control stick wear and tear

I mentioned a few days back that this game has got me using the sticks
on the pads much more than ever before, which was fine, then one pad's
left stick kept jamming in the up position so I swapped it for another
and after a few days I noticed a fine dust collecting under the
mushroom shaped top, on the shaft of the stick itself (ooer missus)
then tonight the left stick started jamming and I looked more closely,
hell, that's not dust, it's plastic, and that's a GROOVE worn into the
stick! It appears the forward motion of CJ while walking etc, plus a
couple of other games with similar motions, is wearing a groove which
occasionally catches on the rim of the pad's hole, hence the stick
sticking.

anyone else so heavy handed? Wonder what I could do to protect/repair
the things, they're not exactly cheap when I consider how short a time
I've had this particular pad (Bought the machine at xmas)
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

Electronic components, these days, aren't meant to last... there's no money
in it.

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

> Electronic components, these days, aren't meant to last... there's no money
> in it.

good point. I seem to find all new pads from Sony are tacky, not just
the buttons but the whole pad, a slightly tacky feeling as if it has
been washed off but not quite. I'm trying to think of something I have
lying around I can make a little 'collar' out of for each shaft. It
would have to be thin but firm and bendable so it's probably going to
be lethal games with tin cans
--

Paul Heslop wrote:
> I'm trying to think of something I have
> lying around I can make a little 'collar' out of for each shaft.

Like some sort of "cock ring" that horses wear in porn films?.....thought of
trying rubber bands?......just make sure they are not too tight.....dont
want to lose circulation.......but should help stop your shaft coming off in
your hand.........

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

M wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > I'm trying to think of something I have
> > lying around I can make a little 'collar' out of for each shaft.
>
> Like some sort of "cock ring" that horses wear in porn films?.....thought of
> trying rubber bands?......just make sure they are not too tight.....dont
> want to lose circulation.......but should help stop your shaft coming off in
> your hand.........

> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ouch! I managed a temp fix. Use some duble sided sticky tape, as the
backing is stiff enough to resist the force. only problem is it is so
stiff that the tape starts to lift off so I then split some sellotape
into very thin strips and wrapped it round a couple of times.
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

the ps2 control sticks are plentiful....walmart has tons of them..
some at the stores under 10 bucks

go to www.walmart.com and see what they have

coach

Coach Wyatt wrote:

> the ps2 control sticks are plentiful....walmart has tons of them..
> some at the stores under 10 bucks
>
> go to www.walmart.com and see what they have
>
> coach

I'm in the uk, but yeah you can get cheap ones. The ones i tried i
didn't like the feel of the buttons. I ended up going back to sony
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

I got 2 different types of controller for my XBox.........official S type
and a GameXpert .......for all games bar one I prefer the S type.....but
Burnout 3 I much prefer the GameXpert one......just the position of the
buttons make it easier to hold accelerate and boost for long periods.....

M wrote:

> I got 2 different types of controller for my XBox.........official S type
> and a GameXpert .......for all games bar one I prefer the S type.....but
> Burnout 3 I much prefer the GameXpert one......just the position of the
> buttons make it easier to hold accelerate and boost for long periods.....

Our xbox has two different ones but I don;t think I've ever used the
4gamers one. I think also the ps2 pad I bought which I hated was a
4gamers. The buttons seemed to take forever to actually do anything
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Ok so I bought this wireless controller from Pelican at Wally world. I
had it for a few weeks and all of a sudden in Need for Speed my car
keeps turning to the left of right, stops after I jiggle the analog
stick around a week later no matter what I do it doesn't stop well I got
ticked pulled the controller sensor thing and chucked it. On well it was
to damn small anyway felt like I was holding it with one hand half the
time.

Pecado Arcivers wrote:

> Ok so I bought this wireless controller from Pelican at Wally world. I
> had it for a few weeks and all of a sudden in Need for Speed my car
> keeps turning to the left of right, stops after I jiggle the analog
> stick around a week later no matter what I do it doesn't stop well I got
> ticked pulled the controller sensor thing and chucked it. On well it was
> to damn small anyway felt like I was holding it with one hand half the
> time.

