Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Hi all,
I'll soon be getting the following components:

Asus P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard
Pentium 4 560J processor (prb=1)
4x 512Mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-675
ATi FireGL V7100 (16x PCIe)

Here's what I would like to do. I want to run the processor at around 3.86 GHz (up from 3.6) and at 1066 MHz FSB instead of 800 MHz (The P5AD2-E Premium comes with 1066 MHz FSB support, and I’ve got cooling under control, so don't worry about that).

The Asus P5AD2-E Premium also comes with DDR2-711 native support, so I want to run the memory to at least it's native speed of 675, instead of 533 (which I "believe" the i925xe chipset locks in?). And I want to keep the Video Card at its default settings.

I've only had a little experience overclocking in the past, and none on a LGA775 system. So, here's where I need some help. Could someone kind of run through exactly what I’ll need to do in the BIOS to achieve what I listed above?

It needn't be super detailed, I know how to navigate through the BIOS, I just need a refresher on what settings exactly I’ll need to change and what to watch out for.

Like I said, I’m very well aware of the heat issues of the Prescott and have the cooling issue under control, I just need help with the settings :).

As always, thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For best performance you're going to want to run the memory synchronously. For a 1066 bus, that means DDR2-533, and in dual-channel for matched bandwidth.

If on the other hand you got a CPU with 533 native bus such as a 3.46, you could shoot for a 1200 bus and DDR2-600 frequency while remaining synchronous.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because the memory controller operates more efficiently at a synchronous clock rate. You'll have to look at some articles to see proof of this.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
. So, here's where I need some help. Could someone kind of run through exactly what I’ll need to do in the BIOS to achieve what I listed above?
Everything is set up totaly different than what you have seen in the past. Most things are in different places, and without you haveing the board in front of you it would be a waste of time to try and explain it.

I've only had a little experience overclocking in the past, and none on a LGA775
You just dont get it. Some of us have been trying to convince you that you need to do alot more research before you start asking these sort of questions. The people here dont mind helping, but I doubt very seriously if anybody is going to walk you all the way through every step. You at least need to get the basics down first.

It needn't be super detailed
You say that you havent had much overclocking experience and that you have none on the 775. This stuff is somewhat detailed and most of the guys here wouldnt touch one of these systems to start with. So what it comes down to is you getting lucky enough to find someone that has one of these systems and doesnt mind spending time helping you or either you would have to really get lucky enough to find someone that would just look all the info up for you. I did my best in your last post to give you some insight because im sitting in front of one right now. You dont listen unless its what you want to hear. Maybe someone else will put up with that kind of attitude but ive had all I can take. Hey, I hope it works out for you. I really do. With the attitude that you have going into this though, im almost certain that your in for a tough time. That heat issue that you say you have under control, well im glad you do but for someone who doesnt have muck experience overclocking you must have a magic cooling system or something. You have no idea how hot this thing can get.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
mozzartusm GO AWAY. I don't want any more of your "input". You're wasting my time trying to start more arguments, so please, if you see i've made a post, DON'T EVEN BOTHER LOOKING AT IT. I'm tired of you trying to start shyt with me, jesus christ, let it alone man, and LEAVE ME ALONE!

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Hi, I'm not mozzartum. Anyway, there are dozens of guides out there that will go through it step by step for you and mozzartum has a point--nobody here is going to walk you through every damn step, you need to have at least the basic skills and knowledge (and the system) to do it and do it well.

Let's just say we're here to help but we won't go as far as wiping your arse for ya...okay?

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
i don't want you to wipe my A$$, i just want a link or two to some good guides, i didn't know that was a capital offense... sheesh

And any point mozzarwhatshisass may be trying to make (and i use that phrase with sceptesism) is completely overshadowed by the fact that he's just trying to start shyt with me again like he did in the other forum, he appearantly doesn't know when to leave things be.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You should realize that most people here would just google it and then give the link to you--why don't you just save a step and find it yourself? I really doubt any of us have a bookmark for one, let alone know in our heads where one is.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Start <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/antireligionclub3/" target="_new">here</A> for the basics. You're going to be stuck with stock cooling and try it first at stock Vcore. Raise the FSB slowly about 6 mhz at a time. Check for stability. Keep your CPU ratio to 1:1. You're not giving it too much of a clock so you should get there. Watch temps REAL close.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
craig, what did you mean by "You're going to be stuck with stock cooling and try it first at stock Vcore", specifically the stock cooling part?

Maybe my initial post was misleading, i'm tossing the stock heatsink and fan, and using the Zalman CNPS7700, was that what you were reffering too?

Thanks for the post, i'll go check out the link

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Did you read the whole post or did you only catch the few lines that didnt agree with you? I will go away dont worry about that. There are plenty of people here with alot more experience and knowledge than me, but its not going to be easy to find someone that has the setup you are looking at. If you would pay attention to some of the things in my replys, you may see that I was also trying to give you some advise on how to get more responses from the big dogs. Oh, and since you have decided to be an A-hole I wont wish you good luck like I did in my last reply. "I bet you didnt catch that part. That temper of yours will probably lead to high blood pressure among other things. No need to blow a gasket over a computer.

wwswimming

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
real nice new system you've got there. i'm running on an asus p4c800e right now ... i don't feel like going into the BIOS.

suggestion ... just start overclocking. 5%, 6%, etc., up to 10%. keep an eye on the heat (you can touch the "business" part of the heat sink without A. shorting anything on the motherboard or B. losing a finger in the bodacious fan, yes ?)

for starters, when you're overclocking ... don't go away and leave it to over-heat. stay nearby till you've found the "knee in the curve", the combination of frequency and voltage that makes it get HOT.

be eager to see what results you get. Nice system ! what case you putting it in, also what power supply ?

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Everyone loves grave diggers...especially the n00bs that do it. Oh yeah, people also love being the wrong person responded to.

IMO, this was something that could and should have been put into a PM, the rest of us are pretty much sick of this thread. Also, your tips on how to OC aren't that accurate, as his processor will never go over 80C, no matter what he does--I'd use a program called throttlewatch to OC a Scotty and nothing else.

Maybe you can answer this, as I can't find an answer in my research and everyone else I ask this question either gives a st00pid answer or no answer at all: Why do you (and other people) like Prescott Pentium 4s???

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
By any chance do you have a socket 775? The reason that I ask is becasue I have the same setup as this guy and I can tell you that you can throw away some of the previous Ocing methods. Not all of them, but some. The main bottleneck issue is to do with the PCIexpress frequency that has to be manipulated in order to get past 10% and a high FSB.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

TRENDING THREADS