[gta:sa] storm drains

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

has anyone done an in-depth study of the storm drains in los santos? i
have and they're quite handy!

the only time i've ever bothered with them before was to get the armour
and tec 9 or when i had to go into them... "just business", for example.

the best bits in my opinion are:

armour
tec-9
police bribe
a ramp up to a pay and spray
an exit near to the tallest building... handy for the parachute.

they're a good way of getting quickly and safely to two of your safe
houses and getting to the centre of los santos.

i haven't seen an faq for this subject and thought i might make one...
here's a map i've made:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/drains.jpg

as you can see, it's not finished... there's some more icons and a bit of
text to go on there.

do you reckon anyone will be interested?

I am. I didn't even know there were storm drains in SA. Can't talk,
must go play SA!

bryan wrote:

> has anyone done an in-depth study of the storm drains in los santos? i
> have and they're quite handy!
>
> the only time i've ever bothered with them before was to get the armour
> and tec 9 or when i had to go into them... "just business", for example.
>
> the best bits in my opinion are:
>
> armour
> tec-9
> police bribe
> a ramp up to a pay and spray
> an exit near to the tallest building... handy for the parachute.
>
> they're a good way of getting quickly and safely to two of your safe
> houses and getting to the centre of los santos.
>
> i haven't seen an faq for this subject and thought i might make one...
> here's a map i've made:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/drains.jpg
>
> as you can see, it's not finished... there's some more icons and a bit of
> text to go on there.
>
> do you reckon anyone will be interested?

quite possibly, though apart from finding things I don't use maps
much. I have started using the storm drains as an escape when I have a
few stars, in the knowledge I'll probably just have to fight my way
through the back of the houses behind CJ's house.
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

Tim

The storm drains in LS are not hard to find your way around in. But they
are handy for ditching the cops, easy to get around them in there.

Another detail to include:

If you go throught the tunnel at the north-east (opposite the star) and
keep turning right into the car park, there's an NRG-500 stunt bike on
the first floor, and another on the roof if that one doesn't spawn.
Best bike, in my opinion, a close win over the even more elusive
BPF-800.

Phil Hibbs.

O. I have been in these things before. I was thinking of something
more akin to a sewage system, or at least a tunnel. Half of the drains
are in open air. Anyway, didn't know about the goodies at the east
end, though. Thanks, guys.

In message <4230BA29.BE5E05F7@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> quite possibly, though apart from finding things I don't use maps
> much. I have started using the storm drains as an escape when I have a
> few stars, in the knowledge I'll probably just have to fight my way
> through the back of the houses behind CJ's house.

I first investigated the storm drains whilst tag hunting. There are
tonnes of places you wouldn't normally go to in the storyline which are
there to explore, the sewage processing plant at the end of the drains
near the docks is quite interesting as it's got quite a complicated
layout.

I wonder if R* originally intended for these drains and other detailed
areas to be of more use?

Cheers,
Rob

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> In message <4230BA29.BE5E05F7@blueyonder.co.uk>
>
> I first investigated the storm drains whilst tag hunting. There are
> tonnes of places you wouldn't normally go to in the storyline which are
> there to explore, the sewage processing plant at the end of the drains
> near the docks is quite interesting as it's got quite a complicated
> layout.

I've always been fascinated by the big grating at the right-angle turn in
the ditch. You can see through it -- even start fires on the other side
with Molotovs and rockets -- but you can't blast it open. I let loose a
World War on it (rockets, Molotovs, tank cannon-blast), hoping it just had a
really high damage-coefficient and would finally collapse and let me explore
the other side. No such luck. It's as indestructable as any normal
building wall. Sure is fascinating, though. The tunnel appears to travel
quite far beyond it.

Hmm. I'll have to see if there's some way in from the Underworld.
Doubtful, but it'll be fun to look.

--cleve

"Cleve" <cleve@cox.net> wrote in message

> I've always been fascinated by the big grating at the right-angle turn in
> the ditch. You can see through it -- even start fires on the other side
> with Molotovs and rockets -- but you can't blast it open. I let loose a
> World War on it (rockets, Molotovs, tank cannon-blast), hoping it just had
> a really high damage-coefficient and would finally collapse and let me
> explore the other side. No such luck. It's as indestructable as any
> normal building wall. Sure is fascinating, though. The tunnel appears to
> travel quite far beyond it.
>
> Hmm. I'll have to see if there's some way in from the Underworld.
> Doubtful, but it'll be fun to look.

