Patinidaho

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2005
I have an older ASUS A7V133 and an Athalon cpu 1.2ghz I think 1.2ghz is the max cpu the mobo can handle.
I KNOW many of you have oc'd this combo. The last system i oc'd was a DX4 100 and its time for a little tweeking again
Could you post some of your numbers if you remember them? so i have a target.

Cars trimble when i grab a screwdriver

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1.2? That should be a Thunderbird which can be unlocked.

The amount of overclock you might achieve depends on which model and batch code.

If you have a Thunderbird B (200 FSB) you might get 1.3 or 1.4 Ghz with stock cooling and VCore boosted to 1.85 v. With better cooling and a voltage mod you might do much better but it really potluck with the B's.

If you have a Thunderbird C (266 FSB) you can potentially go much higher depending on how much effort you put into your overclock.

The good overclocks for Tbird C started with batch code AVIA and got progressively better with AXIA, AXIAR (at least I think there was an "R" model), AYHJA, AYHJAR. With great air cooling, voltage mods, and some luck you can hit 1.7 Ghz. Without the voltage mod, somewhere in the 1.5 range was more typical but some people obtained better with pretty average cooling.

I didn't use an A7V133. I had/have an Epox 8KTA3PRO (same VIA KT133A chipset as the A7V133). The best I could do with a Tbird C 1.0 (AYHJAR batch) was 1.5 Ghz stable with mediocre cooling and a reasonable voltage of 1.85V. I was able to reach 1.6 (seemingly stable) with about 2.0 volt (my motherboard has factory overvolting up to 2.25 volt) but saw pretty high temperature temperatures, 60+ degrees at load.

With 2.1 volt I could POST at 1.7 Ghz but my PC was not stable in Windows. It didn't matter if I pushed my voltage to 2.25 volt, which definitely isn't safe with only air cooling.

I still use the Epox motherboard. Many of us owners of legacy motherboards found we could use a Tbred B even though the Thunderbird 1.4 was supposedly the maximum. The Tbreds run more stably and cooler than those old Thunderbird C's when pushed. My mod'd XP1700+ is running at 2.1 Ghz (~XP2600+ speed) at 15 x 140 Mhz. Been using at this speed for about 2 years now. Actually I briefly (about 8 months) had it working at 14 x 150 Mhz but that mod suddenly stopped working.

I'm not sure what luck A7V133 owners had. The overclocking success had more to do with the indvidual motherboard models and BIOS than it did with chipset.

Unfortunately you need an unlocked processor to overclock an A7V133. The only processors that are still unlocked are Mobile XP's and these aren't as easy to get working on the old motherboards as Tbreds were. Overclocking the bus is an option but will only get you small gains. The factory bus speed of a Tbird C is 133 Mhz (266) and upside max on your motherboard is only about 150-160 Mhz. You'd likely need PC150 memory or better to go that high, certainly not worth the investment at this time.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>