Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Lenovo Shows Off Its Razor-thin Thinkpad X1

Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 10:25:45 AM

I love the well researched, thought out and respectful comments here at toms.
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 10:36:23 AM

Still ugly. Lenovo books may have great specs, but their design is still so 90's.
Related resources
May 12, 2011 10:38:50 AM

jasman43Still ugly. Lenovo books may have great specs, but their design is still so 90's.

^
I agree 100%, they need more modern designs, they always stick to the same one, the college-owned laptops are Lenovo and like 6 years old, same layout.
May 12, 2011 10:48:32 AM

jasman43Still ugly. Lenovo books may have great specs, but their design is still so 90's.

They make business grade laptops...
May 12, 2011 10:49:27 AM

I think it looks macho and tough. Just saying.

Take in the face Apple.
May 12, 2011 10:51:31 AM

joytech22^I agree 100%, they need more modern designs, they always stick to the same one, the college-owned laptops are Lenovo and like 6 years old, same layout.

Lenovo X and T series laptops (and also some Dells, E series) are the only ones I can look at. Love the design, always have. Not all people want shiny surfaces, lots of leds and some "really innovative" design.
May 12, 2011 10:53:16 AM

This laptop is not meant to look good to make home users eye happy, who dont care about internals and toughness . This laptop is made to be light , tough as hell , reliable and fast. And by the way , it looks still nice.
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 10:58:00 AM

beauty...

this must cost a bomb
May 12, 2011 11:00:13 AM

razor thin huh....
can we slit steve job's throat with it?
May 12, 2011 11:27:01 AM

izajaszThis laptop is not meant to look good to make home users eye happy, who dont care about internals and toughness . This laptop is made to be light , tough as hell , reliable and fast. And by the way , it looks still nice.

Agreed, Lenovo are predominanty aimed at business users and its a seriously big market with deep pockets.
May 12, 2011 11:29:18 AM

I've got to say, I actually love the look of Lenovo laptops. I don't know why.
May 12, 2011 11:31:11 AM

Oh yeah, and I'd like to know the cost. I need a new laptop, so If it's cheap, like sub 600, I'd get one.
May 12, 2011 11:49:31 AM

god damn it, i want an edit button...on this site...not the forum
May 12, 2011 12:47:39 PM

As opposed to what, a shiny pink one that breaks if you close the lid too hard.
May 12, 2011 12:59:55 PM

foukerbeauty...this must cost a bomb

Don't worry, it's not an Apple product so you won't be paying 2k+ for it.
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 1:48:34 PM

To the ones complaining that the Thinkpad X1 looks old,it's a tool not a toy.It's made to go through hell and back without breaking down.
It also won't be cheap,try digging around some more on the net you'll find that this beauty will cost a lot,IIRC even more than a Macbook Air.
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 1:53:09 PM

This makes much more sense to a business person to use then a Macbook Air. Its not really very hard to out spec Apple on any product and beat them on price and features. Its very much like Mercedes, people used to buy a Mercedes because of that Star on the hood. But their has always been better choices.
May 12, 2011 1:59:06 PM

They are made to last not to impress only people from the business department who have relied on them can appreciate the beauty of it, everyone else can't see past the aspect.
joytech22^I agree 100%, they need more modern designs, they always stick to the same one, the college-owned laptops are Lenovo and like 6 years old, same layout.

And how will that exactly improve productivity, cause in businesses no one gets payed for looking good.

Even the disk based HDD models have a driver and a movement sensor that parks the HDD heads in a fraction of a second as the laptop moves trough the air basically having the heads packed on impact.
foukerbeauty...this must cost a bomb

Yip pretty much all business edditions start at 1000$ onward.
wcnighthawkDon't worry, it's not an Apple product so you won't be paying 2k+ for it.

