Gigabyte GA-K8NS won't accept two dimms

jkm

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Hello fellow geeks & earthlings.

I built me 3 puters over x-mas and I am having no end of problems with the lucky last. Basically, I cannot use two DDR400 Adata 256 memory sticks, only one. I knocked the frequency down to 166 on the Gigabyte GA-K8NS M/board via the super secret ctrl + F1 procedure, but it still won't pharken work!! Interestingly my changed bios settings are not saved for some reason. I have the latest Bios rev (F9). ANY HELP would be appreciated. System is as follows:

Gigabyte socket 754 GA-K8NS
AMD Athlon 64 3000
Radeon 9600 XT
Maxtor drives

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I assume you have tried all the slot combos?
What about flashing the cmos after puttin in the second dimm? I had to do that to my mom's new machine to get the the machine to boot after puttin in another dimm, it was crazy!

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

jkm

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
After all the phluffing about, this was the conclusion......(in case your interested)

I managed to actually get the PC to boot by using an old PC2700 Kingmax 256Mb stick.

After booting I changed the bios to fail safe mode and only then would it accept an Adata 256Mb stick of RAM.

At no stage was I able to get two Adata sticks to work together, even after countless bios changes and tweaks.

My conclusion........the board is simply not compatible with Adata memory of the shelf.

I returned the M/board to the store and have ordered a DFI LAN PARTY UT nF3 250Gb

It's unlikely I will use Gigabyte again. The fact that the board would not even boot at all with Adata RAM is bad news I think.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Hopefully you have better luck with DFI than I did. My DFI board had horrible memory incompatability problems. It wouldn't run stable with OCZ, Kingston, or even Corsair XMS. It ran ok with underclocked gheto samsung ram. Oh well... That is just my luck though, lol :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
Sorry you had a bad experience. I find GigaByte to make extremely stable feature rich boards.
No matter what you buy, all boards have quarks and incompatibilities, which you are now learning.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

jkm

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
My last personal rig m/baord was a Gigabyte GA-8SRX, so I only just got off the Gigabyte bandwagon.

Hey Folken........if I get in trouble with the DFI board I know who to contact. Sounds like you had a really tough time. Was it an Oskar Wu designed board?

DFI have been getting great reviews with the LANParty UT nF3 250Gb. Try this one...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2198

I've got forum contacts in the USA and UK who are raving about this board also.

I gotta be honest and say I can't remember the last time a Gigabyte board created any hoopla like this one. They just build em for mainstream hi volume apps I feel, not for enthusiasts.

Any Gigabyte fans that wanna direct me to web reviews that will prove my opinion wrong, or that might sway me......please let me know.