*** steam

shanehad

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hello,
Why TF do i need updates and all this BS security when i dont even play online.i buy a game,install and that should be it.waiting for updates and now this new security guard is BS.I now need a login name ,a password and now a code they supposedly have send me through email(which isnt there) .so once again i have to figure out how to bypass there bullshit or i cant play.Ive never come across anything so useless and invasive in my life.

I know. It sucks, but get used to it. This is the latest and most effective form of copy protection and seems to be catching on. If you're not an authenticated user of the game (each time you run it), you don't have access to it.

The thing that sucks as a consumer is this creates even more value for your account ID and password on the black market. Hackers can sell your account info for $$. This gives hackers incentive to try to steal your account so they can sell it to someone who, in turn, will then have access to your game library.

EA games is now doing it through Origin as well.

Just remember to turn the services off or logout when you're not using them.

Why TF do i need updates and all this BS security when i dont even play online

Because it greatly simplifies patch delivery. Nevermind that Valve wouldn't know you don't plan to go online. If you don't want automatic updates, you can disable them on a game-by-game basis.

nd now this new security guard is BS.I now need a login name ,a password and now a code they supposedly have send me through email(which isnt there)

Steam guard is a great idea, since it guards against account hijacking, which is a major problem (especially since people will quickly get a few thousand worth of games tied to their account).