overclocking msi k7n2 mobo with barton 2800+

hussainshah

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
Although i have been passionate about pc for quite a time now....but i have never given any serious thought towards overclocking...........the reason being that custom heat sinks and fans are almost impossible to find in the country that i live in......................... What i want to ask is by using my pc which is described below and using retail heatsink and fan .........can i overclock my pc................are there going to be any side effects.....

Can somebody please tell me the step by step process of overclocking my pc......As I am totally ignorant in this field........

MOTHERBOARD: MSI K7N2 DELTA
PROCESSOR: AMD BARTON 2800+
Ram: KINGSTON pc 3200 512 mb ram
GRAPHICS CARD: MSI GEFORCE 5200 WITH 128 MB

P.S: this may seem to be a completely stupid question to some.....but can somebody tell me that if there are no effects of overclocking on cpu then why don't the companies do it theirselves......please forgive my ignorance

7even

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
Hi,

in my opinion the most important thing while overclocking is to be aware of the temperatures. If your overclocking result is stable there are other side effects like shorter livetime of the CPU or other overclocked components or higher power consumption.
But even if your CPU lives only a few years because of your overclocking, you save more money in having more CPU power over this years than the CPU is worth at that time.

This for background consideration. ;)

If you want to begin to overclock you system, the first step is to install a tool that displays your temperatures. This could do the MSI tool (can't remember the name) or another tool like Motherboard Monitor.

After installing such a tool, you see your system's temps and you can consider whether you can start an overclocking attempt or not.

After checking temps you have to become familiar with the BIOS and overclocking possibilities.
The main things you can overclock are the FSB (the Front Side Bus of the Mainboard), the RAM clock and (when your CPU is not locked) the CPU multiplier.
Your board handles other clocks like the PCI or AGP busses or RAM clock independent from the FSB, which is a great advantage. You have to know that the CPU clock is still affected from FSB changes - but this is exactly what you want! ;)

Overclocking attempts you can make already in windows. There is a tool from nVidia (which is called "nTune") that can change your FSB from your running system. This possibility has the advantage, that you can see any changes in you temps "live", but you have to consider that your system freezes.

When you have found your final overclocking settings you should set them in BIOS to enable them at every boot.

I think this is enough for short introduction in your overclocking possibilities. When you have further questions on your system, don't hesitate to post them, cause I've the same board and processor! ;)

Greetings and good luck,
>7even

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Please hit the clicky:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=675291#675291" target="_new">Clicky</A>

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>