Liquid Cooling Temps!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If some of you could post your idle and load temps I would appreciate it. I would like to get an idea of what the range of temps for different liquid cooling systems on various setups tend to be.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
My athlon system w/ outdoor radiator averaged about 15-20C when idle and under load. That is the temp it is outside most of the time where I live so it couldn't really get colder than that. And the volume of water/size of radiator in my system kept it at that temp so well it didn't change even when running prime95 or other stress software. I even got the same temps on my northbridge when idle, it went up a degree C or two when under load though.

My current P4 machine w/ fully internal liquid cooling idles at around 25-30C depending on how warm my room is. If I leave my window open at night it gets VERY cold and sometimes drops to around 20C. I usually top out at around 30-40C under load. That is also dependant on how hot/cold my room is. Again, My cooling systems have so much water in them and have such large radiators they usually stay fairly close to the current environmental conditions. The chipset in this machine gets about 5C warmer than my CPU when idle and under load logically due to it being a series system so it gets all the warm water off the CPU.

You can see pics of my setups if you go to my sig's link.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

ok :frown: .

Im using a Danger Den RBX Athlon 64 block on my XP until I upgrade - My AXP is @ 3200+ @ 1.73 VCore right now (full load on SETI) I'm getting 40c.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG?!

WC Components:
A64 RBX (using no 5 hole thingy)
Hydor L30 Pump
Criticool Water Plant 4" Rez
120*1 RAd.

Only explantion I can think of is that because the 4" rez is really small, alot of air circulates round the loop...thus crap cooling.

It's still better than my old air cooling which I would probably be hitting 50c by now.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Air can and will have an effect on your temps. I have put in many hours on 3 different cooling projects lately. One of the cooling systems that I built has an aquarium pump that has an adjustable water flow and air flow. This means that you can adjust it so that it has no air bubbles to as many as you want. Using different flow rates and different air adjustments there is no doubt that air bubbles to any degree have a negative effect. Something to consider is increasing your resivior and buying a pump from a pet shop. You can get one for $20.00 - $40.00 dollars and the cheapest will be alot better than most of the ones that come with these cooling systems. I also bought a water purifier/cooler that holds up to 4 gallons of water. Its intended of course to be used for home water consumption, but at $59.00 you cant beat that price for a combined resivor and built in water chilling system. I have gotten my system as low as 10C under load. Over a 24 hour period, it doesnt get warmer than 22C. THis is cooling an Intel 3.4 775 CPU.

LMAO ive just has a really scary experiance. Ive noticed that as the temp of the water increases less bubbles circulate the loop. Lately I have been staying up all night (tuesday til 5am, wednesday til 4am, and thursday all night) doing coursework. The bubble noise was really annoying me by this time and so today I got a hairdryer and turned it on to the radiator.

The temps start increasing, 40,50,55,60 and the bubble noise became less and les apparent. I decided to see how high I could push the temps so I didn't stop until it reached 80c. By that time the rad was too hot to touch, my clearflex 1/2 tubes were extremly flexable and the pump was really hot too. I went down stairs to get some snap, only to return to see my temps hitting 99c, the pump shutting down and the system crashing.

I don't know is Hydor L30s have thermal protection but the pump refused to operate until the temps went back down an hour and a half later.

HAPPY DAYS!

I don't have a clue, although hot air rises and perhaps it was getting caught in the rez instead of cirulating in the loop?

Anyay, as a reward for my coursework completion I'm going to get that maze 4, and redesign my loop - which, hopefully will eliminate my problems.

**PICS ON THG ALBUM SOON TO FOLLOW**

I accept.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
That is a unique little experiment. This is my best guess at what happens to the bubbles. In a closed system such as the air conditioning system in a home, if you start adding freon to the system then you can bet there is a leak. They dont use rubber hose though. On these PC's, we use rubber hose or some similar variation. This type of hose is porus, and as heat is added to the equation the hose starts to expand thus becoming more porus. I think that the warm "Or in your case HOT" water forces the air bubbles out through something like evaporation.

Ive only owned one retail cooling system, but after getting the air bubbles out I didnt have anymore to enter back into the system. Now I have built my on system, and air bubbles are not an issue. My question is; Cant you get the air out of your system? Im asking becasue I would think that if air bubbles are a problem then it might mean that you have a air leak that needs some silicon.

It is the way my rez is set up. Water going in causes too much terbulance causing air to enter at the exit point.

I have no leaks in my system, that's definate.

lol, I can't get a drop more in. The way the pipes are set up they drain into the rez filling right up to the top when the pump is turned off.

I intend to sort out all these problems by tomorrow night.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
A 2 litre soft drink bottle would solve your problem.

I should have been clearer in what I was saying about the leaks. You probably dont have one, your explanation about the pressure makes sense. Just to clear my statement up, what I really meant was that you can have a leak in places like the water block "small crack between the plastic and the heatsink" that are so small that air could get in but water evaporates because of the heat. If this would have been the case, you would never see any liquid in the case.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
That place has some sort of magic grip. I was stuck down there for about 3 solid weeks. I finally managed to escape, but I doubt that I will ever be the same :eek:

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

I've been out for a while now. It doesn't look like I'm missing much either.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ive noticed that you have been up here in the productive section.

I dont know what it is about that OTHER place, but its addictive in some sick way.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
BTW, I had a weak moment this morning and ordered one of the new Thermaltake 680W PSU's. check out these specs- Output: +5V@50A, +3.3V@28A, +12V1@15A, +12V2@15A, +12V3@8A, -5V@1A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2A
50A on the +5V rail :cool: and it has 3 seperate +12V rails. It better churn out the juice, it only set me back $169.00 "OUCH"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
LOL! I have 2 P4 systems. That thing should power both of them. Im using it on the 3.4 775 setup. Its probably overkill. Im having a bit of buyers remorse. I'll be happy with it as long as it will hold those rails. It should for that much money!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Make that 2! I just dont mention the poor little 3.0E as often.

BTW, the 3.4 is in the process of going into an ASUS P5AD2-E premium with a couple of sticks of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-5300.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The description may be wrong, but it list the PSU as having 3 12V rails.
<A HREF="http:// Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W Power Supply, Model "W0049 RUD" -RETAIL " target="_new">http:// Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W Power Supply, Model "W0049 RUD" -RETAIL </A>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Im having a bit of buyers remorse
yeh I hate that, ah well it will def last you a VERY long time. Im thinking of getting a new graphics card at the mo...my current 9800pro works fine and yet I still want a better one! Damn computers, once you start to upgrade you cant stop.