Norton Internet Security

I recently installed on my Gateway Performance 500 Norton Internet Security
2002. I have 3 questions.
1. Can I install NIS 2004 without deleting NIS 2002?
2. Every minute Symantec Live Update comes on. Is this normal?
3. Is there a Norton or Symantec Newsgroup?

Thank you,

Lyman
4 answers Last reply
More about norton internet security

    1. Maybe
    2. I do not think it is normal for live update to activate every minute.
    There has been allot of traffic about live update and problems with the
    program.
    3. Symantec.customerservice.general

    Good Luck

    -LJ

    "Lyman Bekeris" <amberlands@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I recently installed on my Gateway Performance 500 Norton Internet
    Security
    > 2002. I have 3 questions.
    > 1. Can I install NIS 2004 without deleting NIS 2002?
    > 2. Every minute Symantec Live Update comes on. Is this normal?
    > 3. Is there a Norton or Symantec Newsgroup?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Lyman

    See below. . .

    "Lyman Bekeris" <amberlands@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I recently installed on my Gateway Performance 500 Norton Internet
    Security
    > 2002. I have 3 questions.
    > 1. Can I install NIS 2004 without deleting NIS 2002?

    I believe Symantec wants you to uninstall any old version before installing
    the new. Don't do what I did and uninstall the old version (in this case,
    Norton SystemWorks), get interrupted and not install the new version
    immediately! Due to a remnant left over in the Registry my cable internet
    quit working. Installing the new (2004) version of Norton SystemWorks cured
    the problem by replacing the .DLL the uninstall had removed from the
    \system32 subdirectory but left a reference in the Registry.

    > 2. Every minute Symantec Live Update comes on. Is this normal?

    I don't think so. All my versions of Norton SystemWorks and Internet
    Security have used Live Update quietly in the background shortly after
    bootup. If the Virus Definitions were updated, a little box popped up over
    the System Tray for a few seconds to let me know Live Update had done its
    thing, then went away. You might check the Options for Norton Internet
    Security or Live Update to see if there is some way to make it run in a less
    obtrusive mode. It has to set a "schedule" for itself to run, otherwise,
    you'd have to run it manually, which is always an option, I guess.

    > 3. Is there a Norton or Symantec Newsgroup?

    There is a symantec.customerservice.general newsgroup. Since I have never
    snooped around in that newsgroup, I cannot say how much info you could get
    from it. Symantec does have its own forums, however, and I have found them
    to be rather useful at times. Symantec also has a fairly extensive
    Knowledge Base of articles which I have made use of in times past (the
    problem noted above with my cable internet after uninstalling SystemWorks
    2003 (or 2002?) was solved by searching around their Knowledge Base
    articles.

    Hope some of this helps,

    Turner

    > Thank you,
    >
    > Lyman

    Well some of those problems with live update have plagued my machine. I have
    spent the last two hours trying to fix it. I think I have it solved, the
    errors were LU1803 and LU1812. I uninstall Norton System works using the
    Norton CD. I used a registry edit from the Symantec site and install Live
    Update express. Most of everything seems normal for now.

    I say that corporate buy outs ruin good products and shows like Norton
    Utilities and Tech TV (R.I.P)

    "Big G" <m1james(nospam)@cox.net> wrote in message
    > 1. Maybe
    > 2. I do not think it is normal for live update to activate every minute.
    > There has been allot of traffic about live update and problems with the
    > program.
    > 3. Symantec.customerservice.general
    >
    > Good Luck
    >
    > -LJ
    >
    > "Lyman Bekeris" <amberlands@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > I recently installed on my Gateway Performance 500 Norton Internet
    > Security
    > > 2002. I have 3 questions.
    > > 1. Can I install NIS 2004 without deleting NIS 2002?
    > > 2. Every minute Symantec Live Update comes on. Is this normal?
    > > 3. Is there a Norton or Symantec Newsgroup?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Lyman

    I will post this about Norton Systemworks 2004. I will try to keep it
    short. I am an internet fan who only tries to fix something when it
    won't work.

    I purchased a CD version of Norton Systemworks 2004 and could not get
    it to install. I would get near the end, and an error 1335 would
    appear on the screen. It said I had a corrupt 'cabs.m18'. After
    wasting time trying to reinstall it, and uninstalling my 2003 version,
    and trying again, I reinstalled my 2003 so I could get on the internet
    and went to tech support at Symantec. At tech support they showed
    that this was a problem with the Password Manager part of the program
    not connecting up with something else.

    There they had a solution of installing after first putting the
    contents of the CD onto the hard drive, then installing from the hard
    drive. They told where to find instructions. But by then I had
    figured out what would work for me, right away anyway. I started
    reinstalling 2004, and when it asked for a complete install or a
    Custom install I clicked on a Custom install. When I got to the
    Custom install I just unclicked the Password Manager, and everything
    installed fine.

    When I looked at the Password Manager box on the screen though I
    noticed that it showed 0 bytes for Paasword Manager. All of the other
    clickable options had the amout of bytes listed. I don't really care
    about Password Manager, but it looked to me, a do it only when
    necessary computer fixer, that maybe they did not put any bytes on the
    disk for Password Manager.

    I will see if I can add Password Manager on one of these days, but
    maybe I won't either. I don't know if I want a Password Manager.
    Anyway I thought I would post about my error 1335 problem, which I
    fixed for myself anyway.

    Lester

    "Turner Morgan" <wa4mqy_mobile3@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<cadm290fhr@news3.newsguy.com>...
    > See below. . .
    >
    > "Lyman Bekeris" <amberlands@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > I recently installed on my Gateway Performance 500 Norton Internet
    > Security
    > > 2002. I have 3 questions.
    > > 1. Can I install NIS 2004 without deleting NIS 2002?
    >
    > I believe Symantec wants you to uninstall any old version before installing
    > the new. Don't do what I did and uninstall the old version (in this case,
    > Norton SystemWorks), get interrupted and not install the new version
    > immediately! Due to a remnant left over in the Registry my cable internet
    > quit working. Installing the new (2004) version of Norton SystemWorks cured
    > the problem by replacing the .DLL the uninstall had removed from the
    > \system32 subdirectory but left a reference in the Registry.
    >
    > > 2. Every minute Symantec Live Update comes on. Is this normal?
    >
    > I don't think so. All my versions of Norton SystemWorks and Internet
    > Security have used Live Update quietly in the background shortly after
    > bootup. If the Virus Definitions were updated, a little box popped up over
    > the System Tray for a few seconds to let me know Live Update had done its
    > thing, then went away. You might check the Options for Norton Internet
    > Security or Live Update to see if there is some way to make it run in a less
    > obtrusive mode. It has to set a "schedule" for itself to run, otherwise,
    > you'd have to run it manually, which is always an option, I guess.
    >
    > > 3. Is there a Norton or Symantec Newsgroup?
    >
    > There is a symantec.customerservice.general newsgroup. Since I have never
    > snooped around in that newsgroup, I cannot say how much info you could get
    > from it. Symantec does have its own forums, however, and I have found them
    > to be rather useful at times. Symantec also has a fairly extensive
    > Knowledge Base of articles which I have made use of in times past (the
    > problem noted above with my cable internet after uninstalling SystemWorks
    > 2003 (or 2002?) was solved by searching around their Knowledge Base
    > articles.
    >
    > Hope some of this helps,
    >
    > Turner
    >

    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Lyman

Gateway Norton Symantec Internet Security Computers