Sign in with
Your question

Metro 2033 Crashing

Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2013 1:10:31 AM

So I had just recently built my new (and first) gaming PC and was planning on breaking it in with Metro 2033, so I started up steam and it ran no problem. I got to the Main Menu, fiddle with the options for a bit and turned it off, when I realized that I had no sound. So I updated the drivers for my Sound Card and restarted my PC, which apparently I needed to do because Windows had downloaded 94 updates that needed to be installed.

So After my PC rebooted and my sound card was working I decided to run the Metro 2033 Benchmark that steam had hidden and when I ran the benchmark my screen turned black, my screen popped (for lack of a better word for what happens when the resolution changes) and the screen was still black for several minutes and I couldn't ALT+TAB out of it, so I used CTRL+ALT+DEL and ran the Task Manager, where a window popped up and said that Metro2033.exe stopped working. So I hit OK and the black window closes but the benchmark window is still open, so I go over to it and try to click on something and it goes opaque and I get the Whole "This program is not responding, do you want to wait for it or close it". I thought that was wierd, so I close the benchmark and try to run the game proper, thinking that it was just a problem with the benchmark, but the same thing happens when I try to run the game. I no longer go to the main menu, I just get a black screen I can't ALT+TAB out of.

I tried searching for a fix online, but the people who seem to have a similar problem to me, can actually hear sound and none of the fixes for their problems work on mine.

So does anyone have any ideas about why Metro worked earlier today, but now it doesn't?

Also my PC specs are

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k OC'd to 4.0GHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 with 2GB of VRAM

RAM : 16GB

and I have DirectX 11

so I can definitely play this game. It just keeps crashing.

More about : metro 2033 crashing

March 3, 2013 4:51:05 PM

try running other games in steam does this happen with them?
Do you have the latest drivers?
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2013 12:00:45 AM

I ended up uninstalling and re-installing the game and all of the Direct X drivers and I got it working.
m
l
March 4, 2013 1:35:04 AM

Ok I lied, apparently, after I reinstalled Metro (along with all the Direct X drivers and PhysX drivers) I load up the benchmark tool and start running through different settings so I know what settings I will get the best performance at. So I run through Benchmark about 5 times, and then I run Metro and change all my visual settings to match. I then quit out of it and go eat dinner.

While I eat dinner I turn off my PC.

I turn PC back on and try to run Metro and the problem returns where I have a black screen with no noise and the inability to ALT+TAB back to my desktop. SO what do I do now?
m
l
March 4, 2013 2:44:04 AM

matrik3000 said:
Ok I lied, apparently, after I reinstalled Metro (along with all the Direct X drivers and PhysX drivers) I load up the benchmark tool and start running through different settings so I know what settings I will get the best performance at. So I run through Benchmark about 5 times, and then I run Metro and change all my visual settings to match. I then quit out of it and go eat dinner.

While I eat dinner I turn off my PC.

I turn PC back on and try to run Metro and the problem returns where I have a black screen with no noise and the inability to ALT+TAB back to my desktop. SO what do I do now?

As mentioned before by others , does this issue occur only with Metro 2033?
m
l
March 4, 2013 7:02:51 PM

ZakX11 said:
As mentioned before by others , does this issue occur only with Metro 2033?

Yes, Skyrim will start up and play every time I run it. It is only Metro 2033 that is giving me this problem.
m
l
April 4, 2013 1:48:35 PM

I am having this exact problem, I have all the new drivers and yet it does this also at times, changing my resolution to 480p after it crashes.... :/ 
m
l
May 16, 2013 11:11:49 PM

same here... i'll see what i can find
m
l
!