Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim stuttering/flickering lag on AMD 7950

Last response: in Video Games
March 1, 2013 6:08:34 AM

Alright, I know the web is full of all these skyrim lag problems and I've spent a good couple hours searching out possible solutions for what I've been experiencing to no avail. That leads me here.
I just finished my first gaming build a couple months ago and spent a pretty penny on some powerful hardware.
Specs:
Intel core i7-3770k @3.5 - 3.8ghz w/turboboost
AMD Radeon HD 7950
16gb Corsair Vengeance
256 Samsung 830 Series SSD
Biostar TZ77XE4 MOBO
XFX 850w PSU, Coolermaster case etc..
oh also running @1080p on a 24" monitor

So about a week ago I finally picked up Skyrim. I was pretty damn excited because I had played it on 360 and was now ready for some nice eye candy. Installed it and the high res texture pack from Steam, it detected my hardware and recommended ultra settings. I said hell yeah and began playing. Right off the bat I noticed it wasn't quite as buttery smooth as I had been hoping. Monitoring my frame rates and even frame time, for those of you familiar with the new frame time debacle with AMD cards, it never dropped below about 55fps even in the most strenuous situations. Which seemed to make sense because I never really experience any major lag or choppiness. The problems I've been having are what I would describe as a stuttering and also a flicker of sorts when I look around. Not so much a major lag but just not nearly as smooth as I know it can be. The stuttering mainly takes place when I'm indoors or in towns and the flickering just happens everywhere. To better describe the flickering it only happens when I look around or take a step forward when I'm standing still, the textures and lighting give off a little flicker. Its kind of hard to explain and its not a continuous thing, it seems to stop once I start running. This isn't a huge issue just something that annoys me and any suggestions or info that can be offered is appreciated.

The biggest problem is the stuttering when I'm looking around in a town, cave, indoors etc. The thing that gets me is my frame rates never drop when this happens. It will stay at a solid 60fps but when I move and look around there is a pretty noticeable stutter. I've tried just about every remedy I can find online to improve lag and increase smooth game play but nothing seems to work. I have turned off vsync in skyrim.prefs (ipresentinterval=0) disabled the gamepad, turned off the mouse acceleration and even reverted to controlling AA and MSAA through catalyst control center, then just turned off the AA and MSAA completely without any of this offering substantial relief. I'm now just a little lost, from what I know my rig should eat this game for breakfast more or less and I'm always at a pretty solid 60fps so why is this happening?? If there is anyone out there with some suggestions, I need help. Or is it just Skyrim itself? I know the games been notorious for bugs and lagging, but I have all the latest patches and drivers for the game and my card and don't know what else to try.

March 1, 2013 11:53:00 AM

Do you have this problem with any other GPU demanding games?
m
l
March 1, 2013 11:58:00 AM

Yo man, try downloading the new 13.2 beta driver from amd, it sorts out a LOT of frame time issues etc, which may be causing yur choppyness (XFX 7950 DD here)
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2013 12:25:22 PM

Hi,

I've had problems like this with my 7970 with other games. BY default V-Sync is turned off in the settings of the game, I turned this on and the stuttering went away.

I'm still using the 13.1 driver, not upgraded to the beta one yet.

Hope this helps.

Nick
m
l
March 1, 2013 12:29:23 PM

Yeah. Vsync always helped me get rid of the stuttering when I had AMD cards.
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:03:49 AM

ubercake said:
Do you have this problem with any other GPU demanding games?

The only other game I've seemed to have any lag out of is Far Cry 3, definitely a gpu heavy game. Which from what I had read online I originally put off as an AMD driver issue. But now with this I'm beginning to think there may be some type of hardware problem.
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:07:27 AM

godlyhank said:
Yo man, try downloading the new 13.2 beta driver from amd, it sorts out a LOT of frame time issues etc, which may be causing yur choppyness (XFX 7950 DD here)

That's what I've heard just haven't gotten around to downloading it yet. I'm gonna try it tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the reminder I almost forgot the beta has been out for a while now.
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:13:52 AM

Nickolie said:
Hi,

I've had problems like this with my 7970 with other games. BY default V-Sync is turned off in the settings of the game, I turned this on and the stuttering went away.

I'm still using the 13.1 driver, not upgraded to the beta one yet.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Good point I just realized that when I originally went to disable vsync, it already was. Never thought to turn it back on after all the problems I've read about. Thanks, I'm gonna try this along with the 13.2 beta update and hope for the best.
m
l
March 2, 2013 6:39:30 AM

OPATdlee said:
Good point I just realized that when I originally went to disable vsync, it already was. Never thought to turn it back on after all the problems I've read about. Thanks, I'm gonna try this along with the 13.2 beta update and hope for the best.

Good luck mate, hope it fixes your issues :) 
m
l
!