Yes they do and even more for the W series. This is serious stuff apple is for home users this is for Actual Work.
May 12, 2011 2:03:39 PM

I've personally been using several models, T500, T510, T60, T61, X200, X201. Nothing beats them in reliability, battery life, and general toughness.
Unless you show me a laptop that you can kick trough the air into a wall as hard as you can, then pick it up dust it off and continue working as if nothing happened.
All business class laptops are coated with a black non-shiny rubbery surface so they don't slip from you're sweaty hands regardless how you hold them.
May 12, 2011 2:13:00 PM

people are complaining about its style?

really?

you all must own a mac because they do make pretty cases.
May 12, 2011 2:23:55 PM

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put THINKPAD on the bottom right of the inside AND the outside should be shot

twice
May 12, 2011 2:47:19 PM

This thin Thinkpad X1 should be a suitable cheaper alternative for Mac Book Air, if Mac OS x isn’t needed. But still hope it can be Hachintoshed.
May 12, 2011 2:49:58 PM

Tough! Wow!
May 12, 2011 2:52:51 PM

WOW! But does it not scratch??? Get a new woman if you like your things, as paying a premium for something sweet only to have it scratched is NOT a match made in Heaven...
May 12, 2011 3:22:45 PM

wcnighthawkDon't worry, it's not an Apple product so you won't be paying 2k+ for it.

The old Lenovo X301 was 2k+. I doubt the X1 is going to be significantly cheaper.
It's definitely going to be more than $1300. (MacBook Air)
May 12, 2011 3:53:19 PM

How could it deliver a knockout punch to the MacBook Air? They run different operating systems? One cannot be substituted for another? I think the priority between begin factual and exciting should be facts.
May 12, 2011 4:49:17 PM

cheesiest ad ever!!!!!!!
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 5:18:50 PM

looks outstanding

simple clean and no garish logo broadcasting the apple beacon to jobs secret lair
May 12, 2011 5:21:19 PM

AD sucks... After what the girl did, I would switch from the wedding ring to a moving service... but its NOT a TV AD, its an industrial video.

- The X120, starts at $400, the X220 is starts at $800, these are as thin as the MB-Air - but have 11~13" screens.

The X1 here looks like a cross between the X220 (power) and ThinkPad Edge (keyboard) with a X120 Thinness and body style. So yeah, a $1100~1400 - depending on configuration should be expected.

I think there is nothing wrong with the look of ThinkPads. They DON'T look like all the other consumer notebooks. You're paying for the excellent keyboards, ridged bodies and screens and no crap-ware installed. ThinkPad makes the L and Edge series that are modern looking. I'll take the old-style curved-keys thank you. Also, many of us DON'T WANT glossy displays and bodies.

Actually, I happened to do a flex test on Hpaq, Acer and Dell $300~800 computers and man, the plastic is so soft... the notebook bodies themselves are so bendable.

With MacBooks and your typical Dells - spilling drinks and dropping them on the floor would kill them. On another Lenovo Video, they've tossed on out of a truck - then ran over it with same 8000+Lb truck... which broke the screen - but the computer itself did power up.

The backlit keys are nice... beats old-style LED bulb shining on the keyboard (which I use) - I *WISH* they could backlit their standard keyboards.
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 5:44:22 PM

about the video, I think the dude is watching pron. He just have the picture of the ring in the background as a contingency plan.
May 12, 2011 5:51:56 PM

x3styleEven the disk based HDD models have a driver and a movement sensor that parks the HDD heads in a fraction of a second as the laptop moves trough the air basically having the heads packed on impact.

In theory, you're correct. In real life, you're wrong. You hit a laptop like that and chances are that you end with a dead hard disk, no matter how advanced that shock sensor is. Maybe a Panasonic Thoughbook or something is rugged enough, but this one, i really don't think so.
Anonymous
May 12, 2011 6:11:32 PM

Most Lenovo laptops (not sure on this one, since it's so small), are actually made to the same spec as the tough books, with hte exception of water submersion, interestingly enough, so they are just about as tough.

I've dropped my T series while running a couple of times now, once from about 5 feet on concrete, and besides a little scratch on the screen, it's fine.

You'd be crazy not to use the DDS anyways though.
May 12, 2011 6:34:28 PM

I like aesthetic ThinkPad's have, kind of low key, minimalist and professional rather than being part of the herd of iHipsterdouches.
May 12, 2011 8:43:39 PM

back_by_demandAgreed, Lenovo are predominanty aimed at business users and its a seriously big market with deep pockets.

