Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this desktop good enough for a high quality game?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2013 1:31:03 AM

Hello, i'm trying to see if this desktop is good enough for a high quality game. Please insert any changes i should make.
•CAS: In-Win Mana 136 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
•CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
•COOLANT: Standard Coolant
•CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-3220 3.30 GHz 3MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
•CS_FAN: Default case fans
•FAN: Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink
•HDD: 500GB SATA-III 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
•IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
•KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
•MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
•MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen2 PCIe x16 & PCI
•MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
•NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
•OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
•POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
•SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
•SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
•VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 4GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+76] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

:sweat: 

More about : desktop good high quality game

March 3, 2013 4:18:55 PM

Not really, you are looking at low-medium. I don't know how much more you are willing to spend, but if you want to play things on high you will need to get at least a Radeon 7850. You should also get an i5 instead of the i3 if possible. 8GB of RAM would help, but that can easily be upgraded in the future really cheap.
m
l
March 4, 2013 7:55:46 AM

+1 the graphics card is not a gaming card which is the biggest issue by far. There are a few games that don't run well on the dual care i3 but not many. Upgrade the GPU to a 7750 minimum 7850 or better prefered. If you can get the 7850 and still upgrade the CPU then go to an i5.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 4, 2013 8:57:17 AM

Not at all.

A CPU featuring more cores like an i5-3xxx would be a great increase of performance. But don't get fooled by cores only, because single-core performance is very important. Intel has the best single-core performance and therefore they have the best performance in gaming, because a lot of games mostly utilized 2-4 cores. Getting the i5, would get you to the sweet spot, because it has the most mainstream number of cores.

But getting the better CPU wouldn't get you anywhere, if you didn't upgrade the GPU as well.

I don't know you budget or anything, but the least I would recommend for gaming is a GTX 650 or a Radeon 7750. Those two GPUs would let you play the latest games at low details at decent framerates.

However, if you don't aim above a GTX 660 or a Radeon 7870, then the i5 makes no sense. Then the current CPU you got now would serve you fine. Though you might experience some bottlenecking in the latest games that utilize more than 2 cores.
March 4, 2013 9:37:45 PM

Yeah, the GPU is definitely the first priority. CPU comes afterward if you have enough money.
m
l
March 5, 2013 1:46:14 AM

Best answer selected by bekojester.
m
l
Related resources
!