:O) I don't like when analogue stuff goes wrong. The old ps1 pads, I
could strip, clean, put back together and so on. I think we never
bought more than one extra pad. These ps2 pads are breaking or getting
sticky all the time and if you do have to open them up they are a
bitch to put back together
--

In message <reposted.42377691.F3A4EEAD@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I also used to cut the sticks down on atari pads!

I used to that with homemade(!) BBC pads. I've found it increases
accuracy. I did the same to one of my Gamecube pads, bot was that
difficult. The little rod that the head of the analogue sits on is
*really* thin....

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <reposted.42377691.F3A4EEAD@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I also used to cut the sticks down on atari pads!
>
> I used to that with homemade(!) BBC pads. I've found it increases
> accuracy. I did the same to one of my Gamecube pads, bot was that
> difficult. The little rod that the head of the analogue sits on is
> *really* thin....
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

:O) Now that is dedication! The colleco pads were pretty cool, with
their almost pad-like sticks, if you've never seen one here's a
picture. the machine was out with the atari 2600 but kicked it's
backside as you could even plug a keyboard in etc... plus it had an
atari adapter! Could you imagine either Sony or MS giving permission
to the other to do that?
http://spoonman.roarvgm.com/sell/coleco/
our atari also had some good pads, this one had a steel shaft
http://www.atarimagazines.com/v8n5/Joystick.jpg
which our neighbour's kid managed to bend playing some track and field
thing, and this one
http://www.thosewerethedays.de/items/joysticks/atari_stick_2.jpg
but the buttons were very awkward on that pad... but this last one I
never saw, and I'm glad, as I need to keep what little sanity I have
http://tinyurl.com/46yoo

--

In message <42394158.A65E8B37@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> :O) Now that is dedication!

Anything to make control easier. Super Mario Sunshine was a real pain
the arse to get used to. the D-stick and buttons controlled all of his
fancy jumps and was often no surprise that he, for example, jumped the
wrong way, or didn't hang and shimmy from a cliff etc.

> The colleco pads were pretty cool, with their almost pad-like sticks,
> if you've never seen one here's a picture. the machine was out with
> the atari 2600 but kicked it's backside as you could even plug a
> keyboard in etc... plus it had an atari adapter! Could you imagine
> either Sony or MS giving permission to the other to do that?

Being only 21 I never used many of the early home computers. I've been
using Acorn kit since about four or five but it wasn't until a few
years later that I got involved with the technical aspect. I challenge
anybody to come up with another company like Acorn that relied mostly
on third party hardware and other peripherals!

I can also still remember a really nice burn I got on my finger trying
to make (I think) either a cassette lead for an Acorn Electron or a
dual joystick lead for the Master 128.

Fun days :eek:)

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42394158.A65E8B37@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > :O) Now that is dedication!
>
> Anything to make control easier. Super Mario Sunshine was a real pain
> the arse to get used to. the D-stick and buttons controlled all of his
> fancy jumps and was often no surprise that he, for example, jumped the
> wrong way, or didn't hang and shimmy from a cliff etc.

I just couldn't get used to long sticks. I always hated proper
joysticks too. I nearly died of ecstasy when the master system came
out!

> > The colleco pads were pretty cool, with their almost pad-like sticks,
> > if you've never seen one here's a picture. the machine was out with
> > the atari 2600 but kicked it's backside as you could even plug a
> > keyboard in etc... plus it had an atari adapter! Could you imagine
> > either Sony or MS giving permission to the other to do that?
>
> Being only 21 I never used many of the early home computers. I've been
> using Acorn kit since about four or five but it wasn't until a few
> years later that I got involved with the technical aspect. I challenge
> anybody to come up with another company like Acorn that relied mostly
> on third party hardware and other peripherals!

I don't think i ever tried an acorn. i came into computers much later
than game machines. my dad bought one of the first pong/light gun
machines so we've basically had them all their existences. We did have
a zx and a little commodore, but got into both the Atari and Amiga
computers as they died. didn't stop us having lots of fun with them
though and i was sad to let my amiga slip out of use when we got our
first pc.

> I can also still remember a really nice burn I got on my finger trying
> to make (I think) either a cassette lead for an Acorn Electron or a
> dual joystick lead for the Master 128.
>
> Fun days :eek:)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
:O) It was so much fun just messing with stuff. now I feel like even
installing a single program onto my newest pc will unbalance the whole
thing.