Changing any game's settings = crash

Jackarias

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hi
I got a new pc for christmas. It's a dell XPS 8500.
Intel i5 3.1ghz
RAM was 4gb, I've upgraded to 8gb (2x4gb)
AMD radeon HD 7570 (driver's up to date)
Windows 8

Okay so i have an odd problem that I can't really figure out. With the majority of games I play, when I change the graphical settings, the game stops responding and crashes. It happens instantly. This is repeatable and reliable.

Games I've observed this problem in:
Counter Strike Global Offensive
War Z
Left 4 Dead 2
Planetside 2
Half life 2
Counter strike source
Arma 2 + Day Z

Games that don't seem to be affected:
Guild wars 2
Dota 2
World of warcraft

The workaround I've been using only works for a couple of games (namely CSGO and war z). I play in fullscreen windowed mode and it doesn't crash when I change the settings, but obviously this is not ideal, and with the other games mentioned, changing to windowed mode crashes the game anyway.

I really don't know where to start with this problem, and I hope I'm posting it in the right subforum.

Thanks for any help
Jack :)

Jackarias

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

I should add: alt+tabbing out of the mentioned games also has the same result, unless they are played in fullscreen windowed mode (and even then only CSGO and war z)

Jackarias

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
3rd bump. I can now add simcity to the list of games that crash if I tab out. Changing video settings is ok, but tabbing out or switching to windowed mode - crash.

i really hope someone has some idea of where to start, i'd appreciate any input at all, really getting to me >.<

Jackarias

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Yeah this has been happening since the very beginning. Today I've noticed that if I run both origin and simcity exes in compatibility for windows 7, the problem is gone. Interesting, but don't know what to do with that information.