Wow! There IS.

The far end of the tunnel is insubstantial (and only visible from one side).
Just mark the grating on the map (at that right angle turn in the ditch),
take the jet pack into the Underworld (any one of many entrances), fly to
the marker, follow the tunnel beyond the grating to the end, and pass
through the wall at the end of it.

Nothing too cool inside, unfortunately, but you CAN get there and stand on
the back side of the grating. That's kinda cool, in itself.

--cleve

Rob White wrote:

> In message <4230BA29.BE5E05F7@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > quite possibly, though apart from finding things I don't use maps
> > much. I have started using the storm drains as an escape when I have a
> > few stars, in the knowledge I'll probably just have to fight my way
> > through the back of the houses behind CJ's house.
>
> I first investigated the storm drains whilst tag hunting. There are
> tonnes of places you wouldn't normally go to in the storyline which are
> there to explore, the sewage processing plant at the end of the drains
> near the docks is quite interesting as it's got quite a complicated
> layout.
>
> I wonder if R* originally intended for these drains and other detailed
> areas to be of more use?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

they do look mission based. Of course there is that huge driving and
shooting level which is basically set in them and uses that tunnel as
an escape at the end, but generally they are puzzling when you first
find them and useful after you get the layout
--

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 02:11:18 -0800, snarks wrote:

> Another detail to include:
>
> If you go throught the tunnel at the north-east (opposite the star) and
> keep turning right into the car park, there's an NRG-500 stunt bike on the
> first floor, and another on the roof if that one doesn't spawn. Best bike,
> in my opinion, a close win over the even more elusive BPF-800.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

cheers, phil... i'll create the little icons and stick 'em on the map!

(there's also a tec-9 and grenades in there :)

bryan wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 02:11:18 -0800, snarks wrote:
>
> > Another detail to include:
> >
> > If you go throught the tunnel at the north-east (opposite the star) and
> > keep turning right into the car park, there's an NRG-500 stunt bike on the
> > first floor, and another on the roof if that one doesn't spawn. Best bike,
> > in my opinion, a close win over the even more elusive BPF-800.
> >
> > Phil Hibbs.
>
> cheers, phil... i'll create the little icons and stick 'em on the map!
>
> (there's also a tec-9 and grenades in there :)

so where does the 800 spawn? I don't think I've ever had one
--

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:19:29 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

> From: Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:19:29 GMT
>
> bryan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 02:11:18 -0800, snarks wrote:
>>
>> > Another detail to include:
>> >
>> > If you go throught the tunnel at the north-east (opposite the star)
>> > and keep turning right into the car park, there's an NRG-500 stunt
>> > bike on the first floor, and another on the roof if that one doesn't
>> > spawn. Best bike, in my opinion, a close win over the even more
>> > elusive BPF-800.
>> >
>> > Phil Hibbs.
>>
>> cheers, phil... i'll create the little icons and stick 'em on the map!
>>
>> (there's also a tec-9 and grenades in there :)
>
> so where does the 800 spawn? I don't think I've ever had one

sorry to mislead you, paul... they're nrg-500s.

bryan wrote:
> has anyone done an in-depth study of the storm drains in los santos? i
> have and they're quite handy!
>
> the only time i've ever bothered with them before was to get the armour
> and tec 9 or when i had to go into them... "just business", for example.
>
> the best bits in my opinion are:
>
> armour
> tec-9
> police bribe
> a ramp up to a pay and spray
> an exit near to the tallest building... handy for the parachute.
>
> they're a good way of getting quickly and safely to two of your safe
> houses and getting to the centre of los santos.
>
> i haven't seen an faq for this subject and thought i might make one...
> here's a map i've made:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.stevens1/gtasa/drains.jpg
>
> as you can see, it's not finished... there's some more icons and a bit of
> text to go on there.
>
> do you reckon anyone will be interested?

I would have loved to have seen an underground sewerage system that you
could go and explore. Maybe meet the mythical sewer alligators. ;-) Or
an underground cave labrynth or something like that.

