keys, but probably more flexible/faster than scroll wheel.

Eboosted

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Hello OP:
I'm in the same boat as you, I only have the use of my right hand. I'm looking for a mouse that will allow me to walk-run with the scroll wheel, side buttons to move left and right, mouse movement for aiming, some programable buttons for jump, crouch, run, etc.

Not sure if this kind of mouses exist and if they button could be programmed in these two particular games, I don't know either how hard would be to play games with only a mouse by itself, of course I could always lift the hand from the mouse to press some keys to swap weapons or not so used commands.

Hope someone could give us some pointers

have you considered foot pedals, like in a driving game, right pedal foward left pedal backward. most gaming mice you can customise the buttons to certain key commands, but it all gets a bit tight, and pressing the button would probably move the mouse and your aim. occulus rift...