LOL
May 12, 2011 9:07:24 PM

citation]jrfcIn theory, you're correct. In real life, you're wrong. You hit a laptop like that and chances are that you end with a dead hard disk, no matter how advanced that shock sensor is. Maybe a Panasonic Thoughbook or something is rugged enough, but this one, i really don't think so.[/citation]

My sister trip on the laptop cord which pull the laptop and trash it on the wall pretty hard, then fell down from 2" high. Her Lenovo still works like a charm.
May 12, 2011 11:15:49 PM

TakeshiKudocitation]

My sister trip on the laptop cord which pull the laptop and trash it on the wall pretty hard, then fell down from 2" high. Her Lenovo still works like a charm.[/citation]

Nice to know that your sister's hard drive survived.

I'll stick to the same: regardless the anti-shock system they employ, a regular hard drive usually gets DAMAGED when you hit them that hard. It all depend on how they hit the ground, one thing you can't predict. I'm talking about chances, not every single situation.
May 13, 2011 12:02:29 AM

jrfcIn theory, you're correct. In real life, you're wrong. You hit a laptop like that and chances are that you end with a dead hard disk, no matter how advanced that shock sensor is. Maybe a Panasonic Thoughbook or something is rugged enough, but this one, i really don't think so.

Actually, in the Swedish computer magazine "PC För Alla" they actually gave a bunch of laptops absolute hell by baking them in the oven, freezing them, throwing them off buildings, jumping on them, hanging weights from their ports and finishing it off with a shower.

The only two who made it through was one Panasonic ToughBook and, guess what, a Lenovo ThinkPad T60. Don't try telling me they're not comparable.
May 13, 2011 1:17:33 AM

Given a choice between this and the Air, I'd take this in a heartbeat. It has a keyboard that can actually be called a keyboard, and it can actually do work (unlike Apple PCs).

That's enough for me.
May 13, 2011 2:03:49 AM

djhg2000
Actually, in the Swedish computer magazine "PC För Alla" they actually gave a bunch of laptops absolute hell by baking them in the oven, freezing them, throwing them off buildings, jumping on them, hanging weights from their ports and finishing it off with a shower.The only two who made it through was one Panasonic ToughBook and, guess what, a Lenovo ThinkPad T60. Don't try telling me they're not comparable.

whatever man...

and no, they're NOT comparable.

May 13, 2011 4:34:47 AM

Still looks ugly...........never enjoyed working on those. Although have good specs and works gr8 but looks hell old.
May 13, 2011 6:29:32 AM

The thing about Panasonic ToughBook, like ThinkPads. Not ALL Toughbooks are the same. They have both business class, which are like ThinkPads and Industrial Class which Lenovo or IBM never made. IE: Industrial laptops are HUGE, made to work in very harsh environments - such as boats, tanks, dusty warehouses with rubber keys, etc.

These beasts such as the Toughbook 19 & 31 can upwards of 3" thick and costs $4000~7000! Their more "business" models that are 1.5~2" thick are in the $2000~3500 and are about 7+lbs.

Thinkpads are excellent for business and don't usually costs $3000~6000. They are far more affordable at $800~1600 for most configs and are about 3~5lbs.

JRFC is correct, they are NOT comparable to ThinkPads. But they are also NOT in the same market either. Toughbooks are bought with the expectation of being being dropped, thrown, stepped on, getting treated like garbage.

ThinkPads are better for business people, professionals, student and even still, for home users. Where accidents may happen and the notebook WILL survive. They are not flashy, but I think THEY do look great. Opposite of Macbooks, HP and other glossy junk.

Trust me.. I think many of us have seen notebooks die from spilling of drinks, power connector wears out (HP) and lack of serious functions or features.

Most of us will NEVER want to buy a Toughbook... they are the HUMMER of notebooks :) 

Sudeshc : Eyes of the beholder. Some Thinkpads look better than others. Some even come in RED. They have their IdeaPad line which is more mainstream that look quite nice with pretty much NONE of the feature sets of ThinkPads, but are generally better built than HP... the Lenovo G-Series is as crappy as any other $300~400 notebook. G=Garbage I guess.

I walked by the PCs at Walmart... HP isn't EVEN trying anymore. They have both Compaq and HP branded notebooks side by side, and the chassis/keyboard/etc were exactly the same! On the logos were different. Why bother with the Compaq brand?
May 29, 2011 3:41:35 PM

The only thin part on this laptop is the very tip.
!