Sign in with
Your question

Help to OC the Duron

Last response: in Overclocking
January 17, 2005 9:45:16 PM

Hey everyone. I'm new and becoming obsessed with the idea of OCing CPUs and also interested in advanced cooling. I'm starting the learning process on a cruddy Duron 700, Asus A7S333, Corsair XMS 512 333 CL2. I did the pencil trick on the cpu to bump the voltage and close the L1's, but I can't raise the multiplier even a half or it won't post. I read on Anandtech that there is two sets of pins that need to be modified in order to OC: FID and BP_FID. I think the BIOS overrides the BP_FIDs of the CPU to set multiplier but leaves the FIDs alone. I tried disconnecting the FID pins from the bridge and soldered some wires to manually set the multiplier values sent to the bridge. I can get it to start at the default 700mhz, but I still can't raise it any. Can someone tell me what I have to do to get it to work? Also, I don't really care about how much I have to mutilate my parts to get it to work as long as they don't become paperweights. So if I have to solder and cut everything up, I'll do it. I'm gonna learn this!!

~Bruce

More about : duron

January 18, 2005 3:31:43 AM

I'm looking to max out this Duron. Not just raise the FSB. I plan on bringing the voltage up to 2v once I can change the multiplier. I just can't seem to raise the multiplier :( 

~Bruce
January 18, 2005 8:32:11 PM

I don't care about this chip. I have 3 athlons that I will work with later. The Duron 700 just happens to me my crappiest chip. I want to learn to OC it crazy style. I already almost melted it because I wanted to see if Asus COP did anything (Didn't). It hit 260F started smokin and I killed the power so it wouldn't blow. That's how little I care about this chip. I just want to get the most OC experience that I can get so I can OC my athlons. I have a 1Ghz, 1.1Ghz (both locked), and XP 2600+ unlocked mobile :)  (need a better board for it tho). Once I have the experience I need, I will max the 2600+ out completely and water cool if necessary (prolly).
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 18, 2005 9:33:20 PM

Make sure your L1 brides are really closed. Test them.

You don't really need to cut any bridges.

My mobo has multiplier adjustments but I was trying to help someone else with an old Duron, using pin mods alone. This is when I learned about needing to modify both sets of pins.

Using the wire-in-socket mod is the easiest mod and it's completely reversible. You can just connect all the BP_FID and FID pins to the appropriate places (Vcc or Vss). 8 wires in total. Make sure the connections mirror each other. If you encode 10X on BP_FID then you have to encode 10X on FID. You can cheat if some of the connections that are already made on the CPU bridges match what you want to do . Or set all the connections just to be thorough.

It's not hard.

Be warned. Some people were unable to effect voltage changes with the L7 bridge mods (me included). If that happens to you then you definitely have to mod the VID pins. If you are going that much trouble then you might as well take VCore right up to the max, 1.85 volt. It is safe for a Spitfire Duron.

One tip for wire in socket mods. It's easy to get disorientated. I used a marker pen to permanently indicate the BP_FID, FID, and VID pins right on my CPU socket. That way I never insert the wires in the wrong place.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>
January 19, 2005 8:59:10 PM

I know you have to do something to all those pins. I'm not exactly sure what to do though. Can you give me a link to a guide that will tell me how? The anandtech guide wasn't enough for me as it wasn't very clear.

~Bruce
January 19, 2005 10:27:06 PM

Unfortunately, I can't give you one link that will show you everything. The best site for this, John Carcich's site, has been down for almost a year.

There are plenty of Tbred/Barton/etc sites but not old school Tbird/Spitfire sites, which talk about doing the FID pins and the BP_FID pins.

Here's a couple sites that will help.

<A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html" target="_new">http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html&lt;/A> (English version, - Click "Workshop")

Look for the pinmod guide for XPs. It won't talk about the FID pins just the BP_FID pins. Actually it doesn't even label the pins either. It just uses a picture.

Important: Make sure you use the "Socket View" if you plan on doing the wire-in-socket mod.

Here is another good site

<A HREF="http://fab51.com/index_e.html" target="_new">FAB51.COM</A> (English version)

It will teach you every thing you need to know about the multiplier encoding. Tbirds/Spitfires are real easy. XPs (Palominos and up) have complicated, remapped multipliers which makes the encoding tricky to remember.

Basically the multipliers are encoded in binary. The bridges, BP_FID pins, and FID pins control multipliers 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 4x, and 8x. You don't have to worry about 8x with your Spitfire Duron.

The combination of 0.5x - 4X multipier bits give you a range of 0X thru 7.5x.

There is a 3X offset which means when you add up all the bits you then add 3X to the total.

This changes the range from 0X thru 7.5X to 3X thru 10.5X. This is exactly how multipliers were were code for old Duron laptops, although I dont't think were ever 300 Mhz or 350 Mhz Duron laptops released to the public.

For desktops the 4 lowest combinations were remapped to make to be useful for high speed (at the time) processors. If I recall (I can look it up later) 3X, 3.5x, 4X, and 4.5X were remapped to 11x, 11.5x, 12X, and 13X, respectively. I can't remember what bit combination remapped to 14X but the old Thunderbird 1400 (14X) was troublesome on a lot of motherboards of the day.

As for the pins. Get yourself a copy of the pin diagram from AMD's site. Make sure it's the "Top View". Marking the diagram with your own notes will really help.

Here is a quick pin/multiplier bit table.<pre>
Mult. BP_FID FID
Pin Pin

0.5X AN27 W1
1X AL27 W3
2X AN25 Y1
4X AL25 Y3
8X AJ27 no FID pin for 8X</pre><p>
Here's an example mod.

Let's say you want to encode a 9X multiplier (a good starting point for a Spitfire Duron).

- You are not using 11x thru 14X so you don't have to worry about a re-map.

- Now you subtract the 3X offset. This means you want to encode 6X, 9X (desired multiplier) - 3X (offset) = 6X.

- Set the bits as follows:

0.5X (LOW) + 1X (LOW) + 2X (HIGH) + 4X (HIGH) = 6X total multiplier

(correction: 6X now encoded instead of 5X. Sorry)

Remember that HIGH means logic HIGH, pin connected to Vcc (VCore). LOW means logic LOW, pin connected to Vss (Ground).

When you get the AMD Athlon pin diagram you will be able to see all the nearby locations for Vcc and Vss, relative to the BP_FID and FID pins.

When you move on to XPs you don't need to wire the FID pins, just the BP_FID pins. Well, perhaps you do with Palominos. (I can't remember).

That's my crash course. The site links have more detailed information.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 01/19/05 07:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!