Where, oh where is this subdirectory?

This should probably be a question for Microsoft, but since it happened on
my Gateway 700XL system running WinXP Pro, I'll start here.

I recently did a search on *.mp3, looking for a music file I had
"misplaced." Well, in addition to finding the missing file, the search also
listed a lot of other files in the "Documents and Settings/Owner/My
Documents/My Music" subdirectory. Please note two things: 1) There is no
"C:\" preceding the subdirectory structure and 2) this subdirectory lisiting
uses *forward* slashes, not the usual DOS backslashes.

This subdirectory does not show up in Windows Explorer (except in the Search
Results). It is not on the desktop. Windows will play a file if I
double-click it, so they must live somewhere.

My wife and I both have accounts on this computer, mostly to keep email
accounts separate, and neither is "Owner" although I read somewhere that
there is always an "Owner" account. None shows up in the system account
listing.

These are all rather old files and I would like to delete them. Where are
they?

Thanks,
Turner
2 answers Last reply
More about where subdirectory

    C:/Documents and settings/owner/my documents/my music

    Just like it says, I have to admit that this confused me as well when going
    from windows 98 to windows xp, it is posible that unless you are logged in
    as an administrator this directory may be hidden, try logging on as the
    "owner" and look for this folder. It is there though I promiss you.

    Curtis

    "Turner Morgan" <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > This should probably be a question for Microsoft, but since it happened on
    > my Gateway 700XL system running WinXP Pro, I'll start here.
    >
    > I recently did a search on *.mp3, looking for a music file I had
    > "misplaced." Well, in addition to finding the missing file, the search
    also
    > listed a lot of other files in the "Documents and Settings/Owner/My
    > Documents/My Music" subdirectory. Please note two things: 1) There is no
    > "C:\" preceding the subdirectory structure and 2) this subdirectory
    lisiting
    > uses *forward* slashes, not the usual DOS backslashes.
    >
    > This subdirectory does not show up in Windows Explorer (except in the
    > Results). It is not on the desktop. Windows will play a file if I
    > double-click it, so they must live somewhere.
    >
    > My wife and I both have accounts on this computer, mostly to keep email
    > accounts separate, and neither is "Owner" although I read somewhere that
    > there is always an "Owner" account. None shows up in the system account
    > listing.
    >
    > These are all rather old files and I would like to delete them. Where are
    > they?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Turner

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:00:41 -0400, "Turner Morgan"
    <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I recently did a search on *.mp3, looking for a music file I had
    >"misplaced." Well, in addition to finding the missing file, the search also
    >listed a lot of other files in the "Documents and Settings/Owner/My
    >Documents/My Music" subdirectory. Please note two things: 1) There is no
    >"C:\" preceding the subdirectory structure and 2) this subdirectory lisiting
    >uses *forward* slashes, not the usual DOS backslashes.

    [...]

    >These are all rather old files and I would like to delete them. Where are
    >they?

    Whereever they are... you should be able to get rid of them by
    rightclicking on them in the search results window and then selecting
    delete, or alternatively select them and press the delete key on the
    keyboard.

    Albert Alcoceba
    <><
    alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au