--
_ __ _ _ _ _ _
| |/ / (_) | | | | | | |

Razor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

"bryan" <bryan@rimmer.red-dwarf.lan> wrote in message
> has anyone done an in-depth study of the storm drains in los santos? i
> have and they're quite handy!

Em, they're great for luring police to their watery deaths at the docks?

I don't think the BPF-800 spawns anywhere except for underneath someone
riding one. I've seen them in western LS and around Chinatown in SF,
but never in LV.

Probably best to drive around those areas in a muscle car, as it tends
to spawn similar vehicles to the one you're in (ride a PCJ-600 to find
the ZX sports car, for example). Once you've got one, ride it around
until you find another, nick it, garage it, then run back for the
original, so you have a spare.

Phil Hibbs.

snarks@gmail.com schrieb:
> Another detail to include:
>
> If you go throught the tunnel at the north-east (opposite the star) and
> keep turning right into the car park, there's an NRG-500 stunt bike on
> the first floor, and another on the roof if that one doesn't spawn.
> Best bike, in my opinion, a close win over the even more elusive
> BPF-800.

What is a BPF-800? Is this supposed to be a bike or what?
I've not yet encountered a vehicle by that name and it's not
listed in any of the car lists at gamefaqs.com...

CU, Venty

snarks@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't think the BPF-800 spawns anywhere except for underneath someone
> riding one. I've seen them in western LS and around Chinatown in SF,
> but never in LV.
>
> Probably best to drive around those areas in a muscle car, as it tends
> to spawn similar vehicles to the one you're in (ride a PCJ-600 to find
> the ZX sports car, for example). Once you've got one, ride it around
> until you find another, nick it, garage it, then run back for the
> original, so you have a spare.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

cheers, I'll take a look
--

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:48:19 +0100, Martin Ebnoether wrote:

> snarks@gmail.com schrieb:
>> Another detail to include:
>>
>> If you go throught the tunnel at the north-east (opposite the star) and
>> keep turning right into the car park, there's an NRG-500 stunt bike on
>> the first floor, and another on the roof if that one doesn't spawn. Best
>> bike, in my opinion, a close win over the even more elusive BPF-800.
>
> What is a BPF-800?

something along the lines of "bigfoot"?

It's a very powerful bike. I'll try and get a shot of one. If you ever
see a bike that looks a bit like a PCJ but has a much lower-pitch,
growling engine sound, that's a BPF-800.

Phil Hibbs.

bryan schrieb:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:48:19 +0100, Martin Ebnoether wrote:
>

>>snarks@gmail.com schrieb:
>>
>>>Another detail to include:
>>>
>>>If you go throught the tunnel at the north-east (opposite the star) and
>>>keep turning right into the car park, there's an NRG-500 stunt bike on
>>>the first floor, and another on the roof if that one doesn't spawn. Best
>>>bike, in my opinion, a close win over the even more elusive BPF-800.
>>
>>What is a BPF-800?
>

> something along the lines of "bigfoot"?

Ah, a flying saucer then. =:)

CU, Venty

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:50:31 +0100, Martin Ebnoether wrote:

>>>What is a BPF-800?
>>

>> something along the lines of "bigfoot"?
>
> Ah, a flying saucer then. =:)

you'll notice that the flying saucer doesn't turn up in any vehicle
database either :)

In message <4235c051$0$1157$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>
Martin Ebnoether <martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:

> What is a BPF-800? Is this supposed to be a bike or what?
> I've not yet encountered a vehicle by that name and it's not
> listed in any of the car lists at gamefaqs.com...

HPV-100
FCR-900
BF-400
PJC-600

Any other's I've missed?

Cheers,
Rob

In message <4236afe7$0$1161$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>
Martin Ebnoether <martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:

> > something along the lines of "bigfoot"?
>
> Ah, a flying saucer then. =:)

You mean Leatherface, in a wheelchair?

;o)

Rob

Cyrus

In article <ee9d304c4d.Rob@aqus02.dsl.pipex.com>,
Rob White <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In message <4235c051$0$1157$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>
> Martin Ebnoether <martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:
>
> > What is a BPF-800? Is this supposed to be a bike or what?
> > I've not yet encountered a vehicle by that name and it's not
> > listed in any of the car lists at gamefaqs.com...
>
> HPV-100
> FCR-900
> BF-400