A64 3200+ @ 64C, too hot?

Squick

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2003
Hi All,

I wanted to first thank you all for the help you have given me in deciding what parts to build my new computer out of. I was not an overclocker, but I decided to give it a shot on my new computer. I upgraded from an Athlon XP 2200+ on a basic nForce2 board to an A64 3200+ Winchester on the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 board. After reading tons of advice I decided to go with cheap ram and save my money, which turned out to be very good advice. I purchased a gig of the basic Muskin PC3200 (~$140 for a gig if I recall).

After much tweaking and many silly mistakes like forgetting to turn down HT from x5 or changing the memory multiplier I got the chip from 2.0Ghz up to 2.6Ghz very stable. The memory is set to 166Mhz lock, I'm not sure which fraction that is, but it is running at 215.8Mhz with timings of 1T, 2.5, 3, 3, 5; it would not be happy with 2.0 CAS latency, but that was to be expected. I was able to run the memory stable up to 240Mhz at 1:1, but I noticed greater performance with a ratio in place and running 200Mhz faster on the processor and 25Mhz slower on the memory.

My question though is at idle the chip runs a nice 40 degrees C, but under maximum "real" load it gets up to 55, and running PRIME95 with the second option which claims to generate the most heat it gets up to 64 degrees C. That is by far the warmest I have ever run a chip... I am pretty sure it is OK, but I was curious what everyone else's thoughts were. I am using the stock/retail heatsink/fan and overvolting a touch to 1.5V. In addition the case temperature never varies much from 25C; it is well vented with a top blowhole and a fan right over the top of the heatsink blowing out the side.

I am not a gamer for the most part, but I do run video compression and rendering routines that can put many hours of 100% load on my processor, and I want to make sure I am not cooking this processor slowly, I would like to get 5 years of use out of it by passing it on to others who do not need a top of the line computer in a year or two.

And one other question I had was regarding amount of memory. Besides video work I also run virtualization programs such as Microsoft Virtual Server to simulate a lab of computers. With only a gig of ram I am limited to about five concurrent machines, two gigs would let me raise that significantly. However I have heard if I go with two gigs of ram I will have a difficult time overclocking, is that correct or am I mistaken? I would hate to have to run 600Mhz slower just to have more ram.

Thanks!

Eric

Squick

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2003
Hi wusy,

Thanks for the information on the temperature. During normal use, even while the CPU is 100% I have not seen it exceed 60C, so I am not worried.

1GB sticks are still a bit too pricey for me, so if I were to do a RAM upgrade it would be another pair of 512MB DIMMS, bringing me up to 4x512MB.

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
A64's do not oc nearly as well with 4 sticks and CAN cause problems. Its a limitation of the onboard memory controller. I believe that on the Nforce 3 250 and Via K8T800Pro's the BIOS trys to lock the Mem fsb at 200 when 4 sticks are installed. That's what it did on my board, i've read a couple of other posts with similar problems, ocz was gracious enough to trade in my 4x256 for 2x512, as far as how much it will oc i don't know, still waiting on my OCZ power stream to get back in stock.(and they have tighter timings than my older pair).

Asus A8V Deluxe(rev. 2.00) / A64 3200 / 1024mb OCZ DDR500 (2.5-3-3-8) / BFG 6800GT@405/1100 / Baracuda 120GB / Lian-Li PC-65 / Syncmaster 700NF / OCZ Power Stream 420