PS3, and Wii adding to wired network.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Not so much for speed as stability. I have new neighbors that are generating a LOT of RF interference with the Wireless G on the Wii, and, well the PS3 is in the same spot, so I was wondering, what will it take to get both of these consoles on my wired network? I've got cat 6 run to just behind the TV console these are in, I am concerned with adapters, and how to configure the actual console, not setting up my network for them...

Solution
If you already have a cat 6 running from your router to the console, you can pick up a cheap 4-port switch. If DHCP is plugged into your router, it's just a point of plugging the cat 6 cable you already have into one of the ports on the switch, your PS3 to a port on the switch with another cat 5 or cat 6 cable, and your Wii to a port on the switch with another cat 5 or cat 6 cable. It doesn't matter which port you use for any of the connections:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-026&ParentOnly=1

For $12, you can have your Wii and PS3 hardwired to your internet connection with this 10/100 switch. If you want a switch with gigabit connections (faster for newer PC hardware) for next gen consoles, get this one for $18:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=4%20port%20network%20switch&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

It is a gigabit switch.

Either switch above will allow streaming video no problem.

If your internet router (connected to your ISP) is set up for DHCP, all you have to do is set your consoles to use DHCP for under the network settings and you're good to go.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
FWIW, I have 3 Cat 6 ports run to the wall plate behind the TV. One for the DirecTV Cinema Connector, one for the Wii, and one for the PS3. My wired ethernet network has been upgraded from 10/100 a while ago. The infrastructure is all gigabit. 16 port switch, and gigabit ports on my router. The issue I am having is finding information on networking specs, and etc... for these gaming consoles. I somewhat doubt either is going to be capable of gigabit. And I knew that I needed a USB ethernet dongle for the Wii. I guess my question could be better summed up, what dongle do I need, and what do I need to do in the Wii, and the PS3 to make them talk nicely to the rest of my network over the now attached wire? Can they be statically assigned or is DHCP required? (Static IP addressing makes writing firewall rules SO much easier...)

Solution