blueviking11

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I wouldn't bother you guys with an assinie question unless I've done a bunch of research. I've been reading for hours about this and I'm still confused........
I've got an NF7-S v.2. I'm waiting for delivery of an xp 2500 mobile and 1 gig of quality PC3500 memory from NewEgg. I'm trying to learn myself a bit on how to overclock and the L12 mod is getting me confused. I was under the impression that the above mentioned combo would overclock "out of the box". I thought that the Mobile cpu multipliers were unlocked? I've read in few places that the L12 mod is necessary for changing the multiplier. I'd rather not have to make that mod if I didn't have to,

Also, I read that the NF7-S board is unable to manipulate the multiplier because it does not support the PowerNow of the mobile cpu's? That doesn't sound right to me. Could anyone add clarity to this as well?

ratha

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
I cant say i know anything about mobile cores, but i can say that overclocking is relatively simple if you set up a system and document what you are doing, where you have had success and where you have had failures.

As you seem to think, unless it is ABSOLUTLY necessary, do not do any hardware modifications. I have read multiple posts about people having an "oops" and it costing them another 200 bucks or more to resolve their mistake. Ive read enough of them that i wouldnt modify anything other than to put a heatsync on it. But thats just me.

Here is a site that i found the other day which i pointed a few people i know who are attempting to overclock. I have a bit different approach than this person does, but his methods *seem* sound or atleast the ideas he has to get the kinds of numbers he does.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=43

There is a part in there that confuses me a little bit, i think i know what hes saying, but he says it in a strange way. Thats under the 'finding the highest FSB' section.

For the most part though i think his methods are solid. However do take caution on what you set your voltages at. He recommends upping the ram voltage as high as it will go. I do not. Depends on how far you intend on overclocking, and how much power your PSU actually delivers to your ram.

Mine overvolts, so setting mine to the max would give the ram 3 volts. Mine is not rated to run above 2.9, and default is 2.6, but they have recommended to me to run at 2.7 before, so setting mine to 2.6 (lowest option) is perfect.

If you follow his advice, when you get to the memory section, take care. His table for memory timings is set very tight. Specially if you intend on actually overclocking. Even his loosest timing is too tight for some boards and some ram modules "6-3-3-2 on nForce2 boards"

So just take a little common sense with ya and you should be fine. Sorry i cant help more about the mobile processor. Normally i troll the [H]ard forums for useful information, but they have been down the last week otherwise id look for ya.

And when i post, i never get answers to my questions over there. I barely get thread views for that matter. Thats why im here for awhile (rather back after a few years) :p

Anyway, good luck, keep checking in, im sure someone will be able to help you out more on the mobile question. If there are any questions i can help you through i would be more than willing to give it my best shot.

Ratha

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
The NF7-S and the AMD mobiles are a great combo. Yes, it OC's right of the box. Forget the L12 mod for the time being. I haven't used it yet. And when you do want to try it to see if you get even higher, you can use modded BIOS which have it built-in. No need to break out the soldering iron.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4