Sign in with
Your question

water cooling dangerous?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 16, 2005 7:23:51 PM

Someone told me the other day that since distilled water is used in water cooling systems, it dosen't matter if it gets on your components: they will just get wet but no damage will occur.

Is this true? I mean, it sounds absurd..
January 16, 2005 7:37:02 PM

Technically true. But I wouldn't try it, as any liquid could mess up the electrical connections.

January 17, 2005 6:41:54 AM

Mineral oil will not hurt the capacitors at least in the short run. I have tried it myself. As for the distilled water, you are correct about the corrosion and/or oxidation. Distilled water is fine unless it gain properties from other components. So basically it would be fine at first, but not after it reacts with the metal of the heatsink.
Related resources
January 17, 2005 10:10:00 AM

Water is not a conductor, it is when ions get dissolved in water that it becomes a conductor.
January 17, 2005 6:02:43 PM

Do you have pics of that thing up anywhere yet mozzartusm?
I wanna see that thing :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
January 17, 2005 9:57:00 PM

No, I just got a digital cam a couple of days ago. If you could PM me that website that you told me about I will get some pics up. Can you put video clips in the website also?
January 17, 2005 10:04:45 PM

Well said! Another negative with distilled water is that from what I have been told, if the system isnt totally free of impurities "cleaned" the distilled water will rapidly build up its abiltiy to conduct electricity. Organisms will also begin to grow if something isnt added to it. I use distilled water myself, but I always put a touch of additive to it.
January 18, 2005 12:15:10 AM

As long as you do everything carefully and meticulously, water cooling is not dangerous. It's just as safe as air cooling. You just can't cut corners. And you need to plan ahead.
January 18, 2005 8:12:43 AM

Quote:
Holy crap! That's EXTREME!!!
You're da man!

Maybe for now, but I doubt that I will feel so good if I TOAST my cpu :eek: 
January 18, 2005 10:09:11 AM

what site? I need some webspace for my pics. Image shack is annoying.

January 18, 2005 9:13:48 PM

I thought that Folken was the one that had told me about a site, but I had him mixed up with someone else. In other words I dont know. Im setting up an old P550 as a server, Folken has a server that is similar to the one im putting toghether.
February 23, 2013 12:45:23 AM

distilled water is not conductive. the problem is that as soon as it makes contact with any conductive material it suspends ions from that material and becomes conductive. this includes metal. especially the metal solder and housings on all of your internal components.
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 1:40:27 AM

Jreb333 is correct as soon as you run the distilled water though your loop it becomes a possible conductor. That's why you leak test with everything unplugged except for the water pump, if it leaks there is no fear of harm to your components so long as you wait until it is 100% dry before you power up the entire system.
!