JackWhite

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I have had a MSI 6800GT since 3 months ago. My temperatures had always been within the reasonable, about 55C idle and not over 72C under load. I even remember having overclocked it to 420 / 1100 and it never surpassed 78C.

But tonight, after updating the drivers to forceware 66.97 i checked out the idle temperature and it was around 64C. That scared the [-peep-] out of me, and I proceeded to test it with RTHDRIBL, Doom3 and Half-Life 2. My fears were confirmed and I saw it reach 95C (!) after a few minutes running RTHDRIBL. Half-Life 2 gave me no less than 92C. Everything at stock speed.

All kinds of self-induced paranoia have begun to torture me. Did i hold the fan blades too rudely while cleaning the card one month ago? I don't think that's the answer, I remember checking temperatures and even overclocking after that. Does the driver version have anything to do with it (that IS paranoia)? No, they don't, apparently. The room temperature is in the mid-high 20's and obviously it hasn't varied much in one month, though my CPU temperatures are now some 4 or 5 degrees higher than they were a few weeks ago.

I really don't know what to do. Truth is I haven't experimented any artifacts or hangups while playing, which is strange with such temperatures. And i've touched the card's heatsink and while it was surely hot, I had no trouble keeping my fingers on it. It occured to me that the card probes could be measuring inaccurately, but why would that happen all of a sudden? What in the world could make a GPU that worked normally rise 10C idle and 20C under load? I have considered getting a NV Silencer 5 and some Arctic Silver, but before that I thought I could use some advice.

People who use these on their 6800GT seem to be within 60's under load, mainly depending on air flow inside the case, i guess. I have two intake 80mm fans and one outtake 120mm fan. So, theoretically, if I purchase the new heatsink and thermal paste and still see temperatures around 80's (they'll probably drop at least a bit) with no artifacts, could I assume the temperature probes are [-peep-] up?

Any thoughts, theories, suggestions about this matter could noticeably ease my worried mind ;)

Thanks a lot

JackWhite

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I know this card can endure (at least in theory) temperatures that high, but I'm afraid it could die much before it was expected to. What really worries me is the fact that I haven't been getting such temperatures from the beginning, which means the fan could have deteriorated. And so the card could be running near enough the frying point to decrease its lifespan, and far enough not to notice any anomalies. I have a carpet in the room and it's well known that doesn't exactly help dust issues. The fan didn't seem too dirty, though. Is there a way to measure the GPU fan speed?

Now I'm back to forceware 66.31 and it's about the same. So I guess i'll go for the Silencer and the Arctic Silver for some reassurance. At least that way I'll know I have possibly the best air cooling solution for my card, and this means I'll be able to forget those crazy temperature readings.

I have thought of a way of determining whether the temperatures are right. I could forget about them for a while and try to CAREFULLY overclock the card to the speed it was able to reach with any artifacts, then see what happens. I should be able to detect serious image artifacts before frying it, is that right?

Thanks for your help

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
How dirty is your card's heatsink? Mine gets pretty dusty even though I have a Lian-Li PC-65 case with a really good airfilter, and i live in a new house. Also as previously mentioned it might be a driver error. Try useing driver cleaner after uninstalling the drivers, also try the old driver again, if it goes back down you know its just reading it differently. After i flashed by BIOS on my old P4 mobo the heat "went up" 7c, its just the sensor reading. Also if it is really heating up that much, while you are runnign the game, touch the heatsink, makeing sure you are grounded. If it is blistering hot then it may be a cooling issue, but if it is not blistering hot then its most likely the sensor. Also your card should still be under warranty if anything goes wrong.

Asus A8V Deluxe(rev. 2.00) / A64 3000 / 1024mb OCZ DDR533 / BFG 6800GT@405/1100 / Baracuda 120GB / Lian-Li PC-65 / Syncmaster 700NF / Klipsch Promedia 4.1 / Antech True 380

TheCoLd

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2003
I suggest taking the cover off and cleaning the fins, mine were collecting and my temps were starting to go up.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
watercool that stuff, i never get over 52C (which is high with watercooling imo so thaese things are hotheads)

MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
AMD A64 3500+ @ 10x250
Corsair TwinX 2x512 mb PC4000 v3.3
120 maxtor SATA
Point of view 6800GT 256mb
All Watercooled by Innovatek

cookingfrags

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004
a few months back an nvidia driver, one that i downloaded anyways...reluctantly...had issues with overheating video cards, anywhere from negligible to alarming amounts. so i wouldnt <i>completely</i> rule out a driver update as a problem...

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well a "slight" temp increase can happen from a driver change since it could make it work harder but not what he is talking about.

Does sound like the driver not reading the sensor right for they do give out the temp reading from the sensors.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Sounds like the driver isnt reading the sensors right.

Better question is are you getting snow or artifacts? If not dont worry about it.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Nobody else has had this problem and therefore I would rule it out--especially since (if you read ALL that he's said), he tried the old driver and it gives him the same high temps.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
he should try a probe

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(buttom/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b