Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Battlefield
  • FPS
  • Performance
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2013 8:14:09 AM

Was running more than 100 fps on ultra, now i get 60-70 and down to 40 when shooting. What can worsen the performance?

More about : bf3 running flawlessly ultra fps drops

March 3, 2013 8:59:49 AM

temps, hdd fragmentation, bad registry, interference from your antivirus. can all play a part.
i recommend you use bf3 configurator and limit your fps to 60. the game only uses 60 data packets so running at higher fps wont bring any benefit.
but limiting the fps you will lower temps and increase your low end fps, which will result in smoother gameplay.
use a decent defrag tool like ultimate defrag, auslogics defrag, O&O defrag or defraggler all of these will optimize your drive way better than microsofts own.
m
l
March 3, 2013 9:38:46 AM

ok will try tomorrow morning, I'll give you an update. So these are the best ways to maintain a pc? I know about defrag obviously. I also have to upload pics of my setup, because I think my cable management is inefficient, could help bring temps down.
Thanks for the reply.
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2013 10:23:00 AM

try advanced systemcare 6 free it fixes your pc and boosts it really good. i had an old pc that could run 720p video without a problem but suddenly it coudln't even run 240p video's without lagging anymore so i used asc6 and now it is running really well
m
l
March 3, 2013 11:47:51 AM

unless your cables are a rats nest sitting in front of the fans it wont make that much difference.
as long as your air flow is balanced your components should be getting enough air.
occasionally a cable can cause turbulence and create a hotspot so getting them out the way will have a benefit but not a huge 1.

apps to use to keep your pc clean...
ccleaner.
ultimatedefrag or any of the others i mentioned.
windows 7 manager, disables or enables services that are (lononger)needed as well as offering other tuning options.(be carefull when using it though i just stick with the optomization wizard for the basics)
between the 3 you can pretty much keep your pc running tip top.
m
l
March 3, 2013 12:10:09 PM

dont use a defrag tool if you are using an ssd though.

would be better to disable starup devices.

click run

type msconfig

untick the boxes off stuff you dont use as soon as you turn pc on and then ok and restart

this will speed pc up
m
l
March 3, 2013 1:24:55 PM

If you have AMD 6000 series or older GPU and updated drivers to 12.10 or 13.1 recently, that might be the cause of performance drop. Install 12.8 drivers and it will be fixed.

FPS dropped ~25 percent on my 6850 with the new drivers and I noticed that the GPU was not used to it's full potential (total power consumption when playing Dirt 3 dropped from ~225W to ~205W and FPS from ~42 to ~31 along with it - the same with other games).
m
l
March 3, 2013 8:39:17 PM

this is my rig:
i5-3570k
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670
Asus P8Z77 V-PRo
Gskill 8GB 1866 RAM
1TB HD
256 GB SSD
850W PSU
All in a Carbide 500R, 3 fans connected to a built in fan controller: 200mm side fan, 2 front 120mm. The back exhaust is connected to the mobo, as well as the Noctua. I Built it in December, never really did extensive testing because it ran fine. I get 30C MAx idle and 55C full load for the CPU, and up to 65C on full load with the GPU. I'd expect that with the Noctua I'd get even lower temps. Also, fans for the GPU run up to 40% even when it runs at 98% full load when playing Crysis 3.
I'll be optimizing it with the aforementioned software. Am thinking of changing the fans since I heard the stock ones are not good, also adding another one. Also, what is the best way to use a fan controller? I keep it at low setting when surfing the net, switch it to medium when I'm about to start a game, then high when I play games. How do you deal with dust? The Carbide has so many openings, with positive pressure (1 exhaust in back, 3 intakes), should I buy this : http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16769/ffi-119/DEMCifl...
I'm also thinking of overclocking, but am kind of wary of it. Thanks for the comments!
m
l
March 4, 2013 3:45:49 PM

heizenbrg said:
this is my rig:
i5-3570k
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670
Asus P8Z77 V-PRo
Gskill 8GB 1866 RAM
1TB HD
256 GB SSD
850W PSU
All in a Carbide 500R, 3 fans connected to a built in fan controller: 200mm side fan, 2 front 120mm. The back exhaust is connected to the mobo, as well as the Noctua. I Built it in December, never really did extensive testing because it ran fine. I get 30C MAx idle and 55C full load for the CPU, and up to 65C on full load with the GPU. I'd expect that with the Noctua I'd get even lower temps. Also, fans for the GPU run up to 40% even when it runs at 98% full load when playing Crysis 3.
I'll be optimizing it with the aforementioned software. Am thinking of changing the fans since I heard the stock ones are not good, also adding another one. Also, what is the best way to use a fan controller? I keep it at low setting when surfing the net, switch it to medium when I'm about to start a game, then high when I play games. How do you deal with dust? The Carbide has so many openings, with positive pressure (1 exhaust in back, 3 intakes), should I buy this : http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16769/ffi-119/DEMCifl...
I'm also thinking of overclocking, but am kind of wary of it. Thanks for the comments!

yep your os is busted so try advanced systemcare 6 will help but selct all of it except for defragmenting because you have an ssd
m
l
March 4, 2013 4:13:32 PM

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overcloc... Try this tutorial, it goes over EVERYTHING needed for GTX 670 overclocking, and takes into account that each chip is different.Increase nVidia GTX performance with nVidia Inspector watch this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w... If you need step by step assistance consider How to Make Your Computer run Like New in 4 Easy Steps http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyJoGOYXfHs

m
l
!