Gateway 600 LCD problem.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Gateway 600 notebook which is still under warranty. I have been
having intermittent problems with the screen. The problem usually occurs
after the notebook has been running for several hours, when running 3-D
intense applications, or when running video to the LCD and to a projector or
external monitor at the same time. The screen will start `breaking-up`,
making the screen difficult to read. The problem becomes progressively worse
until the screen is nearly unreadable. Sometimes when the cooling fan comes
on, the problem will subside, then return when the fan turns off. Also, the
artifacts can be reduced by pressing on the case next to the right hinge.

I talked with a Gateway tech who told me to reinstall the video drivers
(which I did) to resolve the issue - that 'fix' obviously didn't work.

Later I argued with another gateway tech who after much discussion agreed
that the computer needed service. He told me that it HAD to be sent to
there service center even though I purchased 'on-site' service since they do
not know if the problem is with the screen, the cable, or the video card.

My question is: Has anyone else out there had this problem, and what was
done to remedy it? And, is their anything that I can do to force them to
actually come 'on-site' to fix it rather than sending out my computer for a
week or more waiting for them to repair it?

Thanks.

And, is their anything that I can do to force them to
> actually come 'on-site' to fix it rather than sending out my computer for
> week or more waiting for them to repair it?
>
> Thanks.

can't fix a laptop onsite

and as far as i knew gatway salespeople were told that you could not sell an
onsite service contract for a laptop

They will fix onsite for little problems, such as bad ram, bad hd, that sort
of thing.I have one of these contracts, purchased it last fall with my new
laptop.

That the laptop is junk, and I will never buy a laptop nor anything else
from Gateway ever again is another story.

Dan

news wrote:
> And, is their anything that I can do to force them to
>> actually come 'on-site' to fix it rather than sending out my
>> computer for a week or more waiting for them to repair it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> can't fix a laptop onsite
>
> and as far as i knew gatway salespeople were told that you could not
> sell an onsite service contract for a laptop

> > and as far as i knew gatway salespeople were told that you could not
> > sell an onsite service contract for a laptop

everyone has an outside vender building laptops
so who do really go to ?
they all are built about the same

good luck
peter